Ultimate Expedition Vehicle

Shiryas

Adventurer
Metcalf,

Your ideas really remind me of the Ibex, based on Land Rover mechanicals.

http://www.ibexvehicles.com/

6-1.jpg

Attachments

• ibex_001.jpg
    ibex_001.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 41

Lynn

Expedition Leader
With the talk about containerization on this thread, I have to express a view :) Keeping in mind I am far from an expert in vehicle shipping...

The 20' high cube container is not a standard size. ISO standard sizes are 20' standard height, 30' standard height, 40' standard height, and 40' high cube.

While 20' high cube and 30' high cube containers may be available in major ports, I don't think I want to count on the availability of either in minor ports.

An alternative not mentioned above is a set of 'container wheels.' They have been used by Allrad Christ for some of their rig builds. Basically mini wheels that can be installed in place of your 36" tires to lower the vehicle enough for the top of the vehicle to clear the container door opening. Steel disks small enough that you end up with just a couple of inches of ground clearance.

If I had an Earthcruiser-type vehicle (designed to fit in a high cube container with normal wheels installed) I would still carry a set of container wheels just in case I get stuck somewhere that doesn't have non-standard containers available. Or someplace that wants to use that as an excuse to charge extra.

The container wheels, basically steel disks, should be easy enough to store on your vehicle when not in the container.

And when in the container it should be easy enough to store your normal wheels/tires under the front and rear overhang of the vehicle.

Last edited:

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
They already make the "perfect Expo rig" IMO... they just don't sell it in N.America: It's the Toyota 70-series Troopy: 5spd, Turbo-Diesel, Solid Axles, F/R Lockers GREAT cargo capacity and massively proven reliability. (for more room a unimog would be a great or a G-wagen as an alternative to the 70 since it's pretty much the same thing only German made not Japanese)

Cheers

Dave

The Adam Blaster

Expedition Leader
An alternative not mentioned above is a set of 'container wheels.' They have been used by Allrad Christ for some of their rig builds. Basically mini wheels that can be installed in place of your 36" tires to lower the vehicle enough for the top of the vehicle to clear the container door opening. Steel disks small enough that you end up with just a couple of inches of ground clearance.

I think this would solve the problem of fitting a taller truck into a container, but create an additional issue of storing the wheel/tire combo on the vehicle while on a long-term and long distance trip.
Since we're already talkign about a vehicle that is too large to fit into a container, the wheels are likely to be fairly large as well - even small ones still have to clear the brake assemblies. So the rims are going to be at least 17" in diameter, then add the rubber around, probably another 10-12", so you're dealing with a set of 4 tires/rims that are about 30" in diameter and at least 10" wide. Storing that on a vehicle will take up a considerable amount of space. I could see the roof being the most appropriate spot, but then you're adding at least a couple hundred pounds of weight up at the highest possible point.

Alternatively, maybe just finding a place to store those extra tires/wheels would be a better option?

Lynn

Expedition Leader
I think this would solve the problem of fitting a taller truck into a container, but create an additional issue of storing the wheel/tire combo on the vehicle while on a long-term and long distance trip.
Since we're already talking about a vehicle that is too large to fit into a container, the wheels are likely to be fairly large as well - even small ones still have to clear the brake assemblies. So the rims are going to be at least 17" in diameter, then add the rubber around, probably another 10-12", so you're dealing with a set of 4 tires/rims that are about 30" in diameter and at least 10" wide. Storing that on a vehicle will take up a considerable amount of space. I could see the roof being the most appropriate spot, but then you're adding at least a couple hundred pounds of weight up at the highest possible point.

Here are some pictures of what I meant by 'container wheels'. I should have included pictures in my previous post. 'Worth a thousand words', and all that.

They are thin, so should be easy enough to store up under the chassis somewhere. Or maybe if you carry two spares wheels/tires you could use long mounting bolts and stack two of the container wheels behind each spare.

They would have to be fairly heavy if they are to be strong enough to support the weight of a rig, but probably not more than 15 - 20# each. So let's say 80# total. Still not an insignificant amount of weight, but as I mentioned earlier, I think it would be cheap insurance against the unavailability of a high cube container.

Plus you would need some sort of ramp to get into and out of the container, but I'm guessing the shipper would have some scrap lumber or something laying around.

Alternatively, maybe just finding a place to store those extra tires/wheels would be a better option?

You mean storing them near the port while the truck is 'on tour,' right? That may work well as long as your 'tour' is circuitous. If you are traversing a continent, then that's obviously a different story.

Attachments

• bremach container wheels.jpg
    bremach container wheels.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 76
  • bremach container wheels 1.jpg
    bremach container wheels 1.jpg
    207 KB · Views: 83

Toyotero

Explorer
These look like a good item for a biz such as Panama Passage to have to rent to travelers and perhaps ship back from Colombia.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
From Metcalf in post #58, seems most of the list could be put in an Astro Van! Maybe a super astro with raised hard side for upper and lower bunks for 4, pull out in the back for a bathroom? Seems you guys could build off the AWD with 4x4 hi/lo, stuff a diesel in if you must and redo the suspension, flair the wheel wells and go much smaller.

Just seems there are many existing vehicles, unless I missed the part about having to build a new body. And what happened to the trailer comment to serve as part of the requirements, like sleeping 4 and inside shower?

Yes, most all of this is a question....LOL

Jay H

servicedriven.org
Fun thread. Its far better to dream than to hate.

Throwing out another opinion here. I would like to see a two vehicle solution for this ultimate question and quest for improvement.

1. Small light fast

2. Big heavy for the long haul.

Being that I have not yet cracked 30 and travel with only my fiance and no pets or children and have done a year in the US in a 2004 Toyota Rav4 I have some different ideas.

I am envisioning something with dimensions like that of a vanagon or westfalia maybe even a touch shorter. Short wheel base no massive 37" tires. A hard pop up would be ideal. I am thinking modern which may be irritating to the solid axle mechanical diesel crowd.

I like my 4 wheel independent suspension and impossibly small turning radius on my RAV4. I am envisioning a high tech but solid drive train with no viscous coupling or electric/hydrolic clutches.

My number one choice of engine would be a Mercedes inline 5 diesel ala sprinter van.

Second choice would be a compact light weight aluminum V6 normally aspirated with all the moden features except direct injection as I am not sure on the reliability just yet. A narrow V toyota with dual vvt from a global spec toyota vehicle.

Yes this would probably be a trans axle with transverse mounted engine. Front Trans axle would have transmission, front differential, and center differential. It would be divided internally so ATF where ATF belongs and synthetic gear oil where that belongs.

This would be coupled to a tough large for the size and weight of the vehicle 8 speed tiptronic auto box. The first two gears would be very low crawl gears. It would have a huge transmission cooler with thermostat to open and close it mainly for cold weather.

I am a huge fan of the now Toyota owned torsen type mechanical LSD differential. I would want one of these in the back and front. Identical units for redundancy would be ideal. This would mean a ECU like a tacoma with the auto LSD would be needed for situations involving wheel lift. Anti lock brakes that disengage when traveling 6mph or less is good. The speed signal for this would come from a GPS so that even if there is a ton of wheel spin it knows I am not over 6mph. Tundra sized disc brakes with the same caliper on all 4s. With the same hose even, I like redundancy. 1 CV and 1 caliper and 1 wheel bearing and 1 wheel speed sensor is about all the spare I would like to be obligated to carry.

I would want a very unique center diff. I would want to be able to do disengaged i.e front wheel drive, and torsen AWD with up to 80% lock. If a locker can be added with very little weight I guess I will roll with it. This would give good highway milage and manners and fuel economy and awd fun and full locked traction on demand.

Just for something different I think matching double A arms at all 4 corners with the fattest Porsche sized CVs. All 4 corners being identical. And for the drive line more super fat Porsche sized CVs. Think bigger than the front end of a new stock toyota tundra. Plenty for something with a low over all weight.

And again with the modern stuff electric power steering an upsized version of course. Its good for mileage and turning is nearly effortless. Takes some getting used to not for every one.

I huge alternator is expensive I am thinking 2 stock toyota denso or other high quality units going to 2 batteries and some fancy computer management.

LED lighting every where not one vacuum tube and NO relays and only one solenoid for the starter all solid state electronics rated 3 to 1. I.E. 50 amp drawn circuit - 150 amp rated transistor.

Ideally this thing would look similar to a syncro van from the out side or maybe rounded like a mini van hah I know but having a low profile is good.

Since this is a day dream of a vehicle it will be a space frame constructed from light weight 4130 cromoly steel tubing. Panels will be foam honey comb for insulation and strength. This should keep weight very low.

Coil over suspension would be cool. My tire choice would be michelin LTX MS2 in 245 75 16. 6 Lug aluminum rims probably Tacoma or Tundra. A very capable tire that wears like iron and hooks up well on all but mud. Quiet and low rolling resistance. A ride height and ground clearance like a TRD tacoma in stock form should be enough but maybe a 1 to 2" lift. A manually dis-connectable sway link would be nice.

hard sided pop up top

solar

giant battery

fridge

on board water 50 gallons.

heat exchanger like helton for on board hot water.

diesel cook range would be cool

All DC electronics I am not fond of inverters.

second fuel tank

locking Steel mesh cage on the back for 3 bicycles.

Custom electric compressor, belt driven oil unit powered by fan cooled brushless RC air craft motor with gear reduction. - mostly because this is a heck of a lot more quiet than an oil less unit and brushless motors are awesome.

No winch and no high lift just a big (10,000lb) tirfor grip hoist with lots of rigging and double extension hydrolic ram type jack with a few wood blocks in an easy access location. A full sized shovel is also a must.

Lajning

Observer
That would really be something, Jay.

Although I have no experience with 4x4's or any custom cars really, I still dream of embarking a around the world trip in a expedition style vehicle.
My latest craving is a Volvo c304 (tgb13) with a twist.

Stock drivetrain with Toyota or Nissan 6 cyl. tdi 3+ litre. Automatic gearbox connected to stock transfer case.
Pickup truck style cab for some added critter safety (in the stock vehicle, your legs is part of the crumple zone), this would give you a good 3-4 feet of frame and engine between you and any obstacle.
Hard sided pop-up camper with cab-over sleeping platform.

These are the basics. Add lots of electric stuff, lights, navigation equipment etc. On-board air, hot/cold water and aux fuel tank.

My mental picture is awesome, I wish I could photoshop a picture for you. Will try it, but I think it will look rubbish.

jkam

nomadic man
I'm a big fan of the Unicat using a Bucher Duro as a base. About the only thing I'd add would be an inside shower.
It will fit in a container using container wheels. Has a decent engine, transmission and is a good size for exploring in smaller tighter conditions. Would be just right for a couple.

http://www.unicat.net/en/info/BS6KD.html

BS6KD-560.jpg
BS6KD.2-560.jpgBS6KD.3-560.jpgBS6KD.4-560.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan

Members online