Death Valley 2007 "Trophy Event"

JohnD

awesome guys!! Jim a true scholar and gentleman.. Great photo's hope to one day get out with some of you here...

WOW!!!!

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
Photog said:
snippage.....

We should set up a DV tour, during the winter. Lets see what the place looks like after a few rain makers have come through.

A scientific expedition.:wings:
While I'm all for such a trip, I advise arctic circle class clothing. BT, DT; there & near that time of year (T-Day weekend). Bring your guy-wires & screw anchors too.
We came down SVR from Palm Spring (the old & therefore in my book, correct, names for the springs) and up Lippencott in storm conditions. Wasn't too bad other than crossing all of the rivlets rushing off the backside of the Inyo's.

The idea of how the rocks move that seems most valid to me is that a thin slurry of water & silt forms, significantly decreasing the friction resisting the wind's attempting to move the rocks. There have been GPS transponders placed on the more active of the rocks. Seems like Hiesenberg would have a serious effect there.....

EDIT: Goes looking to see if such a trip is in planning.......

Photog

Explorer
ntsqd said:
While I'm all for such a trip, I advise arctic circle class clothing. BT, DT; there & near that time of year (T-Day weekend). Bring your guy-wires & screw anchors too.........

You got that right. Even in the spring time, when it is 90 degrees at Furnace Creek, it is also bone-numbing and windy up at the Racetrack.:REOutIceFishing:

Guy-wires & screw anchors...:xxrotflma Amen!!

Last edited:

TheRoadie

Explorer
teotwaki said:

Did you know this exact rock was the one pictured in the first edition of the Overland Journal? I went there in September, on purpose to find this exact rock so I could take THESE pictures. Hopefully one will be printed in their next edition. I also read somewhere that some of the rocks roll down from the relatively close canyon sides, which are closer to the Racetrack than in other playas.

s7.jpg

s7A.jpg

teotwaki

Excelsior!
TheRoadie said:
Did you know this exact rock was the one pictured in the first edition of the Overland Journal? I went there in September, on purpose to find this exact rock so I could take THESE pictures. Hopefully one will be printed in their next edition. I also read somewhere that some of the rocks roll down from the relatively close canyon sides, which are closer to the Racetrack than in other playas.

That is so cool! Thanks for the pictures!

Photog

Explorer
That is cool. A celebrity rock.:cool:

Our next scheduled trip to DV will be Spring 2009. I am thinking of early February time frame. Is that too late for the winter weather systems. Dramatic sky is the goal. We will brin the mountaineering clothes, to stay warm.

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Sucks cause we were only 26 miles away from the racetrack on Monday... when we viewed the Ubehebe crater. That sad part is.. we were out of time for that day. The good part is... a Reason to go back!!!!

TheRoadie

Explorer
You should have gone in from Saline valley like we did. You missed the best wheeling! Next time don't miss the Lippincott Mine Road.

neliconcept

Spirit Overland
cfiles16831.jpg

my old stomping grounds of clemson university.

the rock brings good luck, so many think, but everybody rubs it before they run down the hill.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior