A Sucker Born Every Minute

richard cabesa

Adventurer
And when I look in the mirror, it just might be me.

I've been watching all the trailer builds here, looking for what might work for a small lightweight base camp. It would not need to be "Rubicon" capable, just able to get deep into the forrest or desert roads without tearing the bottom off the thing.

Neither the Mrs of myself are interested in climbing a ladder to get in a tent that you can't stand up in, so that ruled the "chaser" type trailer out. Teardrop style, just too darn small and you still have to lay down to put your pants on. Tired of that, that's why we want to get out of a tent. We figured we would end up with a modified tent trailer and started searching. Just had not come up with the right one.

About six months ago, we came across something of interest, but the owner thought it was special, vintage, and a family heirloom made out of gold. Actually, it was an old fibreglass trailer that needed a total restoration and of course, modifications to make it work for what we wanted to do. The Trader add ran out back in March, but I hung on to it.

Sunday, my wife say, "let's go look at that trailer". Crap, I was comforable on the couch. Off we go with less than 25% of what they were asking in my pocket. The Mrs deserves an Oscar for her act of disinterest and discust with the whole situation. When the owner said "what will you give me", I thought what the hell and threw out the lowball.

She said yes, double crap, We now own a trailer.

With all that said, here she is. A 1972 Travel-lite. 11'-6" over all, the box is about 9' long. A queen+ sized bed, pop up roof for a stand up galley and a sit down head/shower
551465259_Nbgmm-L.jpg

This chop, cut, rebuild project will take some time but hopefully by next spring it will look a little more something like this
551726341_zLy2j-L.jpg

I'll bring it to you here as it happens.

Of course, the truck isn't finished yet either :(

Or the kitchen remodel :smilies27

Last edited:

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
ha, scrolling down i never would have thought that's what it was going to be. That's cool man. Dang trailer is almost bigger than the tow rig!

More pics! I want to see the inside and the pop up.

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
I think it is AWESOME! It looks like a wonderful platform to start from.

Just curious though ...are you trying to tell us something by taking up two handicapped parking places? :D

richard cabesa

Adventurer
ha, scrolling down i never would have thought that's what it was going to be. That's cool man. Dang trailer is almost bigger than the tow rig!

More pics! I want to see the inside and the pop up.

It's reall not that big. Just a touch under 9' long inside, The width is about 2" wider than the fender flairs on the truck on each side. I can see around it with the stock mirrors no problem.

The pop up is 6'-2" ish inside when up. I'm a bit under 6' so it's perfect there.
552340184_gtQyc-L.jpg

552342726_6sgmJ-L.jpg

I'm going to gut the cabinetry and go all new with that, probably natural birtch.

View of the couch/bed/dining from above

552343472_5wjJ6-L.jpg

The galley. the stove is going to become portable for inside-outside use

552341405_Bg5Zt-L.jpg

And the all important head for those midnight runs

552342024_EDEnc-L.jpg

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
That's a pretty cool widget.

I thought it was kinda lame looking when I saw the first image but the way you have is PS'ed it looks great. I like the interior too.

Looking forward to the build up.

JKDetonator

Adventurer
just saying....

...by the time you get done with all the "mods", it will seem to you too that its made of gold and probably will be a family heirloom!:Wow1: I look forward to the build! I think its a great platform, good luck, and welcome to the addiction! I've already subscribed:coffeedrink:

richard cabesa

Adventurer
...by the time you get done with all the "mods", it will seem to you too that its made of gold and probably will be a family heirloom!:Wow1: I look forward to the build! I think its a great platform, good luck, and welcome to the addiction! I've already subscribed:coffeedrink:

LOL. Like I said when I restored a Falcon a few years ago . . . it's amazing how much time and money you can put into a $500 car

BKCowGod

Automotive ADHD is fun!
I think I can smell that toilet from here :snorkel:

Looks like a fun little trailer, can't wait to see it used in anger!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior