Yeti and the Marshmallow

MrBeast

Explorer
I am also going to add, dont worry so much about the small areas, your van is about 288 cubic feet, it will take next to nothing to heat/cool it, as long as you get the big pannels insulated you will be fine.

You arent shooting monkeys into space, your building a Van into an RV. :ylsmoke:

Basement Yeti

Explorer
Should I try and seal the back doors as best as possible from the outside elements and use cotton insulation? They are the thickest area to insulate, about 3 or 4 inches.

I already have the stuff, if I am going to use it on the roof and walls I might as well use it for the doors verses buying more insulation.

MrBeast

Explorer
Should I try and seal the back doors as best as possible from the outside elements and use cotton insulation? They are the thickest area to insulate, about 3 or 4 inches.

I already have the stuff, if I am going to use it on the roof and walls I might as well use it for the doors verses buying more insulation.

Id be hesitant to use it on the doors, immagine what it will be like if it gets wet...

The foam on the other hand, wont retain much water and will dry fairly quickly.

Ditch the cotton, get foam.

MrBeast

Explorer
and an additional thought on that, on your back doors you can probably cut pieces of 2" thick foam to fit snugly in them requiring no glue, if they get wet you can pull em back out and let em dry.

You cant exactly do that with cotton.

Basement Yeti

Explorer
I'll do some more research on upholstery foam and decide. Either way, I am done researching. I'm tired, and bored and I just want this done. It's being done next week so I can put it behind me and move ahead.

I ordered a quart of this stuff to treat rust spots.
http://www.thenaturalabode.com/mm5/...Code=924&Category_Code=liquids&Store_Code=TNA

I also purchased my Dewalt jig saw.

Tomorrow I am going to Home Depot to get the rest of the stuff on my list. 5200 adhesive sealant, a metal brush, some paint brushes, expanding foam in a can, spray adhesive, and 6mm vapor barrier.

This is going to get done next week. Tired of trying to find the perfect or most ecological solution. I just want it done.

MrBeast

Explorer
I'll do some more research on upholstery foam and decide. Either way, I am done researching. I'm tired, and bored and I just want this done. It's being done next week so I can put it behind me and move ahead.

I ordered a quart of this stuff to treat rust spots.
http://www.thenaturalabode.com/mm5/...Code=924&Category_Code=liquids&Store_Code=TNA

I also purchased my Dewalt jig saw.

Tomorrow I am going to Home Depot to get the rest of the stuff on my list. 5200 adhesive sealant, a metal brush, some paint brushes, expanding foam in a can, spray adhesive, and 6mm vapor barrier.

This is going to get done next week. Tired of trying to find the perfect or most ecological solution. I just want it done.

And Kyle my friend, you are learning the difference between what works on paper and what is realistic. Many things sound good, but are not practical, and I think you will find through your project and through your travels if you greet the world with eyes wide open, you will be suprised how much thier is to see, and how much of what you have been taught about the way the world is, is total crap!

Basement Yeti

Explorer
And Kyle my friend, you are learning the difference between what works on paper and what is realistic. Many things sound good, but are not practical, and I think you will find through your project and through your travels if you greet the world with eyes wide open, you will be suprised how much thier is to see, and how much of what you have been taught about the way the world is, is total crap!

Agreed, some stuff just looks better through rose colored lenses but it's actually a steaming pile.

I'll do some stuff eco and healthy, but screw it, we'll all die some day, from something. I'll give myself a freaking aneurysm before I find a perfect solution.

I've been watching your You Tube videos and checking in on your thread. Dude, you have some serious talent. I can't wait to work with you on a bumper, make this thing mean.

I see this little 4x4 Toyota pickup roaming around here with tubular steel front and rear bumpers. Would those kinds of bumpers work on my van?

MrBeast

Explorer
Agreed, some stuff just looks better through rose colored lenses but it's actually a steaming pile.

I'll do some stuff eco and healthy, but screw it, we'll all die some day, from something. I'll give myself a freaking aneurysm before I find a perfect solution.

I've been watching your You Tube videos and checking in on your thread. Dude, you have some serious talent. I can't wait to work with you on a bumper, make this thing mean.

I see this little 4x4 Toyota pickup roaming around here with tubular steel front and rear bumpers. Would those kinds of bumpers work on my van?

All those kind of bumpers are going to do is throw a ton of unessasary weight at your van and cause stuff to prematurely wear out.

I am going to build you a heavy back bumper out of 3x6" .250 box tube so as that if anyone rear ends you, it will help protect your van/home, and it will be stout enough to hold everything the swing away rack is going to carry.

On the front if we build you a bumper I am going to recomend using .125" thick material because it is ligter, and it will be way easier on your IFS front end.

They arent exactly what you would call the strongest thing in the world.

I dont want to see you put a big giant heavy moose masher on there and wind up having a ball joint break causing you to put it dirty side up shiny side down.

And thank you on the fab skills, Doing that kind of stuff probably makes me happier than anything else.. well except for one thing... :victory:

Basement Yeti

Explorer
All those kind of bumpers are going to do is throw a ton of unessasary weight at your van and cause stuff to prematurely wear out.

I am going to build you a heavy back bumper out of 3x6" .250 box tube so as that if anyone rear ends you, it will help protect your van/home, and it will be stout enough to hold everything the swing away rack is going to carry.

On the front if we build you a bumper I am going to recomend using .125" thick material because it is ligter, and it will be way easier on your IFS front end.

They arent exactly what you would call the strongest thing in the world.

I dont want to see you put a big giant heavy moose masher on there and wind up having a ball joint break causing you to put it dirty side up shiny side down.

And thank you on the fab skills, Doing that kind of stuff probably makes me happier than anything else.. well except for one thing... :victory:

Nice, whatever you think will work man.

And. :Wow1:

MrBeast

Explorer
Nice, whatever you think will work man.

And. :Wow1:

I am into things grounded in common sense.

And I was bumming around on craigslist today, thinking about trying to put a 90's model chevy van grille in my truck, like this one.

http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/2259425795.html

3kc3m93o55Y05Z45Q4b3b0af90feebe361226.jpg

Basement Yeti

Explorer
Today I went and bought all the supplies I will need to paint and insulate my van. I got some Sherwin-Williams rust inhibiting paint, a wire brush to scour rust and bare metal spots, some 3M hardcore spray adhesive, some 4mm vapor barrier, some washers for my back up camera, and some plastic conduit for wiring.

I came home and began dismantling the interior. It was quite easy, and soon I had my headliner trimmed.

It's not perfect and I wandered a bit with my sharpie, but I don't care, it will be covered with a lip from the rear roof.

Here find that wiring from the back runs under my foot board. Meaning I don't need to wait to put the front back together once I insulate, I can drop it down through the pillar plastic.

These cool plastic tabs lock into holes in the ribs, I saved them from the back and will use them to secure my head liner right behind the overhead dome light.

This is what my room looks like. All my headliner and trim stuff is still in my van, I will wait till tomorrow to bring it up because I won't have any room to walk. Boy, my sister is going to be pissed. Haha.

Here are some photos from my failed attempt at installing speakers a few days ago.

Soon thereafter I rage quit and had someone install them for me.

Tomorrow I will clean and prep the rear for paint, paint the rear, insulate and vapor barrier the front roof, and re-assemble the headliner/trim, and probably seal a few small holes.

Basement Yeti

Explorer
Oh man yes. It's really nice to finally be moving ahead.

It's funny, I ended up going with a spray paint. I was just like, screw it, I need to get all my supplies today.

That van isn't moving until the entire interior is painted, insulated, and the vapor barrier is up.

I bought 3M adhesive spray, my plan is to use it to hold the insulation in place, and glue up the vapor barrier. I also got DOW Great Stuff expanding foam for places where I'll be screwing my wood paneling in, to prevent heat bridges and water in the walls.

I just have to be certain the insulation and vapor barrier are where they need to be, because the dude says that 3M stuff will NOT let go without a powerful solvent. We sprayed some on the vapor barrier to be sure it wouldn't melt it...lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilgirl