Ultimate Expedition Vehicle

Therefore, I think if a design consideration is the ability to ship in a standard shipping container, then the High Cube container is the logical choice. Up-sizing to a 40 footer only adds length, not something I feel is worthwhile.
I agree and I like the way you think... start from the begining.

Question:How will you prioritize the design features requested by your "open source" users?

rbraddock

Observer
My thought is to make it a collaborative design, with the community making the decisions. Therefore, priority will come from general consensus and practicality of design. As I get a little more information and input, I will sketch out a variety of designs incorporating the features and then ask for an up-down vote or suggestions to improve.

For instance, one of the questions I was going to propose was SWB, Mid-size, or LWB...now that question seems mute based on the need to have it fit in a shipping container...something I had not even thought about, but certainly very important.

Keep the input and ideas coming!

haven

Expedition Leader
A vehicle like the XP camper is a possibility. The camper separates from the flatbed for storage or to make a base camp, allowing you to use the truck in other ways. With the camper off the truck, both will fit into a 40 foot shipping container. Since you will be shipping the vehicle only a few times, limiting yourself to a 20 foot container seems unnecessary.

xpcamper-dunes.jpg

Marc at XPCamper is very flexible about the configuration of the camper and the vehicle you want to attach it to. For example, you can order the camper unfinished inside, so you can set it up the way you want. And you don't need to order a cabover section. Essentially each XPCamper is a custom vehicle.

The web site is http://www.xpcamper.com

A vehicle like the XP camper is a possibility. The camper separates from the flatbed for storage or to make a base camp, allowing you to use the truck in other ways. With the camper off the truck, both will fit into a 40 foot shipping container. Since you will be shipping the vehicle only a few times, limiting yourself to a 20 foot container seems unnecessary.

Haven, I must disagree with you on a couple of points.

Although I like the XP a lot, one of my "must have" design elements is a pass through from cab to camper area. I must admit I can't remember if the XP has that or not, but I think it does not.

The other point is the use of a 40 foot container, there is a fairly significant savings when sharing a 40 footer with another overlander. When you are embarked in an international overland trip every penny counts... so I would say stick with the 20 footer container max.

The Adam Blaster

Expedition Leader

Although I like the XP a lot, one of my "must have" design elements is a pass through from cab to camper area. I must admit I can't remember if the XP has that or not, but I think it does not.

The other point is the use of a 40 foot container, there is a fairly significant savings when sharing a 40 footer with another overlander. When you are embarked in an international overland trip every penny counts... so I would say stick with the 20 footer container max.

It is a separate entity from the truck, so no, it doesn't have a pass through between. For me, that's not a big deal at all, and my (current) "perfect" expedition vehicle features a crew cab F-550 (4x4 of course) with a moderately built turbo Cummins 5.9 transplanted, and a custom XP camper than has been lengthened. Again, my needs revolve around the ability to transport my future family of 4-5 in comfort. (My current family is 3 members, but we're planning at least 1 more.)

I'm thinking that the size of an F-550 with a lower profile camper like the XP would be a great combo, smaller outside dimensions, lower over all weight, and versatile with the ability of dropping the camper to sit by itself and using the flatbed for whatever else you want to carry in a pinch.
If I could still ride a motorcycle, one would get attached to the rear on a lift and used as a recon. vehicle. I have been considering the addition of adding a Japanese mini truck on a very small trailer behind the F-550 to carry out that function, but adding a trailer is going to be a hit to the fuel economy for sure, as well as increasing the cost and complexity of international shipping, and every border crossing. And of course, the overall size of the whole rig would be increased.
But, if the F-550 was already too big for a 20 footer, might as well add another amenity that can slide in behind it and fill that container right up. lol
Ideally, I'd make the mini truck capable of pulling it's own trailer so that if the need arose in a very tight situation, or one in which a heavier vehicle would be questionable, the mini could pull it's own trailer around/through the obstacle completely freeing the big truck to manuever a bit more easily.

EDIT: I just did some quick research and an F-550 with an 8' box is just shy of 22' in overall length. I have no chance with a 20' sea container. :xxrotflma

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
I wasn't aware of the Eco-Roamer. That thing is a beast; I like it! But, can you imagine trying to get it down the narrow streets of some towns, especially in Europe?

Yes, I know what you mean, it might get interesting. Then again most of Europe has Lorries of equal size, you just do not go on the smaller roads is all. I got to go with them when they did a portion of the White Rim Trail, as well as Shafer switchbacks. It was really impressive what they could do with that massive truck on some hair-pin turns, and narrow roads.

As for the concern about the ECO name. Well, it is silly, to me, that so many get in a bunch about that (not saying anyone here did). First I think it is total crap for people to claim they are eco friendly because they planted some trees to "off set" their fossil fuel usage. If you were Eco friendly you would do that anyway.

No, the Eco Roamer is ECO because they used sustainable materials for the construction, such as bamboo, and there counter tops are made out of recycled paper mixed with a resin that hardens it into a counter. They try to use Bio fuel, and such like that. Aside from all of that the thing has a tiny ecological footprint when compared to someone living in a house driving a Honda.

Personally I would need the comfort of a nice size vehicle. I would never go with a lift roof that had soft sides. Inclement weather makes that sound horrible to me!

Whatever vehicle it was, it would have to have four captains chairs, and it would have to have a pass through to the rest of the camper. It would also have to have a cage that could easily block off the pass through with a lock, but not be in the way the rest of the year. One guy I saw made steps up to the cab over that were of iron and could pad lock to the floor effectively blocking the pass through. Another made the bathroom door dang near bullet proof, and again it could be locked in the open position and thus blocking the pass through. The reason I would do that is because I know I am going to RO-RO, or flatbed ship the vehicle, no containers for me therefore keeping people locked out is important.

Another big one for me is that the windows be high enough to make it very hard to break into if I am parked at a hotel or store for a while. I have even seen people with bars on their windows, I might be willing to consider that, not sure yet.

You should get onto Google Sketch up and give us some pictures of what you are thinking of to date. (please)

Cheers

Last edited:

Viggen

Just here...

I agree. A pass through is extremely nice but my main concern is that enormous overhang in the rear. Thats beyond acceptable for me.

There is always the Top Gear solution:
61393nmmb-1024x682.jpg

top_gear_motorhomes.jpg

rbraddock

Observer
Difficulties

Sönke's Toyota is amazing but unavailable for US drivers, as is any good diesel engine of a reasonable size and fuel economy, thanks to the Big Three. I truly like his hard-sided pop-up and definitely agree that this has distinct advantages over a fabric pop-up.

Ford Perfect: I sat down today and drew up a constraints drawing of a twenty foot shipping container. I have some very rough sketches of several different ideas, but the constraints of a shipping container were not considered; they need some more tweaking before I put them up.

The difficulties that I am struggling with at this time:
-Fitting an 8' long "living" box, along with seating and sleeping for four, space for an engine compartment (without knowing engine dimensions), and maintaining some clearance margin in a 19' 3" long space.
-Finding an EPA approved diesel engine that's not a large block (huge space requirement) and has acceptable fuel economy (to improve range) while having the power envelope an off-road vehicle needs. Right now the closest I've up with is a 3.0L BMW 335 or the rumored Cadillac offerings.

To give you a visual without a drawing, close your eyes and imagine Sönke's box (8' long), 36" tires on an 11' wheelbase, 4 door front clip similar to Jeep Unlimited.

Viggen: I haven't started to toy with a Cab-Over design yet but as I look at the sketches I have now I can see the advantages; I just need to get some more information.

Stephanie, to answer your question, "how do you get around having the regulations that have been forced upon the big three and anyone who makes cars to be sold in the market?" The vehicle will be titled and licensed as a "special constructed vehicle" or "component vehicle" through individual state DMVs. Basically, this means that the owner must be the "builder" and the vehicle is licensed similar to a "kit car." The concept used by Local Motors is they build the chassis, source the parts, and assist the ultimate owner in building their vehicle (currently the Rally Fighter) over six days. This is the loop hole in the FMVSS and some states DMVs, as long as the owner builds the majority of the vehicle it is exempt from some of the laws that the Big Three are subject to: air bags, crash testing, fuel standards etc. This does not mean that you are building a jalopy that is unsafe, it still has to meet certain FMVSS rules, must use DOT components, etc.

The current production vehicles are designed for the masses and then modified by those who have a desire, often with severe compromises. What I am proposing is designing a vehicle from the ground up to meet the needs of Overlanders, not modifying a production chassis.

This is something to think about in the future, as you never know where life takes you. How would I get started in something like this, so that I would have something similar to a much older vehicle in simplicity and yet the age of a recently-made vehicle (intending to keep for 30-40 years barring radical powerplant changes)?

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
While I am still not certain why you want a container sized vehicle, I have to ask... What is the weight limit on a container? I mean how likely are you to surpass the allowable weight when you put your truck on there?

Also the 36" tires seem way off to me. Those are some huge tires! On a relatively small truck. The tires will significantly limit the height that you can make your vehicle. Even with the soft sides lift roof, you may not be able to make it something people can stand in. I realize that I am 6'5 and thus can not stand in a lot of vehicles, but still. I suspect you will be limited to a very short interior even with the top lifted.

If I recall the one in the photo was raised to the max possible, and it only went up two feet.

I dono. I like your idea of going with big tires, but it makes it hard on the container size. Not to mention massive meets like that will break components a lot more than a smaller tire, even a 33" would be a lot easier on your vehicle.

Again, I really like the 36's but it does not sound like a wise expedition choice, nor container choice. Pull it out of a container and put it on one of those flats and then you have no problem at all with that big of a tire.

That is awesome!

What the heck! I love it, I can't believe that someone would do that. How in the world do you get that thing around? It could not fit under power lines and red lights...

Crazy, I really like two things. First the highly contemporary structural look on that ancient car, and second the tree! Haha, classic.

Thanks for the laugh!

Last edited:

Viggen

Just here...
That is awesome!

What the heck! I love it, I can't believe that someone would do that. How in the world do you get that thing around? It could not fit under power lines and red lights...

Crazy, I really like two things. First the highly contemporary structural look on that ancient car, and second the tree! Haha, classic.

Thanks for the laugh!

You need to watch that episode. Clarksons Citroen is three levels, has a hammock on the upper level and a lot of other cool things. Of course, it gets destroyed in the end but that entire episode is great. Hammond took his Rover and made a single level house out of it through removable panels complete with library, bedroom and pool room. Capt. Slow did the Lotus hatch with pod on top and the scene where they were required to do their "morning duty" in their campers was hilarious.

rbraddock

Observer
The payload capacity of a 20' shipping container is approx. 10,000 lbs (21,600kg). So I do not suspect that a vehicle capable of fitting inside would exceed this amount.

As far as 36" tires: I was using the bigger is better concept. This seems like a logical cross over point between utility and futility (ie just pure excess.)

Still working out the kinks of some drawings, but at least on paper it is possible to make an extending box high enough to stand in.

Right now I have more questions than answers, which is why I am here.

cwsqbm

Explorer
The payload capacity of a 20' shipping container is approx. 10,000 lbs (21,600kg). So I do not suspect that a vehicle capable of fitting inside would exceed this amount.

The 21,600 kg is correct. However, that's about 47,500 lbs. Plenty of capacity, even if your truck is armor-plated.

Mamontof

Explorer
No, the Eco Roamer is ECO because they used sustainable materials for the construction, such as bamboo, and there counter tops are made out of recycled paper mixed with a resin that hardens it into a counter. They try to use Bio fuel, and such like that. Aside from all of that the thing has a tiny ecological footprint when compared to someone living in a house driving a Honda.

You wonted drive Green in small European town ...here a conception ( a motor bike with bio fuel option )

Camper-Bike-21.jpg
2920ac76d221271038fa1aea543d1d79_d5f.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears