1995 Montero SR Build

barnstormer

Wanderer
I'm a bit late to this conversation, but here's pics of the Grand Cherokee ARB I mounted on my Monty. The only mods to the bumper were cutting the side "wings" down a few inches.
608026055_cx37T-L.jpg

The white tape is where we cut it. The only other thing we needed was a spacer plate about 1/4" thick to mate the frame ends to the bumper tabs. No mods to the truck at all, bolted right on.

608025804_sUyVB-L.jpg

There it is!!! Those are the pics I saw.

The ARB that I picked up was for a Jeep Cherokee Sport... so it is narrower than the grand cherokee. I still need to pick up some steel to make the brackets and then weld everything in.

evileric

Observer
Seriously? 33s on a stock Montero? That's very impressive! My truck's got 33s, and those are NOT small tires. I have trouble imagining those actually fitting, but if that's the case, then that's one more reason why these vehicles are the bargain of the...decade? Locker, adjustable suspension and fits 33s with no mods?

WIN!:wings::sombrero::ylsmoke::Wow1:

And no rubbing issues at all? Even tucked in, lock to lock?

I really need to find one soon. Fingers crossed.

Figured i'd chime in, I picked up a set of Big Foot AT 33x12.5x15 tires and alum wheels, 15x10. I have no lift at all, and my adjustable shocks are worn out and I bolted that wheel/tire set tight up. But the real kicker is, the tire reads "12.50" wide, but you can tell by the picture its more like 13" or 14". Love mine! Collecting parts for my SAS now!

255886_119117838171658_100002203268656_163041_7501797_o.jpg

243339_119118148171627_100002203268656_163045_1311659_o.jpg

zukrider

Explorer
@evileric- start up a thread detailing your SAS. start now with your thoughts and theory's. also include the parts list and such. it will be nice to see a SAS start to finish on this forum. also, nice color choice, i have the same!

@LAoutbacktrail- can you give a couple measurements on the rack? the length/width/height. also the bottom of rain gutter to top of racks top rail. thanx in advance, im in need of these for reference in your pic.

@barnstormer- can you detail/provide pics of the mounting of your GC bumper? number of points of frame contact? number of bolts?

thanx in advance guys!

@evileric- start up a thread detailing your SAS. start now with your thoughts and theory's. also include the parts list and such. it will be nice to see a SAS start to finish on this forum. also, nice color choice, i have the same!

YES!

@LAoutbacktrail- can you give a couple measurements on the rack? the length/width/height. also the bottom of rain gutter to top of racks top rail. thanx in advance, im in need of these for reference in your pic.
I'll measure this evening... but if I recall correctly, it is 86"x47" ish. I believe the top rail of the basket is 4-5". The mounts that I used provide about 1/2" clearance at the tightest point (rear center).

@barnstormer- can you detail/provide pics of the mounting of your GC bumper? number of points of frame contact? number of bolts?

The stock bumper has 2 or 3 17mm bolts on each side with welded capture nuts on the frame. When I finally install my bumper, I will be utilizing the stock mounting points.

Ray.... I've been searching 4x4 wire for a couple hours now.... trying to find info on the timing belt changes....

They have kits on ebay, but I'm question the quality of their components. Started pricing it out with Oreilly and using Gates and Beck Arnley components, I'm looking at closer to 600. Similar to buying Mitsubishi parts. Also need a full gasket kit.

Due to the amount of work needed I think we're going to just yank the motor. Going to do the timing belt replacement as well as a reseal replacing all 24 of the bloody valve seals. A lot of work, but it works out that my wife and I commute together in her Sentra, so its not an issue to take my time.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Ray.... I've been searching 4x4 wire for a couple hours now.... trying to find info on the timing belt changes....
Sorry, just saw your post.

They have kits on ebay, but I'm question the quality of their components. Started pricing it out with Oreilly and using Gates and Beck Arnley components, I'm looking at closer to 600. Similar to buying Mitsubishi parts. Also need a full gasket kit.
I'd go OEM for the water pump and timing belt and tensioner. I think the rest of the belts, & pulleys can be any reliable brand.

Due to the amount of work needed I think we're going to just yank the motor. Going to do the timing belt replacement as well as a reseal replacing all 24 of the bloody valve seals. A lot of work, but it works out that my wife and I commute together in her Sentra, so its not an issue to take my time.
Plugs and wires too since you'll be removing them anyway. Also inspect and seriously consider replacing the lower intake plenum with a new OEM unit to avoid a butterfly valve failure.

Check engine light has come on on 3 occasions now...... Has been while in stop in go type traffic and goes off once cruising at hwy speeds.

A question I have is, how do I check the engine codes? The truck has an OBDII port.... but when I've connected my scanner it says it cannot, but it does light up.... works on my wife's car. Any way to search my VIN number online to tell me if it is OBDII compliant?

Any ideas for why the check engine light is coming on? O2 sensors..... hopefully?

sandalscout

Adventurer
I could be completely off base here, but in 94-95 Mitsubishi put ODB-II connectors in all/most of their cars, but they were not actually ODB-II compliant. I had a 1994 Mirage and a 1995 Mirage that were both that way. You could read them using the ODBI method as outlined here:

http://www.stealth316.com/2-diagcodes91-93.htm

I suspect that the Montero is nearly the same.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chubbytaco