2011 Super Duty Info...

SunTzuNephew

Explorer
Yep, they are so much better Dodge and GM's sales numbers are growing negatively?;)

Yeah - a year after a trazillion dollar bailout, both GMC and Dodge have sales that are down 45% or more.

Ford is down 5% for the same time period....

Thanks, but my next vehicle purchase will be a F350SD / PSD

Darwin

Explorer
I do not think sales is a good argument for how great an vehicle is.

I also heard somewhere that bearing manufactures and engineers who design these motors give the GM around 200K rating, ford 250k, and Dodge 300K.

It's not that I think the new ford is bad, but I do not think it is as reliable as the 5.9 cummins and even the 6.7, especially when compared to the ford 6.0.

You see plenty of cummins in a ford conversion but none the opposite way.

Just some observations.:coffee:

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Yeah - a year after a trazillion dollar bailout, both GMC and Dodge have sales that are down 45% or more.

Ford is down 5% for the same time period....

Thanks, but my next vehicle purchase will be a F350SD / PSD

Well, for Year to date…. Silverado sales are down 31.8% and GMC sales are down 40.6% while Ford is down 24.8%, not 5%. Dodge was down 27%. http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2009/10/september-2009-top-10-year-to-date-pickup-truck-sales.html

The Tundra and Titan are the ones that are really in the tank...-50.6 for the Tundra and -54.2 for the Titan....ouch!

Even with slowed sales the GM twins still outsold Ford again. GM sold 308,821 Silverado/Sierras to date while Ford has sold 295,426 F-series trucks. The problem with published sales figures is Chevrolet and GMC are separated while giving Ford the false bragging rights as the #1 selling truck. When Chevrolet and GMC’s sales numbers are added together, GM has outsold Ford many years but unfortunately, sales data doesn’t count it that way.

Regardless, figures lie and liars figure. As Darwin stated, sales figures don’t mean much anyway. I would personally rather push a GM or Dodge truck than own a Ford any day (although I must say I am not a fan of the latest GMT900 body style GM twins) while there are people that feel as strongly for Ford. Each to their own flavor...after all it is a free country. Well, it was...is it still? I am not sure anymore. :Wow1:

78Bronco

Explorer
Personally I like older vehicles better. When the new stuff breaks its a fawkin arm and a leg to fix.

Larry has a real nice 1978 K10:drool: I only wish my 78 bronco gets that far.

Rot Box

Explorer
I hope the Scorpion works out for Ford. The 6.0 days were (and still are) a nightmare for too many people.

I don't know why its taken so long for engine builders to put the manifolds in the valley--seems like a really good idea in every way to me. Either way I prefer the mechanical old school stuff. When I open the hood of my 92 I know what I'm looking at and if there is ever a problem it would be easy to figure out whats wrong. The average person just can't work on or trouble shoot these new trucks without expensive tools or deep pockets. Function over form for me :coffee:

dzzz

What does the cummins add price-wise to a dodge? I'm hoping Ford's new diesel isn't a $10K option.

At $6k I would buy a diesel, but $10K buys too much gas. Ford's bigger gas engine will soon be a V8. I assume they will not continue with the current V10.

haven

Expedition Leader
Mike Levine at Pickuptrucks.com reports that in 2011, Ford Superduty models with either gas or diesel engines will receive the new 6R140 TorqShift six-speed automatic gearbox. The new trans was developed by Ford in-house. Ford recommends that the trans fluid be changed every 150,000 miles, thanks to a more effective filter.

Read the article here
http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2009/1...-6r140-six-speed-heavy-duty-transmission.html

Am I the only one who feels uncomfortable with the idea of buying a truck with a brand new engine (the Scorpion diesel) AND a brand new transmission?

Bella PSD

Explorer
I also heard somewhere that bearing manufactures and engineers who design these motors give the GM around 200K rating, ford 250k, and Dodge 300K.

You see plenty of cummins in a ford conversion but none the opposite way.

Just some observations.:coffee:

There are many reasons why a Ford owner that blows out a PSD goes to a Cummins. Most do it because the Cummins is so much cheaper to build up for really high HP. This has nothing to do with one being better than the other when it comes to lasting longer. Especially when it comes to engine life for a 7.3L International OR a 5.9L Cummins. They are dead even at a B50 life for the 7.3L and the 5.9L. Both will have 50% (B50 life) of their engines go way, way over 250,000 miles. Not sure on the Isuzu/Duramax, but I would have to guess they are around the same B50 engine life.

Comparing the bearings in an 8 cylinder to a 6 cylinder sounds about like the same thing that has been going on for years when it comes to the rods in a PSD being smaller compared to the 5.9. Yes the rods are smaller BUT there are 2 more of them. At the end of the day both the Cummins and International have the same engine life.

I have a friend that’s putting a 7.3L into a KAISER JEEP M-715. Rare, yes, and not what I would do, but he’s doing it and not the Cummins.

Lets just hope the new Ford Diesel/tranny combo will have the same OR better engine life as reliable and proven 7.3L. And as long as Ford keeps the ZF 6 speed around, I'm happy. A manual transmission no longer is offered for the Chevy Silverado.....unreal?? No 6 speed with the Chrysler Powerwagon?? Unreal!

maXTERRA

Adventurer
My 96 7.2 PSD with only 120k will be around for a while yet.
Can't afford/ don't want these new engines.
Put in a new auto trans couple of years ago and need to proactively change injectors one of these days too.

haven

Expedition Leader
The Ford folks also revealed the cargo capacity ratings of the 2011
Super Duty pickup models:

F250, single rear wheels -- 4,050 lbs
F350, single rear wheels -- 4,500 lbs
F450, dual rear wheels -- 4,920 lbs
F350, dual rear wheels -- 6,250 lbs

No figures for the F550 cab/chassis were released.

These figures are for trucks with the 6.2L gas V8. The diesel is
heavier, so the carrying capacity is likely to be lower.

Dizzlenator

All of the new technology, and new Ford built engine (vice International, if I recall correctly) is really cool. However, has anyone else seen the pics of the rear fenders on the new dually?? ****** was Ford thinking there?? I think they're hideous, but I guess they saw something in it. Just wondering what everyone else thinks of them...

chet

island Explorer
the new ford diesel is all ford no international involved. Lots of power but 10mpg to go with it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad