2007 Tahoe Build - It Continues!

bmxdannyo

Adventurer
I go through alot of fields and such, but a tire carrier is in my mind, either on the roof or on the back i have not decided. My tires are 32.5 inch on 17 inch wheels
-Danny

Snafu

Adventurer
I work for an electric utility in west Texas and we have one of these new Tahoe's in my department. I like it the most since it has the size and power for anything.

We have a Warn winch and brush guard with extra hooks added to the front along with a leveling kit. In the back they put in a piece of plywood and mounted up shelves on one side for hardware and organizing tools. It's working great and see's a lot of remote desert sites.

Our newer Explorer's are awful for off road...they practically lay on the ground and I hate the IFS & IRS combo on and off the road. Our Grand Cherokee's have ARB bumpers and winches along with lift kits but they're just too small for all the equipment our techs have to carry. Another department gets the cool toys though...lifted JK's with safari racks and jerry cans!

Oh, and if you're in San Antonio you have to go to Big Bend and Big Bend Ranch. El Paso is only about 8 hours away too and we have some awesome stuff out here!!

bmxdannyo

Adventurer
I work for an electric utility in west Texas and we have one of these new Tahoe's in my department. I like it the most since it has the size and power for anything.

We have a Warn winch and brush guard with extra hooks added to the front along with a leveling kit. In the back they put in a piece of plywood and mounted up shelves on one side for hardware and organizing tools. It's working great and see's a lot of remote desert sites.

Our newer Explorer's are awful for off road...they practically lay on the ground and I hate the IFS & IRS combo on and off the road. Our Grand Cherokee's have ARB bumpers and winches along with lift kits but they're just too small for all the equipment our techs have to carry. Another department gets the cool toys though...lifted JK's with safari racks and jerry cans!

Oh, and if you're in San Antonio you have to go to Big Bend and Big Bend Ranch. El Paso is only about 8 hours away too and we have some awesome stuff out here!!

Next time you are at work and have a chance to grab a pic of the tahoe with the winch please do! I have been calling around to get prices for people to build bumpers and sliders and its making my wallet hurt. It may be a while. I do want to make it out to Big Bend, it looks like a lot of fun. I have seen some desert races out in el paso on the internet, is it mainly fire roads or is there more out there?
-Danny

bmxdannyo

Adventurer
well i went to see the local fabricator who was said to be the best in san antonio, and with his work on display he does seem to be the best. However, this build just got expensive. my rear air conditioner is right at my rear bumper therefore to make a rear bumper all sorts of custom work has to be done, as well as the front bumper because the grille is attached to the bumper and alot of custom brackets must be made to keep the grille in place (and look factoryish). The build came to a temporary halt today.

The cost of these things makes me want to go out and buy a truck dedicated to trailing instead of building this one. 2001 dodge rams seem to be going at a decent price around here and many of them lifted. If any one knows that there is a problem with the rams let me know, other wise im going to save for a couple months and grab a good one.

My local off road group is going out to big bend some time this year, so i am still going to use the tahoe, just not to its full potential, i will keep it as my daily driver.

-Danny

poriggity

Explorer
To me, that's the beauty of an expo rig.. It can be driven to the trail, with ALL the creature comforts, and home, with no issues. Why are you set on new bumpers? Personally, I'd leave the stock bumpers, pick up a hitchgate tire carrier for the rear, and find a front hitch to put a multimount winch in, and be done...
Scott

WildBill

Observer
why not try to find a police or drug squad brush/push guard for the front, we have some beefy ones on the tahoes around here

ranchhand makes a killer brush guard for tahoes! we put the on our cop tahoes we bill. people love them. whatever you do say away from go industries. they are the biggest POS..... if you just want a push style bumper setina manufacturing makes a killer strong push bumper.

bmxdannyo

Adventurer
my reasoning for the bumpers are more for clearance than protection. The rear is not so much of an issue as the front is. Long story short, i was in a field of dry ruts and i had to back up, my front bumper caught and popped off, i snapped it back on but made me realize how little front clearance i had when a small rut takes your bumper off

It happened in the same field as the pic below
1009001551.jpg

-Danny

coreys88burban

Adventurer
this is a nice tahoe! all the new ones here are wall marted out! have loering springs and ugly dubs! this is sweet! nice truck and good luck with it.:victory:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78