1st Gen Hilux 3RZ build thread - Stoffregen Motorsports

Awesome work, I love how the dash is turning out!
It kind of took on a form of itself. When you've got such tight quarters to work in, there isn't a lot of room for style. But that's not to say that style isn't a main priority. Thanks.

So impressive! Envious of your welding skills.
Thanks. Welding sheet metal is really about patience. If you go too fast, you will definitely screw it up.

preacherman

Explorer
Great build! I love that you are turning a truck that has been built a million times into something new and unseen before. Your desire to restore with originality is truly inspiring. Keep up the great work.

Well done. You sir is a craftsman
Thanks. Stop by on the way to the Rubicon.

Great build! I love that you are turning a truck that has been built a million times into something new and unseen before. Your desire to restore with originality is truly inspiring. Keep up the great work.
I didn't really have a plan for this truck except a loose vision. My hands take over and the brain gets put into slave mode only telling the hands where and how much. I can't wait until it's in final paint though. Only then will it all come together. Right now I feel like a piece of trash driving it around. Like I should be selling meth to homeless people or something. Paint will change all of that.

lugueto

Adventurer
This build is absolutely awesome and i'm only gonna ask this question to nitpick a little bit

Isn't the instrument panel a little obstructed by the casing you built? It looks a little on the small side and might interrupt the view of a tall driver, for example? (I don't know if that's the case)

This build is absolutely awesome and i'm only gonna ask this question to nitpick a little bit

Isn't the instrument panel a little obstructed by the casing you built? It looks a little on the small side and might interrupt the view of a tall driver, for example? (I don't know if that's the case)

It's actually not. The angle of the gauge interior surround is not at a right angle to the exterior piece. It opens up as it gets further away from the face of the cluster.

Thanks.

screwball48

Explorer
If you feel like this is a meth dealers ride then I would gladly take it off your hands so you could save face in the community.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

screwball48

Explorer
In all seriousness this truck is turning into one of the best I have seen for a hilux of that series.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

84 yota

Awesome!! I'm not a welder but is it impossible to fully weld sheet metal? Is it all spot welds? And what black plastic trim pieces do you need? Why can't you paint the factory ones? SEM color coat works quite well..

surlydiesel

Adventurer
If you weld sheet metal too fast, the heat makes it distort. You have to move the heat around as you weld in order to make it hold its shape.

-jorge

Yeah, welding up a seam like that can be tricky. The heat of the weld will definitely distort the metal, no matter how careful you are, but you also need enough heat to melt the rod deep enough into the seam so when you grind it away, there is enough material left behind to keep it strong.

Sometimes, If I can access the backside of the seam, I will fully weld it from both sides so when the face is ground and sanded smooth, there is no question that it will be strong.

Check out this link. It's a fender mod thread that I did a few years ago. The rear fenders were welded from the front and the back so I could grind it to a nice smooth radius. http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=164292

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad