Yeti and the Marshmallow

Basement Yeti

Explorer
They are good for made in china crap

I have that set of jackstands, they have worked well for me, I actually have 6 of em, use the snot out of em.

As long as my van doesn't land on my face while I am working under it. I am allergic to vans hitting me in the face.

refried

Adventurer
Get a good 8 or 10 ton bottle jack, that AC delco jack isn't going to be very happy lifting a loaded van, I have a similar one and was about to toss it when I had to change a flat on my van. first of all it didn't go up far enough and I needed 8" of blocks to get the tire off the ground. second it was way past it's maximum capacity trying to lift a 1 ton van and was very hard to pump.

Storz

Explorer
Wouldn't I need an air compressor?

If you can find a Land Rover in a junkyard they all came with these awesome little bottle jacks

jack.jpg

Basement Yeti

Explorer
I cleaned the rear of the van just earlier. The rubber mat left diamond shaped imprints I can't get off. I'll work on it harder once I gut the front to paint and insulate. The back was filthy, but it looks a bit better now.

There is a bit of surface rust, so I definitely want a nice non toxic low VOC paint and/or primer to seal the entire interior.

There are also holes all the way through the body where the bulkheads were mounted, and the metal stripping on the doorways. Bunches of em. I don't need those giant bolt holes just to hold the remainder of the rubber to the floor. So maybe I'll fill the holes with bondo and re-drill some smaller holes to hold down the floor mat and the little metal transition plate from the front to back? Where I still need the holes for the drivers side bulkhead I'll just fill with silicone or something.

MrBeast

Explorer
I cleaned the rear of the van just earlier. The rubber mat left diamond shaped imprints I can't get off. I'll work on it harder once I gut the front to paint and insulate. The back was filthy, but it looks a bit better now.

There is a bit of surface rust, so I definitely want a nice non toxic low VOC paint and/or primer to seal the entire interior.

There are also holes all the way through the body where the bulkheads were mounted, and the metal stripping on the doorways. Bunches of em. I don't need those giant bolt holes just to hold the remainder of the rubber to the floor. So maybe I'll fill the holes with bondo and re-drill some smaller holes to hold down the floor mat and the little metal transition plate from the front to back? Where I still need the holes for the drivers side bulkhead I'll just fill with silicone or something.

For the holes from the bulkhead, just stick a carrage bolt in them and use a couple of washers in the back side, you can use a smaller carrage bolt so the head stays nice and low. it will simply look like a button on the floor

Basement Yeti

Explorer
Will do. I went and filled up the tank today, I honestly thought it'd hurt more. I think I have a small oil leak too, smells a bit like burning oil right after I get out of the van and there is a small dried puddle under my spot.

Oh, and I had a new key made, but it's still funky to start the van.

The van still vibrates like crazy at stops, but I think that's typical of a large metal box...maybe it will get better once I insulate it.

MrBeast

Explorer
Will do. I went and filled up the tank today, I honestly thought it'd hurt more. I think I have a small oil leak too, smells a bit like burning oil right after I get out of the van and there is a small dried puddle under my spot.

Oh, and I had a new key made, but it's still funky to start the van.

The van still vibrates like crazy at stops, but I think that's typical of a large metal box...maybe it will get better once I insulate it.

Define vibrates like crazy?

MrBeast

Explorer
Any oil leak should be checked out.

GM vehicles in those years were natorious for having cracks in the oil cooler lines, they will start as a small drip, and then the line will completly crack, and no oil what so ever will get to the engine. So yes, check that out!

As well if it is something simple like a leaking valve cover gasket, it can be fixed easily, and you wont have to worry about losing oil.

Basement Yeti

Explorer
Any oil leak should be checked out.

GM vehicles in those years were natorious for having cracks in the oil cooler lines, they will start as a small drip, and then the line will completly crack, and no oil what so ever will get to the engine. So yes, check that out!

As well if it is something simple like a leaking valve cover gasket, it can be fixed easily, and you wont have to worry about losing oil.

Well, the leak is very tiny. I'll have someone look at it. I want to learn how to work on my van myself, but I swamped with stuff to do, and I need this van in reliable order. I can always learn in the future when I have less stuff on my plate.

Basement Yeti

Explorer
I feel stupid. My neighbor looked at my 'oil spot' and it's just condensation from my A/C. Durrr.

How will I ever survive on the road. Haha.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3