Zam15’s Tacoma Build

Zam15

Explorer
Have you found a place to have it fab'd?
I'll likely use the same guys that did all the fabrication for my long travel and on my front bumper. They did a very clean job so I think they could knock out the rear without much issue. But I am sure if I needed to find someone it would not be that hard. It would finish up the exterior mods for the truck other than a FlipPac in a few years.

Just so you guys get an idea on the 4" bedsides:
IMAG1378.jpg

IMAG1377.jpg

Last edited:

Zam15

Explorer
Was able to get away for a short beach camping trip. This was desperately needed after some tough life events that made me realize I need to get out more as we all only have a limited time to do so.
1613935_10100817964359906_5878708059856666393_n.jpg

My view in the morning :sombrero:
IMAG1416.jpg

Zam15

Explorer
So what I was told would only take a week ended up taking a month and a half.... and cost me more than I expected for an exchange ($190).. But I finally got my new bedsides! I only know of four other trucks that have these so I guess that makes them rare.

Once I have these mounted I can actually start building up the rear of the truck. This includes a full size axle, 3-Link, 35s, wrap around custom swing-out bumper. Still have not decided what axle to go with but I am looking at Ford 9" ,maybe a Dana 60?
IMAG1431.jpg

IMAG1430.jpg

Zam15

Explorer
You think you know what you want until you see a great deal on a 4 Wheel Camper :confused:

Need to firm up my end goal...

Zam15

Explorer
Eagle

I like it but then it also limits you... May still stick with the FlipPac.

Last edited:

Zam15

Explorer
Think I have determined the specs for my rear axle. Overall it's going to put me about .5” wider per side than the front but should allow me to clear any shocks, hydro bumps or large tires 35”+

This is the plan:

Trail-Gear Rock Assault Ford 9” - 68" wms
3" OD x 1/4", 3" OD x 3/8", 3.5" x 3/8", 3.5" x 1/4" What thickness should I go with??
Rock Assault Nine Chromoly Axle Shafts, 35.5”
4.88 Gears
ARB Locker
35 Spline
4 piston caliper/disc brakes
rock_9999.jpg

Other than putting a Ford Product on a Toyota (blasphemy) do you guys see anything wrong with this setup?

Also if I ever nuke the front end I could just SAS and toss another Rock Assult axle on the front :chef: I know of at least one guy here that had sucess with that.

Last edited:

Box Rocket

I think that will be a great setup. I know there are people who have a problem with TG, but not me. I've had excellent luck with all of their products that I've used. I don't have first hand experience with the Rock Assault axles but I like what I've seen.

Zam15

Explorer
I think that will be a great setup. I know there are people who have a problem with TG, but not me. I've had excellent luck with all of their products that I've used. I don't have first hand experience with the Rock Assault axles but I like what I've seen.

They seem to be a good value, also according to the warranty they are no questions asked. Not sure the extent of that haha

Have looked around but can't find too much feedback, but the staff was nice when I stopped by their booth, and they are in the region. I mainly know if them through there SAS kits. There are so many companies making these diamond style fabricate housings it's hard to choose.

Well if your doing a full size and going balls out..might as well get 3/8 haha

You are right, might as well. Then you never have to worry about beating the living daylights out of it :smiley_drive:

Would also remove the need of having to truss the axle other than just having it for the looks, if you bend one of these you probably have other issues haha

Ok now it's just 3" vs 3.5" dia...

Soon I'm going to have to start putting up a list of all the stock stuff I have/will have building up.
E-Locker axle with diff armor and budbuilt traction bar? OME 882/Sport Shocks? Sway Bar? Truck Tent? Snugtop? Dakars? Tow Hitch? Stock Battery Tray?:Wow1:

Zam15

Explorer
I just had some shock guards from ICON delivered with the hope that they will protect the shafts from damage and as a result help my seals/shocks last longer. Not a fan of the huge logo but is looks like they will work out, simple and super easy to install.
IMAG1561.jpg

Last edited:

Zam15

Explorer
Finally installed the 190lph fuel pump from the URD 7th Injector Kit, also installed a new fuel filter and had all the fluids (trans, diff, transfer, oil) changed out. Now the truck is ready for business and the next trip! :smiley_drive:

pray4surf

Explorer
I recall meeting you and seeing your truck for the first time out in Calico a few years back. I've quietly been following your thread and I'm impressed with the progress so far. You shouldn't have any problems grafting a ford part to the Taco - I remember another guy, Derek who had a silver taco 05+ had either a ford or chevy rear - IIRC, he'd had that truck down to Costa Rica and back - sold it shortly after... Biggest consideration, replacement parts should/if something ever breaks BYKT.

I'll go return to lurking

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maynerd Mowat