2011 Super Duty Info...

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I wonder if this new oil burner will be any better than the last 2 they tried. Lets hope!:coffee:
Very true. Ford spent over $500 mil fixing the 6.0's,plus the cab's gotta come off to do anything intensive on the 6.0-6.4's. I wish Ford the best with this new engine. I'll keep my inline 6,no egr and manual tranny.

boellis87

Observer
I think the 4.5 liter Duramax was the first diesel from the big three to be developed with the valley-side exhaust and outside intake. What a shame that thing is shelved. Same torque and horsepower rating as a stock LB7 when they came out. Truly impressive engine. And it fits in the same space as a small-block, so it would have been awesome for a swap into my rig in a few years:(. Here's to hoping they bring it back!

Even though I'm not a huge Ford fan, bravo to them for developing this engine in house.

Bella PSD

Explorer
Originally Posted by zb39 View Post
I wonder if this new oil burner will be any better than the last 2 they tried. Lets hope!
Very true. Ford spent over $500 mil fixing the 6.0's,plus the cab's gotta come off to do anything intensive on the 6.0-6.4's. I wish Ford the best with this new engine. I'll keep my inline 6,no egr and manual tranny.

International had little to do with the 6.0/6.4 shortcomings. It was to many cooks in the kitchen kind of thing. Ford thought they could do it better and started getting on IH to do it their way. What you ended up with was a cluster, well at least some of the diesel that went into the Fords. The VT365 and Maxxforce in the IH trucks are really good.

Lets just hope Ford going at it by themselves can get it right....

I can not remember if I posted this yet but the 6 speed is NOT avalible except in the XL base model. This, to me, spells the DEATH OF THE 6 SPEED!!
Louie

SunTzuNephew

Explorer
International had little to do with the 6.0/6.4 shortcomings. It was to many cooks in the kitchen kind of thing. Ford thought they could do it better and started getting on IH to do it their way. What you ended up with was a cluster, well at least some of the diesel that went into the Fords. The VT365 and Maxxforce in the IH trucks are really good.

I can not remember if I posted this yet but the 6 speed is NOT avalible except in the XL base model. This, to me, spells the DEATH OF THE 6 SPEED!!
Louie

The only trans available on all models with all engines (according to the 2011 SD Ordering Guide) is the 6 speed auto....no manual at all, on any model.

Zatara

Adventurer

Louie
So what you're saying is ford screwed up International's engines and now the same people who did that are making their own engine without the help of the people who made the good engines in the first place.
hmmmmmm, ok..........

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
The loss of the six speed manual will upset some people for sure. But honestly when you drive the manual and the automatic torqueshift side by side, I wouldn't care for the manual.
Plus I have heard that people have been having a hard time getting clutches to stand up to the abuse.

haven

Expedition Leader
Update from Pickuptrucks.com:

There's a bit of suspicion that Ford juiced the cargo capacity
numbers for the F350 DRW so they'd beat Chevy. There's
no accounting for this difference in rating:

2011 F350 single cab 2x4 DRW -- 6520 lbs
2011 F350 single cab 4x4 DRW -- 5230 lbs

Ford says the frame and springs stay the same on the 4x4,
and the GVWR rating of the two trucks is the same. The 4x4
drivetrain can't weigh 1290 lbs more than the 2x4!

Ford claims the 6520 lbs cargo capacity in only one configuration
of the F350: single cab, 2x4, dual rear wheels. All other
F350 configurations have cargo capacity numbers between
5200 and 5900 lbs.

For comparison, Chevy rates all their 3500 trucks above
6000 lbs with the exception of the Crew Cab 4x4, 5905 lbs.

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2010/02/behind-the-2011-ford-super-duty-payload-numbers.html

Now it seems silly to base the purchase decision of a new truck
solely on its ability to carry 500 more lbs than the competition.
But Ford dealers may have complained that they were at a
disadvantage to Chevy in this area. And we all know that
pickup owners like to play the "my dog is bigger than your dog"
game -- even if it's a lie!

Bella PSD

Explorer
The only trans available on all models with all engines (according to the 2011 SD Ordering Guide) is the 6 speed auto....no manual at all, on any model.

Click on the link and then click the tab on top for Power and Handling. You will see the 6 speed is only standard on the XL. The XLT and Lariat list the 6 speed as N/A.

http://www.fordvehicles.com/trucks/superduty/compare-models/?models=f350xl|f350lariat

I am sure its only a matter of time and the XL will be a slush box as well....

Bella PSD

Explorer
So what you're saying is ford screwed up International's engines and now the same people who did that are making their own engine without the help of the people who made the good engines in the first place.
hmmmmmm, ok..........

Yes, that's what I am saying. The good news may be that Ford can do it on their own. They just could not build one with IH (6.0L). It was like a very bad marriage towards the end. As companies on their own, the are fine. Together they seemed to battle it out,especially towards the end. And this caused a lot of the problems seen in the 6.0L.

Louie

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
I have been through a lot of this with the Fords and the Dodges etc. I am a big Cummins fan after rebuilding a couple and installing the 4 cylinders into Land Cruisers (I own www.4BTswaps.com after that engine). But I'm not sure why but there were several factors that lead me to the point I just couldn't buy a Dodge. I don't like the pressed sheet metal links and all of the Chryslerisms that remind me off all of my friends POS 1990's Jeep Grand Cherokees that are rusting away and falling to pieces, ride like ***, and clunk around... (but are still running I suppose). I never really liked the fords but ultimately when I was in the market I chose the Fords and love the truck. But I had to replace the head, head gasket, high pressure oil pump, all of the little bits around it, and 5 injectors (and counting). It does run and pull well though. But mileage has been worse than I would have liked...

It's a good question.. I think International / Navistar is a good engine but there is no way around that the design is way more complicated really for no good reason besides that Ford mostly wanted a V8 diesel or they were on the same page about that. The I6 is definitely a smarter design...

The diesel fluid really is bizarre too. For those of us in rural areas I really hope there is a decent delete option pretty soon...

Andre I agree with most of what you say above. However, I'm sure you're cognizant of the strictness of the 2010 emissions. I sincerely hope that delete kits become available.

The EPA has sadly but predictably followed the lead of CARB. My opinion of them is unprintable. Since Calif is a warm sunny place, photochemical smog caused by the interaction of NOx, HC and UV light is a problem there. Because of that climatic characteristic of one state we are stuck with draconian NOx emission limits but milder PM limits than the EU.
In diesels, efficient combustion is hot (more NOx) and burns all the fuel (less PM). Due to the EU limits (in particular the ratio of NOx/PM) engines can be tuned to run very efficiently. The high NOx conc. in the exhaust first goes to an "oxi-cat" which uses NOx to burn the small amount of PM produced by highly efficient combustion; in the presence of high NOx this can take place at as little as 250C.
Then the remaining NOx is reduced in the presence of NH3 (ammonia) produced by catalytic decomposition of urea, to N2 and H2O.
Best possible mileage, very low soot to mess up the lube oil and cause wear. No fuel wasting DPF "burnouts".
But because of California's "issues", we are stuck with inefficient cool combustion caused by retarded timing and EGR*, all in the name of lower NOx. Then we have to burn the PM at 600C. in the DPF because there's not enough NOx to do it at 250C. Wasting more fuel.
"That bizarre fluid" allows US homologated engines to "move back up the curve" towards more efficient higher NOx combustion. EGR rates for 2010 are actually lower than 2007 in engines with urea added. Timing may also be advanced. Detroit Diesel estimates 3-5% better economy for 2010 engines than 2007 engines.
So it's not all bad.

Charlie

* My mileage went up 8% by blocking off the EGR; it's just a 2004 engine, with significantly lower EGR rate than a 2007 engine!

Last edited:

Bella PSD

Explorer
I have been through a lot of this with the Fords and the Dodges etc. I am a big Cummins fan after rebuilding a couple and installing the 4 cylinders into Land Cruisers (I own www.4BTswaps.com after that engine). But I'm not sure why but there were several factors that lead me to the point I just couldn't buy a Dodge. I don't like the pressed sheet metal links and all of the Chryslerisms that remind me off all of my friends POS 1990's Jeep Grand Cherokees that are rusting away and falling to pieces, ride like ***, and clunk around... (but are still running I suppose).

The diesel fluid really is bizarre too. For those of us in rural areas I really hope there is a decent delete option pretty soon...

I know what you are saying. I have had my share of Chrysler's as well. From Jeeps to trucks to the K cars. That K car was a real piece! Anyway, I just cannot see going to another Dodge truck after past experiences with the "Chryslerisms"....I like that word!

I think International / Navistar is a good engine but there is no way around that the design is way more complicated really for no good reason besides that Ford mostly wanted a V8 diesel or they were on the same page about that. The I6 is definitely a smarter design...

The IH V8 diesel, overly complicated, no doubt. But Ford had no say in the first, and the beginnings of the Powerstroke, 6.9L IH diesel V8 design. International built a V8 diesel for its outstanding torque response throughout the torque curve. The 6.9L diesel was built to be an all around diesel for deliveries in town, for school busses and garbage trucks. Later this same V8 medium duty engine was increased to 7.3L and soon after used in the Ford trucks. Ford just took what IH had, similar to Dodge just taking what Cummins had at the time for their truck. The big difference between the T444E and the Cummins was the IH 444 was built for the type of driving a Ford truck would more likely see and the Cummins was more build for an over the road type environment. This OTR I6 type engine was not as well suited for a pick up as the IH V8. This mostly gets lost in the endless I6 is better mantra that goes on.

wcdu

Observer
Clearly there is a wealth of knowledge on this list. I have been hearing about the "new" diesel engines with the additional tank containg a Urea fluid to reduce emissions. From another list I belong to, the talk was how to disable the need. Reminded me of the catylictic converter discussion when they first appeared.

Anyhow, what's the opinion of this list on this new process.

Thanks, Steve

SunTzuNephew

Explorer
Click on the link and then click the tab on top for Power and Handling. You will see the 6 speed is only standard on the XL. The XLT and Lariat list the 6 speed as N/A.

http://www.fordvehicles.com/trucks/superduty/compare-models/?models=f350xl|f350lariat

I am sure its only a matter of time and the XL will be a slush box as well....

No, I'm reading off the 2011 Ford SD Order Guide.... You can get a copy here
http://www.scribd.com/doc/27659779

No manual trans in any of them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad