Zam15’s Tacoma Build

Zam15

Explorer
Just bought a new rig, thinking I'll just buy a FlipPac and be set!
IMG_3092.jpg

Maybe I'll toss another axle under the Tacoma.
20140725_161639.jpeg

Just started vacation! Heading for Zion, Yellowstone, Idaho, Mammoth and ending up at:
IMG_2438273602144.jpeg

:D

Zam15

Explorer
I have only used it twice, once to pull out a tree and the other to unstuck myself. Was not really stuck but wanted test out the winch. Both times it worked great. When I opened the unit up it appeared to be using low quality grease, should have swapped it with some higher quality stuff. Wish I could have found a waterproof winch in that price and load range but the unit has been fine.

Zam15

Explorer
Thanks! Was doing some shopping for my next trip and came out to this. Just another reason I love my rock sliders :D

Zam15

Explorer
Finally back to the grind after three weeks off. Visited 8 states, traveled 4,500 miles, and documented license pates 48 of the 50 states! Did Zion, Grand Teton, Yellowstone, Mammoth, Yosemite, Burning Man and actually made it back alive! :snorkel:

Started in Zion:

Grand Teton:

Yellowstone:

Endless farmland:

Idaho falls:

Lots of gas on this trip, thankfully there is dino power:

Last edited:

Zam15

Explorer
Stopped in Tahoe for a bit:

Waited in traffic in the middle of the desert:

The burn started with the largest storm to hit the man.

So we rested at camp for a day:

There were lots of big bugs:

The trip had many kinds of beauty:

A time to burn:

It all ended with a bang.

So we got on the long road home:

Last edited:

Zam15

Explorer
So after the tip I decided to give the truck a little love. Got a new "high flow" intake tube. Mainly to clean up the engine bay, a lot less cluttered and I would say less ways for water or dust to get in compared to the stock setup. Should get about .01 MPG better. Still waiting to test it out. This is one of the few CARB (came with sticker) legal intake mods out there, and that normally means it does nothing. But its new, clean and looks good! Still need to wash all the playa dust off the truck.

On another note, ran into this friendly overland couple from New Zealand. They are in the in the middle of their trip traveling from Alaska down to Argentina. If you went to overland Expo you may have also run into them. they have a great blog worth checking out:
kiwi-logo.png

http://www.flightlesskiwis.com/

Last edited:

MaverickTRD

Adventurer
Great looking truck! Hadn't seen the build thread before. I too have a 1st gen double cab with long travel in the front. Right now its just a deaver mid travel pack in the rear with 12" shocks. It works very well all things considered. I have had zero issues with loading up the bed with weight and the leafs bottoming out.

Eventually I will get the rear long travel done too. Interesting take on Link set ups in here. I think that they are pretty bad *** set ups, and work very well in the desert. I couldn't do it personally.
Total cost will be a lot more money, not as daily driver friendly, and I always worry about weight capacity. But it sounds like you've done gobs of homework on it already!

I'll be going with a set of Deaver H70/E30 leafs. They have an insane arch and are supposed to carry weight well., and seem to be the most durable and highest load capacity of the SUA leaf springs out there. The All Pro 50T pack is very similar when new, but apparently doesn't hold up as long as the Deaver pack does.
I currently have 12" shocks thru my bed to a small hoop. I hate having holes in the bed, as I'm worried about adding a shell and then exhaust fumes and dust coming into the shell. Wouldn't want to put my dogs back there unless I can figure out a way to seal it up. But I think with some creative fab work it could be done.
Most of the Tacoma guys run 16" shocks with SUA thru the bed, but I found that I could fit a 14" shock would be nearly even/level with the top of the wheel tub. I wouldn't mind some type of level dust shield/cover that runs across the width of the bed even with the height of the wells. Surely this will slightly limit travel, maybe i'll only get 15-16" of travel instead of 17-18" but I believe that valving and tuning is more important. It will still be night and day better than the SOA set up and should keep up with the front well. I thought I wanted a fast desert truck, but I think I'd rather have a swiss army knife type of truck, so it seems like a worthwhile compromise for myself.

Heres my current set up...and basically what I envision would be the shocks coming thru, and then some type of sheet metal running across the bed even with the top of the wheel tub one side to the other and sealed up somehow. Really, I could essentially have the entire bed floor be that height all the way to the tailgate and the rear portion of the bed could be storage drawers.
hopefully that all made sense lol.

bedoverlook1_zps65afdcc6.jpg

IMAG0370.jpg

Jberry is running the 50t spring pack on his LT/Expo multi-use truck, loads it up heavy and it seems to do well. He did mention rebuilding them and adding a leaf once, and that if he did it again he would go the Deaver route due to the fit/finish...but that they are still night and day better than the Deaver F67 option which sags quickly.

livebvVcJW.jpg

Anyways, great looking rig. Definitely have a ton of good mods that I would like to replicate! Can't wait to see more pics....Hopefully you don't mind the pictures I added. I felt they went with the discussion :)

Zam15

Explorer
Thanks! Any posts are more then welcome especially if they have info and pictures of sexy trucks lol I actually had some back and forth with Jberry a while back about his rear setup.

On another update I just finished installing the 7th injector URD kit. This included upgraded fuel pump, iridium spark plugs, 7th injector, and calibration unit. Truck runs so much better now, way more power at the top end, more responsive, and driving around town it great. Still some minor pinging when climbing hills at highway speed in high gear. I believe this should go away once I re-gear, the big tires, and lots of weight are putting more load on the engine than necessary.

Had to do two things I hated during this install, mess with fuel lines and the ECU. Both make me nervous but it all came out great. :smiley_drive:

thethePete

Explorer
Just wanted to offer up that you may want to switch out those hose clamps on your 7th injector install. Those *may* hold, but as a professional mechanic, I've seen them fail in high pressure applications too many times. Your fuel pressure there is probably well over 50psi. They do make "fuel line clamps" they are meant for high pressure applications, they provide a much stronger and more uniform clamping action. You should be able to find them at Auto-Zone or wherever. You should be using the style I mention on things like trans cooler installs as well. More for peace of mind than anything. The type you used are adequate for a return line, but anything on the pressure side of your fuel pump should be using the type I described.

CHP13SS.jpg

^The type I mention.

Zam15

Explorer
Thanks for the info. I was using what was provided by the manufacturer. May pick up a few of those for spares. I have other plumbing that could be secured further.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maynerd Mowat