Zam15’s Tacoma Build

Clutch

<---Pass
yea i think you could make it work with a tundra rear axle and some tweaking. I do like how you get to keep the full bed though. The CO rates right and you can haul a ton of weight good too.

Just got message back from Giant...yeah just need a wider axle. How much wider is the 1st gen Tundra rear end?

Blackdawg

Dr. Frankenstein
Just got message back from Giant...yeah just need a wider axle. How much wider is the 1st gen Tundra rear end?

6'' wide, 3 per side.

this a 1st gen tundra/t100 rear axle. Uses the same 8.4'' diff too so if your not an elocker you can swap your diff over if you have gears and arb. what i plan on doing.

Zam15

Explorer
Tundra axle would nearly match the front end, just wider +6" wider than the stock Tacoma I believe. Although it would not be that much of an upgrade strength wise. The owner of the fab shop I go to has blown several tundra diffs on his double cab so he upgraded to a Ford 9".

The Giant kit is not bad... But I see a few issues that would keep me away. First the lower links hang lower than other setups I have seen and I can picture smashing them into things on the trail. Also the air shocks on the lower links, not sure how durable those would be.. I would rather have one top link, panhard bar + sway bar setup. Or possibly two top links reversed to the rear of the truck.

Like this artic tacoma from several pages back.

Rear suspension: Custom 3 link HT springs Bilstein coil over + Bypass 600 mm (23.6") of travel
From ExPo's main page:
View attachment 185480
View attachment 185482
View attachment 185481
View attachment 185483
View attachment 185484
View attachment 185485
[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
Are those Reiger CO's on the arctic truck?

I hear you on the Giant kit.

Looks like it works well though.

Zam15

Explorer
Thanks...I was too lazy to look up the specs.

Sounds like a cool plan.

Found this on Tacoma World. Looks to be what Zam is talking about.

Ooooo! Nice find! Your Google foo is superior to my own! :coffeedrink: :bowdown:

Now I finally have a picture example to use! :drool:

I would go with something similar, the upper links would be super close to that setup. But I would use trailing arms with the coilovers and bypass shocks attached rather than just lower links and coilovers attached to the axle. His post said he was getting 19" of travel out of the rear. I would be more than happy with those numbers! Dude.....

2000tacoma1.jpg

Clutch

<---Pass
Ooooo! Nice find! Your Google foo is superior to my own! :coffeedrink: :bowdown:

Now I finally have a picture example to use! :drool:

I thought for sure you saw that before. Found it by complete accident! LOL

Not crazy about his lower links, not beefy enough for my taste, plus I would want the CO's up by the cab. Giant does have weld your own link kit, if you don't have the means of cutting your own plate, has a nice little how-to video on it too.

Their website seems to be acting funny right now...cant seem to find it on there.

From their FB page $550 for the kit

935604_601980093153347_850597763_n.jpg

Last edited:

Blackdawg

Dr. Frankenstein
550 for a WIY kit?! ****..thats a deal right there.

I like the reverse links too..but i have not read many good things about it since the axle is wanting to go backwards and the links are pushing the axle instead of pulling it..

Zam15

Explorer
I thought for sure you saw that before. Found it by complete accident! LOL

Not crazy about his lower links, not beefy enough for my taste, plus I would want the CO's up by the cab. Giant does have weld your own link kit, if you don't have the means of cutting your own plate, has a nice little how-to video on it too.

Their website seems to be acting funny right now...cant seem to find it on there.

From their FB page $550 for the kit

935604_601980093153347_850597763_n.jpg

Think we have a winning combo right there... Too bad I can't weld :( but I know some pros that can lay down better welds than I could dream of doing.

Next would would be to re-route the exhaust and drop in a passer side tank from an old school Toyota "pickup" 32 Gal, low and center CG, no Jerry cans, skid plates and high clearance :elkgrin:
1982ToyotaPickupInitialPhotoShoot_May202012_0921-1.jpg

BD - Ya that is my only concern... But I have never heard from anyone that has actually run or seen a setup, so it's all just hearsay at this point. Wish I could ask that guy if he had any issues but from the post he indicated it drove great and looks like he even towed with it just fine.

Clutch

<---Pass
Think we have a winning combo right there... Too bad I can't weld :( but I know some pros that can lay down better welds than I could dream of doing.

I have learned a lot of from this guy. But I have good and bad days. ;)

Next would would be to re-route the exhaust and drop in a passer side tank from an old school Toyota "pickup" 32 Gal, low and center CG, no Jerry cans, skid plates and high clearance :elkgrin:

Now you're talking!

Clutch

<---Pass
550 for a WIY kit?! ****..thats a deal right there.

Yeah it is, wish I could find his step by step video, he walks you through the whole process...tells you a couple little tricks too.

It was on their website...but seems to be down currently.

Zam15

Explorer
I meant the total capacity of two stock tanks. :p
How big was the tank on your old truck? On our current tanks they are 16/17Gal.

Last edited:

Zam15

Explorer
"The 1989 Pickup had three fuel tank options: 13.7 gallons, 17.2 gallons or 19.3 gallons"

18.5 (current tank) + 19.3 = 37.8 Gal capacity.

Close enough to the Tundra.... I like "pickup" tanks because they were designed to go on the passenger side of the truck so I don't think it would take much work to get one installed and hooked up. It will also remove any Taco lean haha

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalewelsh