2011 Super Duty Info...

UrbanCummin

Diesel Mechanic
Here is a little more info on the engine that is pretty neat.
http://green.autoblog.com/2009/08/3...l-ready-scorpion-2011-ford-super-duty-gets-a/

The thing I dislike is the sort of 70s-esque elongation and building of everything "bigger" and slightly more obnoxious like the grill, etc. I wonder if someone showed an original designer of the Super Duty what its become, what they would think...

It is interesting (and probably welcome) that they are finally dumping Navistar. Sort of the end of an era. You definitely have to "think" navistar to work on them and its interesting seeing the different rounds as they evolved to the 6.0 and 6.4. Such is life. The thing that is possibly questionable to me is the aluminum heads possibly sacrificing that huge rebuildable durability because even with all the small problems even the 6.0 is a 400K+ engine one the head bolts are replaced.

First off, NEVER buy the first year of a new anything, especially an engine, 03-04.25 6.0L anyone?. Wait a year so most of the bugs can be worked out. That being said with urea injection being used this allows of smaller EGR systems to be in place and should prove to increase reliability vs the massive EGR's being used on the 6.4L.

Aluminum heads should not be an issue, Dmax's are lasting long times with minimal issues. Plus the 6.7 scorpion uses more head bolts per cylinder.

I have done a lot of 6.0L engines swaps recenlty, milage on the trucks was anywhere from 96,000km to 210,000km. Each one had a hole in a piston or two. In fact when I think about it I can recall very, very few 6.0L I have seen with high km on them. I have seen a ton of cummins with very high mileage, a lot of 7.3's and a fair bit of dmax's.

So I disagree with the 6.0L being considered a 400,000+ engine.

CharlieV

Adventurer
So I disagree with the 6.0L being considered a 400,000+ engine.

I've got a friend, a horse carrier from NJ, with 450k on a 6.0, but that is an anomoly.

I was just talking to my mother who wants to trade her 04' 6.0 in on a DMax (company, work truck application), but is getting a way better offer from Ford on her trade. Now that I've found they have redesigned yet again, I will definitely steer her away from Ford. How many redesigns do they need inside a three year period?

UrbanCummin

Diesel Mechanic
I've got a friend, a horse carrier from NJ, with 450k on a 6.0, but that is an anomoly.

I was just talking to my mother who wants to trade her 04' 6.0 in on a DMax (company, work truck application), but is getting a way better offer from Ford on her trade. Now that I've found they have redesigned yet again, I will definitely steer her away from Ford. How many redesigns do they need inside a three year period?

Some do last, no doubt about it, but many don't.

All these new engines are starting to give me a head ache. So many engines/fuel systems to know. Ford pre 94 6.9/7.3L,7.3L, 6.0L, 6.4L, soon to be realeased 6.7L Fords. Dodge 89-93 12v 5.9L, 94-98 12v 5.9L, 98.5-02 24V 5.9L, 03-07 CR 5.9L, 07.5+ CR 6.7. Gm 6.2L, mechanical 6.5L, 94-01 electronic 6.5L, LB7, LLY, LBZ, LMM Dmax's. And throw in some VW's, cat, iveco, international, duetz, detriot and other engines. Good thing it's friday, I need some time off, :camping:

toddz69

Explorer
uhhghh color me jelous, if it was a lariat with that set up, ide hunt yah down :REOutArchery02:

I've got about the same thing - '01 Lariat with leather, 6 speed, white, crew cab, short bed, manual hubs, manual shift t-case. Not too many like it out there - when my buddy who ordered it that way wanted to sell it, I didn't have think twice!

Todd Z.

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
Jealous indeed. I was looking for a super cab shortbed 6 speed 7.3 but only found a couple, and in nearby states. I found a good deal on a longbed auto superduty and went with that. Honestly I've been pretty happy, but counting the time before the trans gives out. I talked to John Woods and sounds like I found the right re-builder when it finally craps out - very knowledgeable guy.

It is confusing. We follow a lot of this on my forum www.4BTswaps.com

Jealous indeed. I was looking for a super cab shortbed 6 speed 7.3 but only found a couple, and in nearby states. I found a good deal on a longbed auto superduty and went with that. Honestly I've been pretty happy, but counting the time before the trans gives out. I talked to John Woods and sounds like I found the right re-builder when it finally craps out - very knowledgeable guy.

It is confusing. We follow a lot of this on my forum www.4BTswaps.com

Why don't you replace the auto trans with a ZF Ecomid synchro 9 spd (9.48 - 0.75), and a divorced NP203/205? It can bolt up to a SAE#2; 190kg. ~25" without bellhousing.
Just an idea.

Charlie

ToaDisco

Some do last, no doubt about it, but many don't.

All these new engines are starting to give me a head ache. So many engines/fuel systems to know. Ford pre 94 6.9/7.3L,7.3L, 6.0L, 6.4L, soon to be realeased 6.7L Fords. Dodge 89-93 12v 5.9L, 94-98 12v 5.9L, 98.5-02 24V 5.9L, 03-07 CR 5.9L, 07.5+ CR 6.7. Gm 6.2L, mechanical 6.5L, 94-01 electronic 6.5L, LB7, LLY, LBZ, LMM Dmax's. And throw in some VW's, cat, iveco, international, duetz, detriot and other engines. Good thing it's friday, I need some time off, :camping:

Thank the EPA. I'm all for clean air, but I fail to see the correlation between cleaner tailpipe "emissions" VS. MPG's. Maybe were coming out ahead in the end, but at what price...? All I know is I won't ever own a "new" diesel engine out of the warranty period for my use. I can't justify the repair costs as a weekend warrior who tow's heavy once or twice a month.

As for the truck, I'm all for improvements, and think it the new auto should be good, as well as all the rest of the chassis improvements. I think Ford has really evened the gap between GM in the interior designs.

Hopefully Ford will have good luck with their new diesel

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
I actually have a fully rebuilt NV5600 sitting in the shop (but it has an application -- behind a Cummins) that would be a good option. I have been thinking heavily of repowering my Ford for a Cummins but honestly once you learn the quirks of the International its not that bad an engine. Good power, general reliability, etc. I have a lead on a very cheap parts truck with a good engine. I was thinking of pulling the engine, building it to be super solid with the HP oil equalizer between the heads, new injectors, good HPOP, etc, and then a John Woods or adequate transmission and I bet I can easily get another 200K miles out of it, and have a good time at it as well... It is odd that I don't mind the auto, I guess a sign of me finally growing up as I really vowed I'd never own an auto. Both of my cars right now are autos...

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Man, I dunno. If Navistar who is a diesel engine expert and has been building diesel engines for decades couldn’t get their V8 series diesel engine to run dependably I don’t know how successful Ford will be with cobbling together their own new in-house “Scorpion” diesel that was pushed through Ford’s engineering system at lightning speed. It will be interesting to see how well it works in the real world especially with the new requirements of the complicated 2010 diesel emissions. I suspect in due time all will realize the Navistar engine was a diamond in a goats *** in a Ford truck and that isn’t saying much because the latest two Navistar engines (6.0L and 6.4L) were less than sterling pieces themselves.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad