2011 Super Duty Info...

dzzz

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
Charlie you really are a good wealth of knowledge and have always been.. It's nice to see you around these parts from the old days of putting NP205 bits into a NP200 to get dual offset from Pirate4x4 back in 2001... :) Excellent info about the timing/retarding etc. It would be neat to see a rural and a city version of these where you could purchase your choice in your area, one that had the features you are mentioning and the 'delete.'

Bella PSD,
Excellent comments as well and I really hadn't thought of that as well (the old lineage of the old Navistars from the 6.9). One thing I do like about the big high breathing V8s is how much volume there is and how much room there is.. My EGTs have hardly ever gotten about 950 degrees and the curve really is pretty amazing where as it did take me some time to get used to the Cummins and 1800 RPMs being the sweet spot. My truck doesn't like being below 70 with the torque converter locked because it lugs as hair IIRC under 2500 rpms. So the IH 7.3 is a little more car like in these respects...

Mileage is about 14-16, I also have 240K miles on it FYI. The truck feels / drives like it has 150K miles as well (the best part). This is why I keep telling myself I'll be upset if it doesn't make it to 300K miles. It is the first time I've owned a truck where at this mileage it doesn't feel like a big deal at all. Last time I felt this way was with a FJ60 with 288K miles.. :)

So anyway my point is Ford is pretty smart about this, I am sure they really thought long and hard about this engine and after so many issues I'm sure they have planned it pretty well. It is one of the first times that I would feel comfortable were I in the market to buy it when if first came out. With my biggest criticisms being that Ford does so little for their customer to stand by their product when there are clearly issues, as these last 8 years have shown us when the '03 6.0s were exploding at 60K miles, etc..

I think it will be pretty good personally. Again those HP numbers are just unreal as well...

haven

Expedition Leader
Charlie Aarons wrote: ""That bizarre fluid" allows US homologated engines to "move back up the curve" towards more efficient higher NOx combustion. EGR rates for 2010 are actually lower than 2007 in engines with urea added."

Diesel emissions control really is in its infancy, like gas engine emissions control was in the 1970s. Adding DEF to the equation helps the process quite a bit. It may take years before a method emerges that provides decent power with very low emissions.

My feeling is that small displacement diesels will be replaced by gasoline engines of somewhat larger displacement that make similar power and torque. The gas engines are cheaper to make, and their emissions controls are better understood.

For example, Ricardo is showing a 3.2L V6 that uses Ethanol injection to control combustion. (Ethanol has a higher octane rating than gas does.) Running on 100% gas, the V6 produces 400 hp and 570 lb-ft of torque. Run on 85% ethanol, 15% gas, hp is 450 and torque goes up to 660. Not bad for an 3 liter engine!

http://www.ricardo.com/en-gb/Engine...-engines/Alternative-and-Flexible-Fuels/EBDI/

Nobody knows what the durability of the Ricardo engine is like (probably like a grenade with the pin pulled), but their work points the way forward.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad