1st gen tundra problems - a buyers guide

fourstringfletch

Adventurer
I hope to see a double cab tundra in my near future and I'd like some input on a few issues I've seen in used trucks available to me.

Motivating this thread is an 04 for sale 200 yards from my house with "transmission problems." Mechanics are sparse here and according to the seller; "I just dont have the time to deal with it at the moment. It is still drivable but needs a transmission or rebuild in the near future. " Any ideas what could have gone wrong?

I also have a friend with an 05 who recently replaced a rear axle. Wheel bearing problems that didn't look like wheel bearing problems evidently.

The internet has made it too easy to find problems and worry about them (any experience with secondary air pumps?). I know these are solid trucks, but they've logged enough miles now to shake out the kinks and any additional info regarding red flags while shopping around would be appreciated greatly.

Cheers,
Fletch

tyv12

Adventurer
Very reliable, between me and friends/family I know of 10 tundra/sequoia with the 4.7. Very reliable and excellent units. Everything could break down whenever but definately go buy on that's been treated well you'll love it. As far as I know there's no air pumps on the 4.7l motors

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

silver60th

General consensus from my research says the 05-06 models are the better buy...higher HP 4.7, 5 speed transmission instead of 4, and it has the updated body style. However, the 4.7 is generally bulletproof so long as the timing belt is changed at normal intervals.

Something else to consider, the 2000-2001 had smaller brakes and several issues with rotors; this was fixed in later years. The 1st gen Tundra was produced with 3 motors: 3.4, 4.0, and 4.7 (VVT-I and non). It also came with a 5 speed manual, 6 speed manual, 4 speed auto, and 5 speed auto.

I have heard of occasional transmission issues on the 00-04. They are usually caused by weak OD planetary gears. Good news is that used transmissions for the tundra are cheap and fairly plentiful.

bkg

Explorer
Watch for.....
OD gear failures in the 4-speed
Frame rust
Jbl can be hard to optimize/integrate with
Front brakes can warp readily, especially pre-03
Rack can wear prematurely
Front unit bearings should be watched.

I've owned an 03, 04 dc and 2 06 dc's. Wish I could get an SC on the 06 and manual hubs. I'm not willing to pay for that effort.

rickashay

Explorer
Lovin' my 04'. Lower ball joints had a recall at some point. They also have the potential to fail like the 1st Gen Tacomas and 3rd Gen 4Runners if not replaced with diligence. Timing belt (as mentioned) and a nuisance is that the starter is under the intake manifold when you need to replace the contacts.

TommyG

Adventurer
My 06 was one of my favorite trucks over my lifetime. The front rotors wore out faster than other vehicles I have owned. We replaced a steering rack. It finally went down the road when it developed frame/bed rust issues toward the end of the 8 years that I had it. Overall very reliable, comfortable and trouble free. If the frame rust had not gotten so bad on my particular truck, we would probably still have it. I have friends here in the northeast with the same vintage trucks with very little rust underneath. I was just unlucky.

odonekanobe

Observer
I have an '04 DC with the TRD charger on it. Love it! On Tundra Solutions I have read that the first couple years of transmissions had the weak OD planetary gear, and also the radiator that could/would rupture between the ATF side and the coolant side creating the infamous "pink milkshake". I believe the '04s and possibly '03s have better transmissions.

Overall the consensus I have read is the '05-'06 models are the one to get because of the transmissions and VVT-I, although they cannot be supercharged without a lot of work and I believe the final drive ratio between the 4-speed and 5-speed are very close if not the same. The '05 and '06 also do not have a transmission ATF dipstick to check levels FWIW.

adrenalated

04 Access Cab here. Odo is currently at 172k with 73k of that by me. Most of the common things have been mentioned. They seem VERY reliable overall.
-frame rust in some places (not as bad as the Tacoma problems). I've had no issue.
-occasional transmission failure. Not a common issue. I've had no issue.
-some lower ball joint problems. Again, doesn't seem too common. I've had no issue.
-passenger airbags are part of the Takata recall
-steering racks eventually fail, mine will need replaced soon
-I also had to replace the trailer wiring
-front brake rotors are inadequate if you tow or run heavily loaded in the mountains, and warp easily. Fixed with Power Stop slotted & drilled rotors and problem is gone.
-I finally replaced shocks after one failed. 165k on original shocks is incredible.
-replace water pump when you do the timing belt. Previous owner didn't do this on mine so it got a timing belt early when the pump went. Engine is an interference engine, so don't wait until the timing belt fails or you're looking at an engine rebuild.
-stereo head unit died on mine shortly after I bought it. Took the opportunity to overhaul the entire system and replaced everything.
-other than that, it's just been basic routine maintenance such as fluids, spark plugs and wires, etc.

All in all it's the most reliable vehicle I've owned.

tyv12

Adventurer
Just as far as power steering, had wandering problems and a safari ltd rack is a huuuuuge upgrade as well as tacking the worn steering shaft slip joint in the steering column made an enormous difference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mrknowitall

Adventurer
If you're looking at Double cabs, it's 04-06 model years.
Brake upgrade came in 03. DC trucks are heavier than what even those brakes were designed for, so heavy use can lead to warping- buy good rotors, not chinese auto part ones.
Balljoints are also a little small for the application, so give those a good wiggle.
Replacement transmissions are available for well under a grand, if the truck down the road is a good deal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shazpete