2001 R50 Pathfinder Build-up.

bushnut

Adventurer
A dive shop in Montana? for some reason when someone says Montana I think of horses. I'm from the east coast of Canada, lots of ocean to see though very cold. Now that I live in Manitoba we have some mighty big lakes but they are very turbid, couldn't see your hand in front of your face.
I guess I'm the old man around here at almost 40. no picture though I've got a radio face.
bushnut. AKA Jon
gotta say having someone to share your adventures with is a win. heading out to GONEMOAB would be one hell of a honeymoon!

Last edited:

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
A dive shop in Montana?
I guess I'm the old man around here at almost 40. no picture though I've got a radio face.
bushnut. AKA Jon

Haha no problem with a face for radio!

Yup, a dive shop in Montana. We have three in Billings alone. There's lots of good freshwater diving around here.

Nichxestes

haha Oh for real? Ah yes the newest former pathfinder owner that should buy a Subie!

Nichxestes, I presume? :D

Hey that's me! Haha. I'm just lurking around on here right now til I can find a good deal on a Pathfinder or Xterra. Subie sounded like a good idea but I'm being discouraged from buying one as my parents have some friends with a forester who have apparently had nothing but trouble from it. I just want another R50.
Also, is being the youngest member something to take pride in or?

mortonm

Expedition Leader
That's really neat, would love to hear more about it sometime.

Do you work with what you majored in? Environmental Science sounds interesting most certainly.

I do work in the field that I majored in (not as common as you might think)

Environmental Science its a combination of a lot of fields of study, in my program there were options to major in specific topics, I decided that I enjoyed them all so I just took a bit of each.

Courses like Geology, Geophysics, limnology (lakes/rivers), geochemistry, hydrogeology, Remote Sensing, Contaminant Pathways, Climate Systems.

I currently do most of my work in Air Chemistry. Specifically I do environmental sampling for Nuclear Plants in Canada. We make sure their air filtration and emission monitoring systems are functioning properly and measuring as they are supposed to. We also collect sediment, water and fish samples for analysis and trending data (yes I get to do some fishing in my job, and drive a boat).

Its a fun field and is always evolving, and working in and around Nuclear plants is something that most people do not get to do.

Weekender41

Ready to Learn
A dive shop in Montana? for some reason when someone says Montana I think of horses. I'm from the east coast of Canada, lots of ocean to see though very cold. Now that I live in Manitoba we have some mighty big lakes but they are very turbid, couldn't see your hand in front of your face.
bushnut. AKA Jon
gotta say having someone to share your adventures with is a win. heading out to GONEMOAB would be one hell of a honeymoon!

Haha man that must feel weird only being 40 and being the 'old man'. Hopefully the Pathfinder is treating you well! I have a neighbor that has a blacked out LE (Factory) he added dark windows and lights. His looks lowered with bigger black rims and so looking at the two houses is interesting to see the different routes one can take their pathfinder.

Weekender41

Ready to Learn
Hey that's me! Haha. I'm just lurking around on here right now til I can find a good deal on a Pathfinder or Xterra. Subie sounded like a good idea but I'm being discouraged from buying one as my parents have some friends with a forester who have apparently had nothing but trouble from it. I just want another R50.
Also, is being the youngest member something to take pride in or?

Hard to go wrong with any R50 (pre and post face lift). Haha take pride in it sure! Means you have the biggest opportunities to learn from people who have been there and done that. You hopefully wont make the same mistakes that some of us (at least me) did. When I bought the R50 it had OME suspension and BFG AT tires, granted they were all worn out a little but after seeing how well it did in Durango with the stock suspension and how it was a very comfortable ride...sometimes I wish to go back. My suspension is just darn stiff right now and the control arms aren't helping.

Weekender41

Ready to Learn
I do work in the field that I majored in (not as common as you might think)

Environmental Science its a combination of a lot of fields of study, in my program there were options to major in specific topics, I decided that I enjoyed them all so I just took a bit of each.

Courses like Geology, Geophysics, limnology (lakes/rivers), geochemistry, hydrogeology, Remote Sensing, Contaminant Pathways, Climate Systems.

I currently do most of my work in Air Chemistry. Specifically I do environmental sampling for Nuclear Plants in Canada. We make sure their air filtration and emission monitoring systems are functioning properly and measuring as they are supposed to. We also collect sediment, water and fish samples for analysis and trending data (yes I get to do some fishing in my job, and drive a boat).

Its a fun field and is always evolving, and working in and around Nuclear plants is something that most people do not get to do.

That sounds pretty cool indeed. And VERY important! I think nuclear is a fantastic source of energy and when held to standards keeping up with maintenance its something I look forward to seeing in the future. I do like coal though... I may be biased though, seeing as how I live in Wyoming and we have the Black Thunder Coal Mine (largest open pit mine in US) and the entire Powder River Basin. I don't know :elkgrin:
You get to fish, excuse me, analyze samples for your job which has got to be a bonus!

Weekender41

Ready to Learn
Okay so when I get back Ill be able to post some photos but the swing arm of the bumper is now done. Today is a beautiful 60 degrees so I will be making the tire attachment part and the jerry can holders. Just have to pick up another flap disc. If you ever have a metal diy project.. A flap disc is a saving grace. Anyways all the metal is purchased already and this project has set me back 274 dollars. That includes the AtoZFab MEGA duty spindle. A latch im not using, a hitch pin retainer im not using and the ballistic fab tire plate, all the metal, the hitch tube and receiver, the latch system I am using and the recovery rings. Paint should put it right around 300 bucks and if I decide to add some aesthetics to it I will be at $350. The rear has squatted about 1/4"-1/2" with me standing on the bumper attached to the vehicle. Like I said the suspension is stupid stiff. I was driving around today with the bumper on and the rear is slightly softened so I am hoping that once the tire goes on it will be more smooth. Pics to come.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Okay so when I get back Ill be able to post some photos but the swing arm of the bumper is now done. Today is a beautiful 60 degrees so I will be making the tire attachment part and the jerry can holders. Just have to pick up another flap disc. If you ever have a metal diy project.. A flap disc is a saving grace. Anyways all the metal is purchased already and this project has set me back 274 dollars. That includes the AtoZFab MEGA duty spindle. A latch im not using, a hitch pin retainer im not using and the ballistic fab tire plate, all the metal, the hitch tube and receiver, the latch system I am using and the recovery rings. Paint should put it right around 300 bucks and if I decide to add some aesthetics to it I will be at $350. The rear has squatted about 1/4"-1/2" with me standing on the bumper attached to the vehicle. Like I said the suspension is stupid stiff. I was driving around today with the bumper on and the rear is slightly softened so I am hoping that once the tire goes on it will be more smooth. Pics to come.

Sweet! Can't wait to see pictures! That thing is gonna look sweet with a swing out.

What latch did you end up using?

Weekender41

Ready to Learn
Here We Go

Okay so when I first started to explain how the swing arm would be latched, it was hard to explain to pictures will do it better.
P1010899.JPG
Here is the top view. It is a linchpin going through a holder. The holder has rubber grommets on one side so the swing arm has to be pushed hard to let the hole for the linchpin slide in. The linchpin has a flat back on the head of it so it rests firmly against the plate. This pressure removes all forward/backward movement.
P1010900.JPG
The plate has a hole just large enough for the linchpin receiver to fit through and it is filed smooth. This hole prevents the swing arm from up and down movement.
P1010902.JPG
Another view of the plate. And yes the latch opens haha. Granted it is very close but it works. I will try and hit max flex and see if it still does but its nothing a grinder cant fix.
P1010901.JPG
This shows the pin when the swing arm is open.
P1010906.JPG
This is as far as I am along for today. The tire plate is on the way so I am waiting for that. The tire will be mounted angled back to fit the curve of the pathfinder better. This angle will also keep the weight over the bumper better but I am not too worried. The vertical arms do not really move.. This is good! :)
P1010907.JPG
I put the pin on the back for a couple reasons. I don't like the latch being exposed because there is a lot of high school kids around here that I just know would unlatch it and It also helps it look a little cleaner.
I hope it stays warm for a couple days so I can take the new wire brush and clean up some of the rust so it doesn't get anything other than surface rust.
After I get the tire actually mounted I will be putting a top plate the fills the gap from the bumper to the vehicle so dirt wont be as big of an issue. Then the sides will be attached. Its pretty close.

Weekender41

Ready to Learn
Rear Tire Is On!

Welp.. I'm done with getting the tire on the swing arm. It turned out pretty spiffy save for how the license plate is now mounted (according to my girlfriend). Here are some pics. The arm has some primer on it because it started snowing and I didn't want to deal with the rust. When it gets nice again ill have to take the whole thing off and clean it to paint but it will stay this way for now. I don't have any pictures of the plate that the tire is on but that is more out of anger then anything. That took a long time to make and I had some choice words. Anyways let me know whatcha think. I will be doing the top plate and the sides next week more than likely.
P1010909.JPG
That is a very nice angle matchup for just two guys eye-balling it!
P1010910.JPG
So here's a good photo of my dilemma, the license plate is just attached with the one screw and pressure. Granted, it is very solid even with opening and closing the hatch. Problem is, it doesn't look very good and frankly, I don't really want to deal with mud and dirt getting behind it. It is already pre-lit so I don't have to deal with any lighting.
P1010911.JPG
P1010912.JPG
As it sits now.

Allof75

Pathfinder
Looks real nice, now are you still going to cut the plastic bumper to match?

As far as the plate, I think that mounting will wear your paint and eventually get pretty tweaked. I suggest seeing if you have room on the a-arms of the swing out to hold it? Or of course magnetically attached to the bumper could work too, if you have clearance concerns, you just move it out of the way.

Weekender41

Ready to Learn
Looks real nice, now are you still going to cut the plastic bumper to match?

As far as the plate, I think that mounting will wear your paint and eventually get pretty tweaked. I suggest seeing if you have room on the a-arms of the swing out to hold it? Or of course magnetically attached to the bumper could work too, if you have clearance concerns, you just move it out of the way.

The plastic bumper doesn't stick out at the right angle or near far enough. So the sides will just be very thin sheetmetal. I thought about the license going on the swing arm and i think the would look nice yes but im not sure how to wire a light to it and still have the ability to swing the arm and open the hatch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy

Members online