Yeti and the Marshmallow

dsw4x4

Adventurer
Yedi,
Not derail the thread once again but!
That craigslist e-mail is a spam they use it to hack into your account then post bogus ads to collect e-mails to sell for spam. If your quick you can access your cl account through cl not that bogus e-mail, change your pass word and save it or close it and start a new one. If you had current ads you will probably find they are now gone and replaced by bogus ads. I went through this same thing a few days ago.
You may now resume your regular programming.
P.S. your van is looking like it will turn out to be a sweet rig when finished good luck with the build and the trip.
Derek

Basement Yeti

Explorer
I wasn't logged in when I posted the ad, my ad is still there. I never clicked the hyperlink in the e-mail so I am good. But thanks.

And thanks for the compliments. It's moving slowly. But once I get my records and get the van to the mechanic, and get that mirror I can really get things moving! Tools, GPS, some painting supplies, records, mirror, and backup camera should all arrive this week. I expect by late next week to have jacked up my torsion bars, added larger all terrain tires, soon thereafter I can paint the rims, hood, mirrors, and grill, and clean up my light assembly. Then we can finally start on the interior!

With Mr. Beast's very enticing offer, I might be leaving earlier and headed to Texas for upgrades.:sombrero:

Btw. I found a light switch in my van earlier, it's wired to the center dome light, there is also a second rear light. I'll disconnect both from the van battery and cap that lead off and wire the two dome lights to the house battery, and the rear one to another light switch or that same light switch. Saves me some work!

I also found a tie down strap, some screws, a hook, a heavy duty length of hose, some envelops with names on them, and a note from a wife to her husband...haha.

Last edited:

MrBeast

Explorer
On the subject of lighting, I strongly recomend that you have a dome light in the back you can turn on from the front seat. I do not know how many times I heard something weird in the sleeper when I was trucking over the road and turned the light back there on, I was reminded of this when that light stopped working for a while.

Basement Yeti

Explorer
There is a dome light over ride switch in the front of the van. I'm sure I could wire it in such a way I can use it to turn my lights on.

MRC

Your main goal right now should be to get the bare minimum of equipment, and hit the road. Use your money for traveling.

I think it might be easier to get a small single burner stove that runs off disposable bottles, a hand pump for a 7 gal jug, and a small waste water jug, and a small fridge, a hammock, and call it good after insulating the van and making it mechanically sound.

Do this.
Be as frugal as possible.
Once you have a few months experience living in your van, you will have a much better idea on where to best spend your money and what you need. Only then will you be able to make a wise investment backed by your personal experience.

Cheers,
Mike

Basement Yeti

Explorer
Yeah, dig. I am still waiting on those service records and passenger side mirror.

Ok, the passenger side mirror is the right size. I am a dummy and didn't realize mirrors were measured diagnostically like TV screens. If anyone ever needs a stock 2003 Astro cargo van mirror, they are 10 5/16" diagonally. It will be here in a few days.

Last edited:

Basement Yeti

Explorer
I'll be getting my tools, rear center view mirror, and service records today. The rest should arrive in a few more days. I need to source some silicone glue to affix my passenger side mirror glass to the housing so it doesn't rattle off again. I don't feel safe driving without that mirror, even if it is legal here for me to drive as long as I have a center view mirror, I can't see my blind spot and bicyclists are everywhere!

I don't feel like ordering it online as I'd have to wait for it and my mirror will be here Thursday. I bribed my sister with a coffee and she is going to take me to get some.

In the mean time I can pull the bulkhead and those rubber mats out and do some cleaning. Then when I get it back from the mechanic I can crank up the torsion bars, and go get some new tires, and an alignment.

After that I can go get some painting, insulating, and paneling supplies and start work on making it livable!

Basement Yeti

Explorer
Got my tool set, center view mirror, and some glue today. Center view mirror doesn't fit the tab currently on my windshield, I must replace it. Sitting there though, I am not sure the mirror and tab can hold the weight of the monitor I am getting that clips into it, I might mount the mirror to a support beam in my roof... The tool set is far larger than I had anticipated. But I'm sure if I find I don't need something in it I can leave it behind and put the tools in a smaller container.

Cruisn

Adventurer
Got my tool set, center view mirror, and some glue today. Center view mirror doesn't fit the tab currently on my windshield, I must replace it. Sitting there though, I am not sure the mirror and tab can hold the weight of the monitor I am getting that clips into it, I might mount the mirror to a support beam in my roof... The tool set is far larger than I had anticipated. But I'm sure if I find I don't need something in it I can leave it behind and put the tools in a smaller container.

I wouldn't leave many tools behind, that is a smallish kit anyways, buy a strong canvass bag and put all the tools in that. its a bit of a pain to search for sockets, but now you dont have to deal with a bunch of wasted space from the plastic box.

Basement Yeti

Explorer
What I was going to do was write down what tool I used and how often and see which tools weren't used. Maybe I underestimate how useful the entire kit will be.

I called some stores today and found the paint, radiant barrier, insulation, and wood I want in stock at a few. So that phase of the project will go through in a few weeks.

I want the van ready to go by the last few weeks of April. My mom is coming out to see my brother in law off and my mother and I are going on a little road trip. Afterward I'll probably take off toward Texas to meet up with Nick, AKA Mr. Beast.

Hey Nick, I hope you don't mind me using your first name, I didn't get to measure my van today, I was running around helping my sis with stuff and I've got a bit of a flare up going on. I'll take care of it tomorrow, thanks brother.

MrBeast

Explorer
Its all good man,

and when it comes to the tools, only a fool would leave one behind he could have brought with him, because you never know when you are going to need it.

Trust me, more tools means a better chance of survival, when you are on the road tools are very much a part of your life blood. They are just as essential as food water and shelter.

Basement Yeti

Explorer
Its all good man,

and when it comes to the tools, only a fool would leave one behind he could have brought with him, because you never know when you are going to need it.

Trust me, more tools means a better chance of survival, when you are on the road tools are very much a part of your life blood. They are just as essential as food water and shelter.

Good point man, good point. Tomorrow I'll put those tools to good use and gut most of the interior and do some cleaning. Seems kinda pointless since I have to put it all back in, then take it out again to paint and insulate. But I need something to do and none of my stuff is here yet, nor my paperwork so I can't bring it to my mechanic.

My sister is a nurse and I'm having her teach me about first aid kits and how to do basic stuff. She gave me this cool book about first aid treatment and self care and is putting together a first aid kit for me. Today I learned how to treat heat burns and chemical burns. I know a lot about medical treatment as I spent a lot of time in the hospital. I've glued my own wounds closed and such, but it's always nice to learn from a pro.

I've been putting stuff in my van that will stay there at all times and won't be touched, putting together a bag of 'emergency stuff' too. Even though I'll be living in it and will have food, clothes, and water, I want a source of emergency supplies just in case.

I used to be big into preparedness before I got outside my own skin. At least I know what I need.

greg mgm

Explorer
Yeti- I am very impressed with your progress. Not long ago you were asking about what vehicle to buy....then you went out and bought the van. :victory:

Can you tell us more about the trip you plan to do and how long you will be living in the van?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3