2010 Chevy AWD "VanGo"

sgosine

Observer
Thank you LOVE that strong hand table myself, just started welding and it helps speed the fab process up a ton!

sgosine

Observer
Would you be kind enough to outline your prep procedure and how it worked out for you?

No problemo, the key is to really get the metal ready for the application I broke it down into 3 areas:
1. Sanding, grinding, sealing and prep
This is possibly the most important step for longevity of application, get everything roughed up almost down to the metal. I used a small orbital sander for the top of the grooves and the spongey 80 & 100 grit blocks for the low grooves and sides. Seal any holes I use (lexel). For the chevy I had to grind down the sealant they apply towards the rear to have the floor sit level.

2. Wiping cleaning and taping
After all roughed and sealed up you gotta wipe down and clean all surfaces with a vacuum then wipe everything down with xylol, which is kinda gnar so get some decent solvent gloves. Then we tape got the precision lines i wanted using frog tape(green). place it all with attention to your lines and total stick-down, once again Get surface completely clean and dust free and your ready for application.

3. Application:
This is the easy part, two applications wait till tacky (depends on humidity took approx 2 hour here in Boulder)
Get one of those drill attachments as you will wand to keep all of the elements suspended as you apply. It's pretty easy to apply with the foam rollers provided.
Remove tape after 2nd coat while still wet.

I just let the van sit overnight, and the fumes weren't that bad the next day. Was fully cured in approx1-2 days.

boardrider247

Weekend warrior anarchist
No problemo, the key is to really get the metal ready for the application I broke it down into 3 areas:
1. Sanding, grinding, sealing and prep
This is possibly the most important step for longevity of application, get everything roughed up almost down to the metal. I used a small orbital sander for the top of the grooves and the spongey 80 & 100 grit blocks for the low grooves and sides. Seal any holes I use (lexel). For the chevy I had to grind down the sealant they apply towards the rear to have the floor sit level.

2. Wiping cleaning and taping
After all roughed and sealed up you gotta wipe down and clean all surfaces with a vacuum then wipe everything down with xylol, which is kinda gnar so get some decent solvent gloves. Then we tape got the precision lines i wanted using frog tape(green). place it all with attention to your lines and total stick-down, once again Get surface completely clean and dust free and your ready for application.

3. Application:
This is the easy part, two applications wait till tacky (depends on humidity took approx 2 hour here in Boulder)
Get one of those drill attachments as you will wand to keep all of the elements suspended as you apply. It's pretty easy to apply with the foam rollers provided.
Remove tape after 2nd coat while still wet.

I just let the van sit overnight, and the fumes weren't that bad the next day. Was fully cured in approx1-2 days.

Thanks. That is pretty much how I thought it should be done, but it's always nice to here it from someone who has first hand knowledge.
Did you use the Herculiner brand bedliner? Or another brand?
I'm on the fence whether it is worth doing or not. Still lot's of other projects to dive into.

sgosine

Observer
I used the hercliner kit, and was extremely pleased with the results, especially how it looked where I tied into the lineX where the sliding door area meets the rockers. Got another kit as well since I was planning on doing a few more components & areas like wheel wells. Def understand about juggling projects, if your winter is as wet as ours might be a good idea. also, if you have a helper it all goes way quicker...

Jet-Unit

Nice Job. I've just bought a 2010 Express AWD and I will probably make some of your modification. The first thing that I will make is putting the lift kit Boulder off road 6 inches. After big tire!! Probably 33". Thanks again for your Thread!!!

sgosine

Observer
Nice Job. I've just bought a 2010 Express AWD and I will probably make some of your modification. The first thing that I will make is putting the lift kit Boulder off road 6 inches. After big tire!! Probably 33". Thanks again for your Thread!!!

Def! The 6" lift is key, will do it next time fo sho!

Dexternnk

Well i should have believed, that's what you intended as i believe the Safari is no more created. Regardless
i want to buy something used. i just found a packed 2010 Show with 10K on it.

grit

Im looking at the 6" kit as well, but wow not cheap. what does a solid axle kit install cost on a 2wd van? seems like if the solid axle kit was 8000-9000 that might be the way to go...

Jet-Unit

My Express van is an AWD. I dont have the choice to go with BoulderOffroad because they are the only one who make a lift kit for an Express van. I will call them to know why there lift kit are so expensive, for sure because they are the only one but maybe they have more stuff then a regular lift kit at 2000$.

Accrete

Explorer
Dang! I really like that! how do you like it?

sheesh, i gotta turn on reply-notification so i can reply sooner!

Well the bumper chute worked great though we changed our floor plan so are no longer going out the back. It's a cool idea if you have reason to keep the doors open, but you must remove the chute if wanting to close doors as the top of barn doors are integral in keeping the chute open.

Accrete

Explorer
just a heads up to any who may be looking for a moderate lift for the Chevy AWD vans...

My wife and i have now installed the BoulderOffroadVans ~2" lift kit and we LOVE IT. We took it out for about a 30 mile jaunt on various surfaces and the ride is noticeably smoother and steadier which we really didn't expect. The lift turned out to be a measure +2.5" and i will post some pictures next week after the wheel wells/rockers are Rhino lined. The look is just what we wanted, just that extra lift really pops the van up enough so my wife (5'4") doesn't need a step to get in yet the van looks like it means off-road-business.

Cheers,
Thom

This is a PS on update from Post lift kit + Rhino Liner on wells/rockers/bumpers... We really like the look. In fact, when you look at the rig in person you sort of ask yourself why GM/Chevy doesn't just do the trim this way in the first place at least as an option (or local dealer option/suggestion) :

_TGL-AWD_11-2013.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven