Wolf's Ongoing Discovery Build Thread

Scott Brady

Founder
So you are lifting by the nerf, that seems decent. That guy looks like he's not. Sounds like maybe I should put a tube in mine if I'm planning on using 2x4, for one of these.

jackadapt6.JPG

That is what I use for the 110. The front (commercial) ARB and rear have jacking ports. Super safe and secure and as the vehicle lifts and tilts, the lifting port rotates on the bar. Pretty slick IMO.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Now what happens with that long extension as the vehicle and/or jack rotate in the *other* plane? Something has gotta give?

Anyway, my bumper was done, I was going to paint it tonight, but I will weld in some tube anyway. It's been in the back of my mind for a while and might as well do it.

110user

Observer
Well since it hasn't moved...... I'll add my 2 cents
To me there really isnt a debate here . I have sliders on the 110 (essential) and I carry a high lift. After South America I am strongly considering carrying 2 high lifts and 4 waffle boards for the next round. I never used the winch once when stuck in 10 months of overlanding. There was never a tree with in reach.

We did use the high lift again and again and again and twice wished we had two and more waffle boards because the truck kept sinking in the mud (that one took 8 hours to get out of). Yes they can be dicey but If I had a choice between a winch and a high lift I would take the high lift.

I do not have the sleeves in my sliders or bumpers for the jack, but they are going in one of these days. IMHO for overlanding, there is no substitute for highlifts.

muskyman

Explorer
Well since it hasn't moved...... I'll add my 2 cents
To me there really isnt a debate here . I have sliders on the 110 (essential) and I carry a high lift. After South America I am strongly considering carrying 2 high lifts and 4 waffle boards for the next round. I never used the winch once when stuck in 10 months of overlanding. There was never a tree with in reach.

We did use the high lift again and again and again and twice wished we had two and more waffle boards because the truck kept sinking in the mud (that one took 8 hours to get out of). Yes they can be dicey but If I had a choice between a winch and a high lift I would take the high lift.

I do not have the sleeves in my sliders or bumpers for the jack, but they are going in one of these days. IMHO for overlanding, there is no substitute for highlifts.

Pull Pal and a hydro winch can make those long muddy stretches alot faster :D

110user

Observer
It is a common misconception that a pull palls will work with a heavy truck (think loaded for travel). Ive seen it, they dont. wish they did though!:smiley_drive:

Scott Brady

Founder
It is a common misconception that a pull palls will work with a heavy truck (think loaded for travel). Ive seen it, they dont. wish they did though!:smiley_drive:

In what scenario did you find the Pull-Pal didn't work? There are certainly times when a pilot hole is required, but even in soft sand and deep mud we have been able to make them bite.

I am sure there are many factors at play, but it would be good to hear your thoughts on the failure.

Thanks

110user

Observer
Sure, I only personally observed once but the same gentleman (German) told me of the other time it failed him. His truck was a loaded toyota (pop top, camper interior...very nice) must have been at least 3000kg's. I saw the sand, didn't do a thing. Just pulled right out after the whole was dug, made a great plow though! He was in deep on both axles and the rear was fully engulfed.

Second he described to me was in the mud, it was in the Andes where some places are just grass (a similar situation to our worst getting stuck experience). He stated the ground was saturated and they became terminally stuck. It can literally be like a swamp up there. Tried the pull pall, he said they dug the hole, positioned, and tried to pull. The suction combined with the weight of the vehicle caused it to just plow again. A highlift and sand ladders and a bunch of digging got him out (mangled the aluminum ladders though).

He swore them off. It was a funny conversation because it is classic overland complaining.... " I have been carrying this big heavy piece of shizer for 20,000km's and it is useless!!" I have said that a couple times!

I'm not saying they don't work, but GVW and degree of stuck is major a factor.

Mike_rupp

Adventurer
In what scenario did you find the Pull-Pal didn't work? There are certainly times when a pilot hole is required, but even in soft sand and deep mud we have been able to make them bite.

I am sure there are many factors at play, but it would be good to hear your thoughts on the failure.

Thanks

Scott, it is a common misconception that the average person has the foggiest idea of how to properly use recovery gear.

SeaRubi

Explorer
Here Rob how about a nice civil responce :)

the "body damage notwithstanding" part cant be ignored.

take a look at this pic.

attachment.php
(thanks Green perfect shot)

See how far back the sill is from the outer edge of the door. There is really no way to reach all the way under and get the rolled up lip of the nose of the highlift past the back side of the sill. This would then leave the highlift only in contact at the rolled lip and that will cause a slip for sure.

See once again there is internet advice being given on something that really I doubt has been done. Using the high lift like that would destroy the doors. Destroying the doors for a single recovery would just not be worth while IMHO.

which is why i had the door open when the jack was hooked up to the sill. which, on my RR, was pretty flat. see, if you're stuck out on the trail all alone, because your slider+winch friends are at work and you played hookey to go wheel (like I used to do every couple of weeks or so) and all you have is a hi-lift and a highcentered range rover, you learn to be creative.

For the sake of your cries for safety Thom, I'll agree with you here and retract the statement about relying on the sills. It's probably a bad idea. A really bad idea, actually. It's also probably a bad idea to use the receiver as a jack point, or jate rings on the front with the stock bumper. You can go ahead and critique my unsafe redneck ways with plywood some more so that others are well warned. they will also not have to come back and embarass themselves with bad technique to be called out by folks of your ilk and knowing ways. I tried to find some pics of the sills on my old trucks but the only that turned up was some video of me swinging the plastic sill around like a sword after it done fell off the truck during a wheeling trip.

also bad news is using plywood for a skid plate.

rubi4.jpg

In fact, now that I think about it, there are a whole ton of things I do that should not be repeated here. I won't discuss the dozens of times we recovered 1/2 ton pickups in muddy fields using come alongs. or the joy of spreading the frame rails with your hi-lift to let a busted t-case to free-fall to the floor. or using a support in the back of your rickety garage as a winch point to drag a dead rig nosed in to the garage. i shouldn't mention using the "W" of my warn jeep bumper as a jack point and then driving over the jack to clear the earth-mover skidplate. all kinds of great stories I can think up that look and sound real questionable. I'm sure you have none to share.

So, from here on out, Thom, I promise for you that I'll keep my recovery tips to myself, to spare the others. You can critique all you want but it's not going to change the memories, the challenges, or the fun I've had out on the trail without you or your criticism, nor will it in the future.

happy trails,
-ike

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal

Members online