'03 Tacoma Build

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
Hey, I have some of those on my truck. OK, their not as artistic as your handywork but they're about the same color.

01tundra

Explorer
Finally got to try out the new kayak bed rack :). The boats are super secure and don't budge, all the way up to 75 MPH, so I'm happy with it. I wish I would have bought a Tacoma years ago.....I love this truck!

kayak1.jpg

kayak2.jpg

kayak4.jpg

kayak3.jpg

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
Very nice to see the plan come together. Anything in mind for the future or do you have it built about where you want it?

01tundra

Explorer
I think I'm pretty much where I want to be with it for now.

It's basically ready for any camping, exploring, adventure, and/or trail riding trip I would want to throw at it.

Toss the fridge and tentcot in it and drive :).

It's now the FJ's turn to get a little lovin' :D

docjake

Observer
Have you had the chance to try out the winch yet? I am thinking of doing something similar with my second gen, and wanted to know how much flex/binding you get. I will make a real bumper for it soon but I don't want to cut it up yet; I know that once you get out the sawzall it is a slippery slope.

01tundra

Explorer
Have you had the chance to try out the winch yet? I am thinking of doing something similar with my second gen, and wanted to know how much flex/binding you get. I will make a real bumper for it soon but I don't want to cut it up yet; I know that once you get out the sawzall it is a slippery slope.

I haven't used it in the field yet, just around the house. The only way I could get any flex is if the frame rails decided to twist together, which I suppose would mean the truck would flip over itself :). I'm willing to bet that my winch mount is as strong as (read: much stronger) than any "winch bumper" that can be purchased.

tchughes

Observer
Thanks for sharing the build on the winch mounted in the bumper. I would like to put something similar to this in my 3rd gen 4Runner and this will give me a good place to start (steal from). :p

01tundra

Explorer
Well after noticing that my tires are wearing on the inside last week I'm guessing my alignment is out.

Here's the rub, nobody around here will do the alignment with the front Budbuilt skid plate installed, and when I remove it the truck lifts up about an 1/8". So today I'm going to pull of all three plates and give them a little trimming.....ok, maybe a lot of trimming. I would like to lighten the truck up and also allow the front end to be aligned without me having to wrestle with these heavy skid plates. I will have to give up a certain level of protection, but over the years with my old Tundra I learned through trial and error that there areas wear the level of protection can be reduced, I've just got to figure out that balance.

I'm assuming that when they align the front end, the issue is getting to the adjustment nuts at the lower A-arms, I want to make sure I trim enough in the areas needed - does anybody know of anything else that needs to be accessed when doing a front-end alignment on an ifs rig?

shmabs

Explorer
I'm curious to see what you do with the skids, I plan on fabbing my own and want to make sure they don't need to be pulled for an alignment.

Off of the top of my head I can think of the both front and rear lower control arm bolts and the tie rod ends as the big things you need easy access to for an alignment.

01tundra

Explorer
I was really hoping to trim a lot off both plates, but there's not really enough to trim to justify it on the transmission/t-case plate. I may have been able to take 5 lbs. or so off it, so it wasn't really worth messing with IMO.

I did trim the front plate to allow for alignments to be performed with the plate installed. After doing all this work, I waited at the alignment shop for over an hour for them to tell me that the toe adjustment sleeve jam nuts were frozen so they couldn't align it.....so I took it home and hit them with a shot of Kroil and about 30 seconds with my torch and they broke loose, applied anti-seize and then back to the alignment shop to get it finished.

Last edited:

Box Rocket

So freakin jealous of the plasma cutter. If I had to do that it would be hours with a stupid grinder. As for protection I think you'll be just fine with how you've cut those. Hopefully it allows the necessary access to have an alignment done.

01tundra

Explorer
You're more than welcome to come use it any time you need to :ylsmoke:

Yep, the mechanic said that he had no problems aligning it with the skid plate installed.

01tundra

Explorer
No real updates.

Ended up changing the inner & outer TRE's while replacing the steering rack boot on the passenger side a few weeks ago.

The Duratracs are starting to get a little slick in the rain and are pretty loud, but still have tread left on them and are still very balanced. I've got a little over 50k miles on them now, so no complaints there. Wish they weren't so loud, but that's the only real complaint I have about them. I'll easily get 60k miles out of them.

I'm trying to decide what tires will go on the FJ and Tacoma next and I can't rule the Duratracs out, so far they're the front runner. The Cooper S/T Max's are attractive, but I think the weight will knock them out. If Cooper would make a C-rated S/T Max I'd be all over them. I'd really like to give them a shot.

Absolutely no regrets, I still love this little truck like the day I brought it home. I'll run it until it dies, replace the engine, and repeat :ylsmoke:.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk