1st Gen Hilux 3RZ build thread - Stoffregen Motorsports

This truck is being built with race car inspiration so a Momo steering wheel was a must. I have quite a few Momos laying around, but I thought this large suede Monte Carlo would be the ticket. Even though it's red...I'll dye it later.

I bought a steering wheel hub from NRG to fit the Tacoma coulmn. It is not air bag capable, but I didn't care since all those electronics would be deleted anyway.

The hub is thin and the wheel sits too close to the turn signal stalk, but I knew this ahead of time. I am looking for a nice quick release to add as a spacer.

This is the quick release I want, but not in blue. I'll buy a black one.

jds0912

Adventurer
I love that I'm 5 pages into the thread and there's been basically zero bolt-ons. Following this one for sure. Gonna be sick! The 2nd gen taco you did is my favorite SAS ever; blows there are no pics of it in the wild.
Pic for reference
Chuck_Ferry_Tacoma347Small.jpg

I love that I'm 5 pages into the thread and there's been basically zero bolt-ons. Following this one for sure. Gonna be sick! The 2nd gen taco you did is my favorite SAS ever; blows there are no pics of it in the wild.
Pic for reference
Chuck_Ferry_Tacoma347Small.jpg

I love that truck too. I called it "Tacoma HD" while I was building it and the name kind of stuck.

I appreciate that there are people out there that understand the efforts that go into a build. Thanks for noticing.

Oh maybe you missed it, but the steering wheel hub bolts on...!

Loving this build. Is there a link to this tacoma build?? I want both
Here are a few Toyota builds I've completed. Enjoy!

2006 Tacoma
http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=160394

2005 4Runner - my work starts on page 3
http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=157745

4Runner Fender Mods
http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=164292&highlight=stoffregen

4.0 Swap - '87 4Runner
http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=184710

Great work
Thanks.

austintaco

Explorer
I have your fender job on the 1st gen 4runner saved from a few years ago. If I ever decide to cut my fenders, that's the way I would like to do it. Very nice work.

I remember you from back then. That was 4 years ago!

That first fender job took 7 days the first time, but I've gotten it down to 5 1/2 days. Then there's paint on top of it all so it's not for the faint of heart.

Thanks.

Dwill817

Toyota Fanatic!
Man! I hope I'm 3/4 as good as you are one day!

How old are you, if you don't mind me asking? That way I have a goal to shoot toward. Like being 3/4 as good as you when I'm your age :)

What's in a number...? I feel older than I am, but I have been feeling that way since I was young. I've always liked old things, from before the age of recyclable consumerism. Maybe that lends to the vision of quality and helps me stay focused on the details. I am a die-hard for the details.

Anyway, thanks again.

Here's more pics. Rust repair...and fender well mods. I had no idea the rust was there until I pulled up the carpets. I was not pleased. But I knew I wanted to open up the fender well. You just can't do it much on these first gen trucks, so the reward may hardly be worth the effort. But I guess every little bit helps.

It's not sexy, but it will look a lot better after paint.

Sempertoy

Explorer
Man, I want this truck so damn bad. I have an unexplainable obsession with first gen pickups. I am not in the position to buy one right now, but when I finish school its first on my list of things to do. Then I will 3-link the 80.

Man, I want this truck so damn bad. I have an unexplainable obsession with first gen pickups. I am not in the position to buy one right now, but when I finish school its first on my list of things to do. Then I will 3-link the 80.

I have never had a 1st gen Hilux and most of my customers have 1st or 2nd gen Tacomas or 2nd gen pickups so I haven't done much work on these old trucks. I have noticed how many features of the older trucks are more durable, but some areas have definitely been improved upon over the years as well. One area I have noticed that the newer trucks are vastly better is in the cab structure. The dash structure with the built in tube reinforcement on the later trucks had me wondering if I wanted to add some beef to the 1st gen. I wanted to build an interior roll cage, but there is not a lot of room in there. So as a compromise, I am going to build a 2 point seat belt bar (I am not calling it a roll bar) that will be bolted to the floor at the body mount and also up high where the stock seat belt bolts to the "b" pillar. ANd then I am again on the fence about a roll bar in the bed. A good solid cage would take up a lot of room, but it may be a smart addition.

I haven't subed to a build thread in a while..... looks like you hooked me!

I will have to watch this as I have a 2000 Taco (317,000 miles) that I have owned since new and in a few more years will have to make a decision on replacement or a super build.

Doesn't hurt that your shop is in one of my favorite places on the West coast!

I used to think that I was the drug dealer, handing out freebies so users would get hooked and eventually owe me everything they have so I could build them the ride of their dreams. Now I have come to the understanding that I am the druggie, hooked on my own product. I do it because I love it, customers be damned!!!

Thanks.

As I said earlier, I eventually want to have coilovers up front, so I had to build some shock mounts that would be strong enough to bear the weight of the truck.

Here goes.

Reservoir mounts to the hoop.

You can see the bumper tie-back in this pic as well. It goes through the radiator support to the bumper and back to the shock hoop. For heavy winching.

Then it was time to take the body off to finish the shock tabs and to finish the metal work to the cab before I sent it off to the blasters.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad