1995 Montero SR Build

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Check engine light has come on on 3 occasions now...... Has been while in stop in go type traffic and goes off once cruising at hwy speeds.

A question I have is, how do I check the engine codes? The truck has an OBDII port.... but when I've connected my scanner it says it cannot, but it does light up.... works on my wife's car. Any way to search my VIN number online to tell me if it is OBDII compliant?

Any ideas for why the check engine light is coming on? O2 sensors..... hopefully?

It's most likely not OBDII compliant. OBDII wasn't mandated until 1996. You need to break out the Factory Service Manual and using a analog multimeter read the electrical pulses to determine the stored error code.

OBDII port??
294282_656859526701_62002887_33505882_1070316861_n.jpg

Whenever I was searching for the information the other day, I saw a diagram of which ports to stick the multimeter probes into... can't find it now. I have the FSM but do not see anything about checking the diagnostics codes?

Frustrated now because the CEL is staying on. Bad things happen when I get frustrated.:mad:

scrubber3

Not really here
Yeah, that's the OBD port. BTW, I bought a timing belt kit off of ebay for my LS that had the seals, gaskets, belt, and water pump for around 100 bucks and it has performed flawlessly for months now.

No. But I noticed a trend, the days that were below about 35* and driving around would keep me from having heat. I'm thinking about getting one of those wind screens to help block the radiator this winter.

We had a 49* morning earlier this week which necessitated the need for the heater. It worked fine and I had to turn it off within a mile or two from home.

I'm planning to do some work to the truck during the first weeks of winter (or as soon as I can clear out the garage) and plan on cleaning the AC/heater system. Will also be doing the timing belt service and changing the valve stem seals.

scrubber3

Not really here
I noticed that same trend with mine. I have flushed out the coolant system completely in mine to include taking the heater hoses off the heater core and flushing it individually and it has only helped minimally. It gets warmer on the driver side than on the passenger side, so to accommodate the passenger I got a 12v plug in heater and installed it on that side. It may have something to do with the blend doors. I just despise taking the dash apart to hunt that little demon down. Midway through the summer I installed and new ac compressor and dryer (both denso). I ended having to get a condenser fan/motor, but that led me to finding the SR air locker that I recently installed. If you need a new compressor, try to do it when you do the timing belt since you will have to take it off anyway. (though I am sure you knew that) Great looking rig by the way! I will post up pics of mine soon since I have modded the mess out of it. Doesn't even look like the same truck.

Nope and Nope, Ray. My best guess will be O2 sensors.

I'm not overly worried about the truck. I drive it maybe 20 miles a week and have no trips planned in the coming months. Planning to do the work this winter before we have any chance for ice.

94monster

Observer
Hi, new around here but had a Montero for a couple of years. I kept getting intermittent check engine lights for EGR system, and for Cam timing sensor. I replaced the sensor but still haven't fixed the EGR yet. I notice that it does run smoother now. Anyway my point is that you really should blink the codes on the dash before you just start replacing stuff. Also I did the timing belt on mine in the truck and oce the radiator and fan are out it's not too bad. I also did headgaskets in the truck and that wasn't so much fun but definitely possible to do. It is easy to do the valve seals with the heads still on if you have compressed air and the seal pliers.

HTH

off-roader

Expedition Leader
The FSM shows you how to read the codes in a pre-obdii vehicle. You'll need a 12v power probe w/ a light so you can see the 'blinks' or an analog multimeter.

I may just be stupid, but I've read my FSM and even downloaded it on the net just in case my FSM had the page torn out... I don't see it anywhere. It DOES show the codes though, but doesn't say how to do it.

I've started collecting parts for the engine refresh to take place in December. We are pulling the engine, cleaning the snot out of everything, changing all seals and gaskets, water pump, timing belt, checking for detrimental wear, etc.

Since this will be a very THOROUGH project, I am wondering what other maintenance things I should consider?

I've read about some upgraded butterfly? Where do I find that part and how necessary is that? Some specific bolt that likes to break? Need to replace head bolts after separating the heads from block?

Ray, what would you do if you were yanking and refreshing the motor?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven