Yeti and the Marshmallow

Basement Yeti

Explorer
Yeti- I am very impressed with your progress. Not long ago you were asking about what vehicle to buy....then you went out and bought the van. :victory:

Can you tell us more about the trip you plan to do and how long you will be living in the van?

Thanks for all your support guys. I'm sorry things haven't moved that much on my build since I got the van. It's just very slow going with limited finances and resources. Today I am going to take the passenger side mirror off and diagnose the rattle, Ihatemybike seems to think it's aftermarket seeing as how the mirror was installed with sticky pads vs. glue, so I reckon the mirror was damaged. I'll try and fix the rattle so when I replace the glass it doesn't shake off again.

I'll also be pulling out the bulkhead, trimming the rubber mat, and doing some cleaning.

I bought some Liquid Nails at Home Depot, I've read online about people using them to attach car mirrors. I couldn't get down to ACE to get any silicone adhesive. So I hope it works.

As for my trip, 5 years or so for starters. I think I am going to go around in circles, going from the East in the Fall, to the South/South West/West in the Winter and Spring, North in the Summer, and then back East.

I have a budget of about 200ish a month for gas, which limits me to about 1000 miles a month at current gas prices. So I'll move 30 or so miles a day, or do bigger jumps and camp out for a little while.

My goal is to hit as many national forests and historical landmarks as possible, as well as reaching many of the extreme points of the United States extreme North, South, East, West, and Center. I'd also like to fly into Barrow Alaska, drive to the Arctic Ocean, drive to Yellowknife, and a few other lofty goals in these few years.

Can someone tell me if this stuff would be any better to glue my mirror to the housing?
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Permatex-80050-Clear-Silicone--3-Ounce/dp/B0002UEPVI/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1299698748&sr=1-1"]Amazon.com: Permatex 80050 Clear RTV Silicone- 3-Ounce: Automotive[/ame]

It's available at Ace Hardware and I can get some today.

Last edited:

wrcsixeight

Adventurer
I think Silicone is more of a sealant than an adhesive.

For a permanent adhesive/sealant check out 3M 5200.
If you get it, use the fast cure version.

It is a moisture cured product and dry conditions like are forecast here in SD will significantly increase cure time.

wrcsixeight

Adventurer
I did not realize it was for the interior mirror. Sorry.

3m 5200 is too expensive for that use. It only has a short shelf life once the tube is punctured too.

I think they sell specific rear view mirror glue at a/p stores

Basement Yeti

Explorer
Nope, it's for the passenger side exterior mirror, sorry. Nick, the two center beams are 42" apart.

And to the good stuff! Marshmallow gets liposuction, and I find out she is a filthy beast (Don't tell her I said that)

I finally started the process of converting the interior of my van. It's going to be a long road but it felt great to finally move ahead.

After some tweaking to the rear door mechanism I finally get it to open. It turns out my rear door handle is rubbish and probably needs replacement.

The driver side doors arm to control how far the door is gone, the mount destroyed.

Healthy side.

This is a door latch (Meme reference) It gets stuck.

Time to get rid of that bulkhead and nasty floor mat.

Some few hundred bolts later.

Another few hundred bolts later.

I was going to ask for help on this. I regret not doing so. Took me 30 minutes to get it free from the pillar.

The plastic is all jacked up, I should replace it.

There's holes in the floor where the bulkhead was secured, I believe they are allowing water seepage.

The mats are disgusting, and trapping moisture and snot. I decide to extricate them right behind the bulkhead. Expecting to find rust...

Voila!

100lbs of crap.

Felt awesome to get some serious work done. A few random notes.

This lump of metal serves to secure the roadside kit, it must be removed...

My door seal is rotted and needs fixin'.

Marshmallow has a light switch, woo!

Next I'll replace my passenger side mirror, trim the headliner if possible, clean the interior, and bring her to the mechanic for a look see!

Silverado

Adventurer
Definately save the rubber mat as a template if you decide to install some carpet in the back.

It's possible that the water seepage could have been from someone hosing out the interior. I know a guy who did that with his company truck with the rubber floor; opened both doors and let the pressure washer go to town :eek:

Basement Yeti

Explorer
I already chucked it. I have no where to store it here, plus it was all nasty and crud. I don't mind a bit more legwork if it means getting rid of it. Possibly, but it rained a few days ago so that seems more logical.

Checked the mail a few minutes ago, my mirror arrived early. I didn't take photos of the installation, I was too busy gluing myself to Marshmallow...we're inseparable....I stuffed the housing and arm with foam to absorb some vibration, let's see if it works.

MrBeast

Explorer
If memory serves, I think that the astro uses the same mirror as the 88-98 GMT400 series trucks.

Glad to see you are making some progress, I was at it pretty hard all day as well.

Basement Yeti

Explorer
Interesting. I just hope this one doesn't fall out. I used the sticky pads that came with the mirror plus a crap ton of glue. Ha.

I went and started the van up earlier and did some driving. The mirror barely rattles now with all that foam stuffed inside.

MrBeast

Explorer
Interesting. I just hope this one doesn't fall out. I used the sticky pads that came with the mirror plus a crap ton of glue. Ha.

I went and started the van up earlier and did some driving. The mirror barely rattles now with all that foam stuffed inside.

It didnt have the 3 bolts that hold it on?

MrBeast

Explorer
It did, but I stuffed the housing arm with foam to make it less drum-like. Cheap, but it works.

Oh yeah, my spare tire is junk too, it's all cracked and funky looking.

You would be better off with a matching spare anyhow, nothing sucks more than having an undersized spare when you are off road.

Basement Yeti

Explorer
Yeah, that was the plan anyway. I need to get an OEM wheel for the 5th tire. It's going to hurt buying 5 tires, so I definitely can't afford new wheels now.

I wonder what I should do with that spare....

But hey, the spot it takes up is going to be super useful. I'll probably use it for water.

MrBeast

Explorer
Yeah, that was the plan anyway. I need to get an OEM wheel for the 5th tire. It's going to hurt buying 5 tires, so I definitely can't afford new wheels now.

I wonder what I should do with that spare....

But hey, the spot it takes up is going to be super useful. I'll probably use it for water.

And you dont want it under there anyways.

What really sucks is needing your spare when your stuck, and the truck is up to the frame in snow.

Basement Yeti

Explorer
Man. I never thought about that.

I'm bookmarking stuff for my next big purchase. I need to sort out some kind of jack and lug wrench. I'm not sure if I should go with a standard roadside scissor jack or a hi-lift. The reason I'd even consider a hi-lift jack is because I can use it for winching too. I don't know if I can ever justify buying an electric winch, not for a while anyway, but having a hand winch would be nice, just in case.

I've also got some non essential stuff on my list, like a new radio, and speakers. I have only recently started turning my radio on when I drive, I quite enjoy my tunes.

Tires too, I need to start figuring out tires...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3