Yeti and the Marshmallow

Basement Yeti

Explorer
I haven't buttoned anything up back there and can still run wiring. I'm going to run a conduit along that center rib for my interior lighting, and roof vent.

I have 3 OEM dome lights that come on when the doors are open, and a 4th aftermarket light that comes on only with a switch.

All I am going to do is disconnect the aftermarket dome light from the van battery, one wire. And leave the OEM lights to run off the relay when the doors are open, and off van battery. If I will have my doors open and don't want those lights on draining the battery it's as simple as hitting the dome light over ride button to shut them off.

That aftermarket dome light is ok, but I'm going to add some more lighting to my van. I think I might use some cool LED rope lights around the perimeter of my roof.

Basement Yeti

Explorer
Well I do know I am going to buy some LED light bulbs to replace my dome lights.

Fluorescents are a good idea, don't LEDs give off a funny unatural light? I might want a more normal light.

wrcsixeight

Adventurer
LED's vary greatly in light color and output.

You want warm white bulbs to be a closer light to incandescent.

LED replacement bulbs do not always work good in Incandescent housings.

I have a couple reading lights Designed around Nichia LED's which are pure white, no blue at all. I now prefer them for reading over yellow incandescents.
Some LED Light sites:
http://www.sailboatstuff.com/litelist.html

http://www.sailorsams.com/mall/LED_strip.asp

http://www.ledtrailerlights.com/

http://autolumination.com/

http://www.superbrightleds.com/

If you are going for replacement bulbs, Buy one and try it out before committing to going all LED.

I have a 12 feet of red LED's rope light. Great for preserving night vision makes it easier to fall back asleep after a late night Pee bottle deposit.

Basement Yeti

Explorer
Her farts don't stink...legally.

Well, Marshmallow passed smog today, good little van. Up early tomorrow to go to the DMV for registration.

It's worth noting just having that part of the roof insulated dulls the noise of the ride SIGNIFICANTLY. It's quite amazing. Today when it gets cooler and after I've had a nap I'll do the rest of the roof.

The mechanics are amused with my project...and the black metal that greeted them when they turned on my van.

Basement Yeti

Explorer
Need some help/opinions.

I am going to go with a Fantastic vent, this much I know. But I need a way to run the vent.

Should I get some kind of battery pack as a temporary solution until Mr Beast and I make a battery compartment?

kjp1969

Explorer
Need some help/opinions.

I am going to go with a Fantastic vent, this much I know. But I need a way to run the vent.

Should I get some kind of battery pack as a temporary solution until Mr Beast and I make a battery compartment?

Why not just wire it to the dome light circuit?

MrBeast

Explorer
Need some help/opinions.

You should just hook it up to the van's battery, it doesnt draw that much, and it will be temporary, just need to figure out where all the circuits for the back of your van are going to be run to and run the wire there, and from there run it to the van battery, that way when we install the battery box, it will be really easy to get it routed to the right place. In fact, id run a piece of #10 from the MELC under the hood to the back where you are going to put your power distrubution and then run the fan off of that, and later that #10 will be run down to charge the house batteries.

Basement Yeti

Explorer
You should just hook it up to the van's battery, it doesnt draw that much, and it will be temporary, just need to figure out where all the circuits for the back of your van are going to be run to and run the wire there, and from there run it to the van battery, that way when we install the battery box, it will be really easy to get it routed to the right place. In fact, id run a piece of #10 from the MELC under the hood to the back where you are going to put your power distrubution and then run the fan off of that, and later that #10 will be run down to charge the house batteries.

Ok I'll do that!

My MELC is on the driver side of my van. Since we will be installing a battery box on that side of the van and I will be re purposing that 10 gauge wire to charge those batteries I should run it along the drivers side of the van to that general area?

This weekend I will finally get around to punching a hole in my firewall and running the wiring for my camera.

Come to think of it, if I am running that 10 gauge wire to the back of my van is there any way I could use it for the camera the aftermarket dome light, and the fan temporarily?

MrBeast

Explorer
Ok I'll do that!

My MELC is on the driver side of my van. Since we will be installing a battery box on that side of the van and I will be re purposing that 10 gauge wire to charge those batteries I should run it along the drivers side of the van to that general area?

This weekend I will finally get around to punching a hole in my firewall and running the wiring for my camera.

Come to think of it, if I am running that 10 gauge wire to the back of my van is there any way I could use it for the camera the aftermarket dome light, and the fan temporarily?

That is how you SHOULD do it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilgirl