Zam15’s Tacoma Build

Zam15

Explorer
The Mean Green is working well, although as stated above I wish it put out more power at idle.... Will likely go the GM route next time around if this thing ever fails.

So I showed the Arctic Truck’s build to the shop and explained what route I wanted to go. On the rear suspension setup the recommended instead of doing a 3-link, doing a reverse 4-link with the top links going to the rear of the truck. I would still get around 20" of travel and the setup would be much stronger. Only negative is no aux gas tank… I would be fine with Jerry Cans though. What do you think?

P.S. I want to do a shout out to the Truck Shop in San Diego. On the first attempt to install a replacement alternator (high output from another Toyota vehicle) there was an issue resulting in the alt not putting out any power leaving me stranded in LA. I called up the shop to let them know I was having an issue and they sent out two techs out to come fix it (three hours away!). Amazing service!

Blackdawg

Dr. Frankenstein
reverse 4 link huh??

never seen that done..be short links wouldn't it with your bed? be pretty cool though..have any pics of examples? sounds like like cantilever..where do the shocks go?

Couldn't you just put the aux tank on the other side of the drive shaft where the stock one is? Chop that exhaust :p

Zam15

Explorer
Couldn't you just put the aux tank on the other side of the drive shaft where the stock one is? Chop that exhaust :p

Good idea. Actaully thinking, it would keep the truck very balanced. 34 Gallons! :bike_rider: Don't think I have seen anyone have that kind of setup yet. Also would not destroy your departure angle like some rear aux tanks do and the CG would stay low and in the center. Almost like an aircraft where you can switch between wing tanks.

As for the coilovers and shocks, they would still go on the outside of the frame in the front of the wheel wells attached to the trailing arm. Same as on the artic tacoma.
DSC00770(2).jpg

This setup keeps getting better :snorkel:

Blackdawg

Dr. Frankenstein
ohhh i was envisioning the main links somehow going out back..haha

that makes way more sense.

actually i like that a lot.

is it more stable on the road then a normal 4 link? still be worried about weight capacity too..

Zam15

Explorer
Here are some more shots I have found.. Just the top links would be switched around. I would have a sway-bar to help with the body roll and have limit straps. As for the load issue, maybe heavy duty coils, dual coilovers, high psi in the bump stops, or airbags. I know linked trucks carry some weight, dual spares, race tanks (60Gal), jacks, tools etc. Mine won't be as extreme so I believe I can set it up correctly.
08051001.jpg
EngageOffRoad_GenII_Tacoma_Double_Cab_Link_Kit_009.jpg
EngageOffRoad_GenII_Tacoma_Double_Cab_Link_Kit_012.jpg
EngageOffRoad_GenII_Tacoma_Double_Cab_Link_Kit_013.jpg

Last edited:

Zam15

Explorer
Added some highly advanced tech should the weather get a little too cold or hot. :coffeedrink:

Australian Bull "Bar" :friday:

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Good idea. Actaully thinking, it would keep the truck very balanced. 34 Gallons! :bike_rider: Don't think I have seen anyone have that kind of setup yet. Also would not destroy your departure angle like some rear aux tanks do and the CG would stay low and in the center. Almost like an aircraft where you can switch between wing tanks.

As for the coilovers and shocks, they would still go on the outside of the frame in the front of the wheel wells attached to the trailing arm. Same as on the artic tacoma.
View attachment 190086

This setup keeps getting better :snorkel:

as the suspension cycles. it would cause the axle to rotate. not sure if that is bad or not

Zam15

Explorer
as the suspension cycles. it would cause the axle to rotate. not sure if that is bad or not
Just going on what the race fabricators recommended. Still have some time to iron everything out before I actually have enough funds to pull the trigger. Saving for a house down payment really cuts into the truck fund. :(

Recent shots from my last Anza Borrego exploration.

Urban Cave Paintings

Oasis - Both animals and plants fighting for the last bit of water... Good place for a game camera

Boluder Wedge

Super Moon!

Last edited:

Zam15

Explorer
Well, I finally decided to sell off my ARB Snorkel that was removed from my truck after the accident. It is going to a new home but I needed to remove the Snorkel head that I have been using and give it to the new owner. I decided to upgraded to a 10" 3.75" ARB Cyclonic Pre-filter. Got home today and found the box at my door so I went ahead with the swap. Looks better than I thought it would, can't wait to see the strange look on people's faces. I went with the 10" because I plan to get a supercharger later on and that would increase the CFM beyond the 7" rating (according to the internet*).

The custom snorkel that was made was sized to the standard 3.5" ARB Snorkel, but the pre-filters only come in 3" or 3.75" so you can buy a simple adapter that will work with the ARB units and my custom setup. The adapter was an ugly pink so I painted it back to match.

Before:

After:

Also on a side note here is a Burrowing Owl I saved from a murder of around 1k crows that were a few seconds from killing him...

Last edited:

toyotech

Expedition Leader
the new head looks sweet. i like it. does the air come in from the bottom? also your not gonna run a filter in it will you?

Zam15

Explorer
the new head looks sweet. i like it. does the air come in from the bottom? also your not gonna run a filter in it will you?
Yes the air comes from the bottom, there are fins that direct the air in a circular motion and the centrifugal force moves any dirt to the outer bowl.

voodoojk

Adventurer
coming from the jeep world, a lot of guys had these on the AEV snorkels. They work great. Some even painted the clear part black because so many people asked why they had a light on a tube lol.

Zam15

Explorer
coming from the jeep world, a lot of guys had these on the AEV snorkels. They work great. Some even painted the clear part black because so many people asked why they had a light on a tube lol.

Ya its kind of funny how so many people have no idea what a Snorkel is. Most people ask what is that tube or pipe for? Can you go underwater? Some say its a light, exhaust, periscope, a camera and other random stuff.. :coffeedrink:

Some people assume that I am a storm chaser, survivalist, off-road racer, rock crawler, hunter, safari guy, zombie apocalypse prepper, ... It's just fun to see what people come up with. Don't get me started on the Roof Top Tent haha

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal