Zam15’s Tacoma Build

amocaT

Adventurer
:mixed-smiley-030:
*So Apocalypto (new name?) has been acting funny for last 3k miles from my last oil change. Basically every other time I hit the accelerator little to nothing happens, if I pull my foot off and hit it again it will get moving. Also if I just floor it I'll get power back after a few seconds. Normally happens when starting from a stop or when coasting slowly, but it has happened a handful of times at highway speed. So I left her at the shop last night to see if they could figure it out. They are indicating that it my not be shifting properly so a transmission issue it may be... :( was hoping it would be something like the MAF, TBS, Fuel pump or filter... Guess not.

Does this sound like a transmission issue to you? Currently at 124,000 odo. (loaded truck, big tires, mud, dirt, snow and ice..)

*Also my IBS controller is indicating that the alternator is putting out less than desirable voltage so it won't auto link the batteries, may be all the mud, water and dirt is has seen over the years
*and they spotted on my last oil change what may be a minor head gasket leak... pink crusty stuff on the side of the bloc, so another :(

So I may be looking at:
$$ A new High Output Alternator
$$$ Transmission Rebuilt. (if this happens I will be adding a transmission cooler, maybe swap it out for a manual trans? :p)
$$$ Replace the head gasket. (might as well install a supercharge while they are at it to save on labor cost. :elkgrin:)

I have been very proactive on truck maintenance, reliability is the most important thing in my book so I feel I may have to bite the bullet on these things.

Any input on these subject matters? Now to find my credit card..

Have you checked all your vacuum hoses? I had something kinda similar with my Taco. There were a couple of really bad hoses. They cause acceleration and idle issues. Changed hoses and O2 sensors (done before vac. hoses - still had problems after o2 change), running smooth as butter now. I had 129k when those issues came up. I had no CEL at all during the problems.

Zam15

Explorer
Went for a test drive and could not for the life of me demonstrate the symptoms to the shop... :mad:

May be a fluke or I just have to wait until something fails...

Zam15

Explorer
Just thought I would make another gear post as not much has been done recently with the truck. Below is my Trauma kit that stays in my truck most of the time, also my day hike camelback/my truck is on fire and I can only grap one thing... The black bag is what I keep my important docs/backups in should I need to leave home quickly for some reason (has happened several times and could not go back for a few days..) Do you guys carry anything similar? Always looking to improve my kit.

Trauma Kit Stays in truck 24/7, seen too many car accidents to not have one of these.
Adhesive Gauze Pad 4x8” (x1)
Gauze Sponge 4x8” (x4)
Nonstick Dressing 3x8” (x2)
Surgical Dressing 5x9” (x1)
All-Purpose Adhesive Dressing 6x6” (x1)
Gauze Rolls (x4)
Israeli Pressure Bandage 4”(x1) 6”(x2)
Aluminum Splint (x1)
Finger Splints (padded aluminum &
C-A-T Tourniquets (x2)
Eye Wash Kit
Gatorade Packets (x4)
Quick Clot 5x5” (x2) 3.5x3.5” (x1)
Ammonia Inhalants
Bolin Chest Seal (x1)
HALO Chest Seals (x2)
Antibacterial Spray (x1)
Wound Wash Bottle (x1)
Triangular Bandage (x2)
Notepad w/pen
Neck Brace
Instant Heat & Ice Packets
N95 Masks (x4)
Tampons (x8)
Emergency Blanket
CPR Pocket Resuscitator
Full Burn Kit w/ Dressings and Jel
Aquamira Water Treatment Drops
Nasal and Esophageal Airway
First Aid Scissors
Permanent Marker
Thermometer
Glow Sticks
Baby Wipes
Tweezers
Poison Ivy/Bug Bite Spray
Tums
Tackle Box:
Q-Tips
Claritin
Diphen
Advil
Ibuprofen
Asprin
Tylenol
Dyna Lube
Pepto Bismol
DayQuil/NyQuil
Loperamide Hydrochloride (Anti-Diarrheal)
Ear Plugs
Exacto Knife
Safety Pins
Glutose 15
Eye Drops
Ointment
Neosporin
Throat Lozenges
Sting Relief Pads
Mucinex
Dramamine
Blue Case:
-Gloves
-First Aid Tape Rolls (x3)
-Self Adhesive Bandage Rolls (x2)
-Bandage Rolls (x2)
-Arm Sling (x1)
-Tongue depressors
Red Case:
-Antiseptic Towelettes
-Adhesive Bandages (assorted)
-Gauze Pads (assorted)
-Suture Kit + Closure Strips
-Mole Skin (several)

Not sure what to call it…. Mostly stays locked up at home but may also bring with me on long trips.
MRE (x1)
Goal Zero Solar Charger
LED Flashlight w/ Extra Batteries
Data Backup – Portable HD & Flash Drives
Cash, Silver, Documents
Lighter and Waterproof Matches
Katadyn Pocket Water Filter w/Carbon Filter
Tissues
N95 Mask
Glow Sticks
Signal Mirror
Ear Plugs
Emergency Fishing Kit
Nalgene bottle
Hand Warmers
Emergency Whistle
Candle
Signal Flairs
Emergency Blanket
Notepad w/pencil
Sewing Kit
Razors
String/Rope
Safety Pins
Snare Trap Wire
Misqito Net

3L Camel Back EDC/GHB Always in truck, use frequently for day hikes..
Multi-tool
Fixed Blade Knife w/sharpener
Hand Warmers
Emergency Blanket
Tissues
Headlamp + LED Flashlight & Extra Batteries
Compass
Toilet Paper
Sun Screen
Water Purification Tablets
Pancho
MRE
FAK-Moleskin, Bayer, Q-Tips, Throat Lozenges, Claritin, Band-Aids, Iodine Wipes

As for the truck I been have looking at setups like the Giant 64" Link Killer Kit and the Giant Daily Driver Link Kit or a 3-Link Setup... depending on what works with the weight better, don't mind having airbags if necessary. :snorkel:

Looks like if I can setup something similar to their link kit I'll be able to keep the stock gas tank (main concern), no frame modification, keep the bed and reduce the sway.

Blackdawg

Dr. Frankenstein
Well..what goes under the bed anyways??

And you have to box the frame. I believe ou add 3-4 crossmembers.

The trucks that are running it romp the **** out of their rigs so I'm confident it's a good setup

Zam15

Explorer
Looks like I found my rear sus setup. Someone finally did what I had pictured in my head. Just wish I could see how they setup the top links. :drool:

Rear suspension: Custom 3 link HT springs Bilstein coil over + Bypass 600 mm (23.6") of travel
From ExPo's main page:
tacoma4.jpg
tacoma8.jpg
tacoma6.jpg
tacoma9.jpg
tacoma11.jpg
tacoma20.jpg

Note also have a Mean Green high output alternator on the way along with with my 4th RTT cover. :coffeedrink:

Last edited:

shmabs

Explorer
The top link looks more like a single A arm with either a large uniball or flex joint positioned with the bolt vertical. You can see how it bolts up just above the third member.

After I saw the pics I was really hoping to find some more info on this setup!

Mike

Zam15

Explorer
interesting..

I decided im gonna slap a tundra axle under mine and just have a nice bed cage thats useable for packing and the shock will run on the outside of the frame.

Sounds like that will work out well for you! Not sure what I have against SUA but for some reason I don't want to go that route.

The top link looks more like a single A arm with either a large uniball or flex joint positioned with the bolt vertical. You can see how it bolts up just above the third member.

After I saw the pics I was really hoping to find some more info on this setup!
Same here, if the top link is a single link a setup like that would work for me. Might add a sway bar or panhard bar for stability. Not sure why they went with a custom tank as the stock unit should have worked?

Blackdawg

Dr. Frankenstein
Sounds like that will work out well for you! Not sure what I have against SUA but for some reason I don't want to go that route.

Same here, if the top link is a single link a setup like that would work for me. Might add a sway bar or panhard bar for stability. Not sure why they went with a custom tank as the stock unit should have worked?

yea wasn't a huge fan of the idea myself either. But it retains better weight capacity then any link setup and you can still get great numbers and still crawl with it. So fits my bill well.

How is the Built Right hold up? You have 700lbs coils right? 18'' ones?

Zam15

Explorer
yea wasn't a huge fan of the idea myself either. But it retains better weight capacity then any link setup and you can still get great numbers and still crawl with it. So fits my bill well.

How is the Built Right hold up? You have 700lbs coils right? 18'' ones?

Always thought coils held up better than leafs? Maybe I just always end up getting crappy leaf packs..

The BR kit is holding up great so far, been very happy with it. Only complaint is that it is very noisy/squeaky but that's just what you get when you go with any LT kit.

Yes, the 700LB, 18" Coils... Seems to be just right for the moment.

P.S. Keep getting jealous with all your trip pictures. I have been working too much! Need to get out again.

Last edited:

Blackdawg

Dr. Frankenstein
Always thought coils held up better than leafs? Maybe I just always end up getting crappy leaf packs..

The BR kit is holding up great so far, been very happy with it. Only complaint is that it is very noisy/squeaky but that's just what you get when you go with any LT kit.

Yes, the 700LB, 18" Coils... Seems to be just right for the moment.

sweet what im hoping to get as well..well..coil wise. And race truck parts make race truck nosies :p haha rattle can teflon lube helps though i have heard.

and nooooo. Leafs hold weight much better. why big trucks still use them. only thing better is air bags..which the really big trucks use.

links due to the geometery and coil overs don't allow for a nice weight capacity but awesome offroad performance.

I had to tweak my Alcan pack but right now i have massive travel and still hold a **** load of weight at about 4'' lift..

Zam15

Explorer
and nooooo. Leafs hold weight much better. why big trucks still use them. only thing better is air bags..which the really big trucks use.

Good point, but then again I also see lost of MRAPs with coils. Thousands of pounds of armor and used off-road. If all else fails I'll add airbags.. :snorkel:

LAND_MRAP_MaxxPro_DashDXM_Suspension_Navistar_lg.jpg

DAT FLEX! :coffeedrink:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3