1995 Montero SR Build

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Ray, what would you do if you were yanking and refreshing the motor?

Check with the guys on 4x4wire. That's where a bulk the online experts are.

Oh, and the intake manifold w/ fresh butterfly valves is a dealer only item however it may be available from 3rd party sources that are able to sell Mitsu OE parts.

HTH.

Heh... got all excited was about to order some Jaos mud flaps........ then had a great laugh.

Sorry for the near facebook type message.... Google them and you will see my point.

Chili

Explorer
I have a couple of friends that work at LKQ locally, if you have the need to source OEM parts and are okay with used. They are better with cosmetic stuff but also reman engines and sell short and long blocks, etc. I assume they can do intakes and such as well.

I usually call them to give my CC info and then they just grab the parts and meet me to pick up.

Let me know if you think you could use something from them

Changed the oil in the Monty today. For the second time.

And realized that I have only put 3000 miles on the truck since I bought it.

While under the hood I found that the valve cover gaskets are leaking pretty badly. Not enough to drip on the ground, but enough to drip onto the headers. Small power steering leak that is relatively new, and looks like the pinion seal is leaking as well. More stuff to do.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
While under the hood I found that the valve cover gaskets are leaking pretty badly. Not enough to drip on the ground, but enough to drip onto the headers. Small power steering leak that is relatively new, and looks like the pinion seal is leaking as well. More stuff to do.

IIRC if you're gonna be changing the valve cover gaskets you may as well consider doing your valve guide seals since you'll have access to them (using the Rope or LP Air trick).

IIRC if you're gonna be changing the valve cover gaskets you may as well consider doing your valve guide seals since you'll have access to them (using the Rope or LP Air trick).

Correct. Plan is to pull the engine crack it all open to be sure nothing else needs to be addressed and do a full engine gasket reseal and full timing belt service.

We are preparing for a trip to Belize/Guatemala after all.

Drove the monty home to Louisiana this week. First tank landed me a whopping 20.2 mpg (tire size adjusted), quite a lovely fuel economy. Mostly highway with a few stop and go sections do to multiple wrecks on the interstate. I'll be filling up in the morning for the second tank, which was 160 miles of hwy and about 30 miles of city driving. I suspect the mileage is closer to 14mpg judging by the numbers.

However, both tanks I used mid grade fuel. One from a Krogers gas station, the second from a Shell. Tomorrow the gas will come from an increasingly rare "no ethanol" gas station and will continue to use mid grade fuel.

Unfortunately the numbers from that tank will be useless because we will be taking backroads and flooded farm roads.... good possibility that we may get stuck. Should be interesting.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Behind the instrument cluster. You can simply unplug the wire going to it to disable it if it's bugging you as it did me.:ylsmoke:

Behind the instrument cluster. You can simply unplug the wire going to it to disable it if it's bugging you as it did me.:ylsmoke:

I need to trouble shoot it to FIX it and make it WORK! I've forgotten my lights on at work three times in the last few months! (bright, but misty rainy mornings)
And, I accidentally left my keys in the ignition last night after I hurt myself unloading some heavy stones... I've got a one tracked, easily distracted mind...

While I was waiting on the battery to charge, I FINALLY blinked the codes. Got a 403, EGR Solenoid code. Ok, no big deal, will inspect it this weekend and likely replace it.

But I had another question, the ABS light blinked similarly as if it was throwing a code. I didn't know the ABS blinked codes and could not find any reference in my FSM (but it is missing pages). Also the A/T light flashed, but couldn't tell if it was blinking a code or not. Is this common? Both the ABS and A/T seem fine. But the ABS does turn off when I am in 4wd...

scrubber3

Not really here
Are you sure that your battery and charging system are functioning properly? Sometimes low voltage can throw a few codes here and there. Most of how the PCM determines it needs to throw a code is due to low voltage consistency in that particular area. Glad I don't have to deal with ABS codes.... Oh the joy of having an LS with the SR rear end! :)

OK, so found some ABS codes online.
"25-27 ............................ 4WD Power Circuit Fault " is what I am getting for the ABS. Any clues?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven