2013 Toyota 4Runner, Equipt Edition Build

Jus4fun

Hi Paul,
I have been following your build closely and have come fairly close in my own 2013 4runner build up. I have added OME, BFG AT 275 70 R717s, and Budbuilt bumpout sidebars w/ full diamond plate tread. I am awaiting your next K9 rack container to arrive to add the roof rack for my Eezi-Awn 1600. Next project is to take out the rear slider and install drawers w/ my Nat Luna on a slide on passenger side.
I look forward to your next additions.

Thanks,
George Plater
photo (3).jpgphoto (4).jpgphoto (5).jpgphoto.jpg

ives

I need to get my 80 sold so I can start building up my 4Runner. I will be watching this thread closely.

Jus4fun

George,

Are you noticing any rubbing with your OME lift and the 275/70-17 BFG AT's ?

Yes, I had a little rubbing at end ranges in both directions and both tires. I took a hint from Paul and used my heat gun to re-mold the liners for more clearance. Time will tell if that is enough clearance for offroad and angular positions. I wanted to avoid any cutting or drilling if possible. Thx

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
Paul,
Very much looking forward to this build as a current 100 Series owner. Must admit that we test drove a 4Runner in December 2012 while visiting family in Canada. Very nice vehicle and was thinking it would be a suitable option if we return to Canada.
Cheers,
P

ives

That is disappointing to hear. I was hoping I could go a little bigger than stock without rubbing. Looks like I might stick with stock size tires.

Equipt

Supporting Sponsor Presenting Sponsor of Overland
Hello Everyone,

Sorry for falling off the planet there for a while. Eye on another ball for a couple weeks. I had a chance to put some miles on the 4Runner. I drove from Prescott to Salt Lake City and back, so roughly 1200 miles round trip. That is what the odometer read. I did the math on fill ups and miles and it came out to 16.8 MPG with the lift/bigger tires/rack/awning in place. But here is something to consider. The difference in tire size means that the odometer is reading fewer rotations in that mileage calculation. A quick math lessen.

265-70R17 measures 31.6" in diameter
285-70R17 measures 32.7" in diameter

Multiply diameter by Pi for circumference, and you get 99.29" and 102.73" respectively. That comes out to roughly a 3.5% increase in circumference. That means my mileage for the trip was off by 3.5%. That means my actually MPG raises 3.5% to 17.4 MPG. Not bad at all.

I went with the heavy duty suspension, so currently the truck rides pretty stiff. That is because I calculated hauling a lot more weight in the truck than I currently have. I will be adding protection, RTT, fridge, etc soon. So I expect the ride to smooth out quite a bit.

There is some rub with the 285s and spacers on there. I did a little heat gun coaxing on the front liners instead of the moving the mountings, and that seems to have done just fine and didn't mess up the look at all. I also had the truck re-aligned while in SLC increasing caster as much as we could, and that too did a lot to reduce the rubbing on the back. But there still is some in tight turns. I need to look at it more closely to see what I really need to do here.

More on the build soon.

Equipt

National Luna Dual Battery System

National Luna Dual Battery System

Battery Tray

Our next step in the truck build is the installation of a dual battery system. National Luna is our choice. It is very simple to install, is automated, and provides monitoring and contact control inside the cab of our 4Runner. The trick of the install was the mounting of the second battery. In the 2013 model, there is a large space behind the air intake on the passenger side. There were a couple wiring harness items that we could easily move aside, leaving us plenty of room for a battery. The main obstacle was that this area had the slope of the rear of the wheel well, and a couple OEM threaded studs to contend with. We used the mounting locations to our advantage by fabricating a bracket to mount to these. We added a spacer block under the interior end of the bracket to help support the weight of the battery. Here are a couple photos.

Battery Tray Mount 1.JPGBattery Tray Mount 2.JPG

Next we mounted a battery tray to the bracket. It is a Group 31 sized tray, though we didn't install that big a battery. More on that in a minute. Here is the tray in place, and the battery.

Battery Tray.JPGBattery in Tray.JPG

Battery Choice

There are plenty of batteries to choose from out there. The goal with a secondary battery is to store as large an amp hour rating as you can in the space you have. The higher the amp hour rating, the longer your system can go without requiring a charge. Another factor to consider is charge rate, or how long it takes a battery to recoup their discharge. And then, of course, is price. Always a factor. We chose to use the Sears Die Hard Platimum Series battery in a Group 65 size. The Platinum series is made for Sears by Odyssey, so we know it is made well. It is warrantied by Sears, so available most anywhere if there is an issue. It carries a very high amp hour rating for it's size, and recharges quickly. Perfect for our use. We chose the Group 65 size because it offered 75 amp hours for a little bit larger frame than the Group 34. 50% more capacity, actually. And it fit in our location very well. The Group 31 would have fit, but I was quite concerned with the weight of that size battery. It was considerably more than the Group 65. I think we struck the right balance between size/capacity/weight.

National Luna Intelligent Solenoid

We mounted the National Luna Intelligent Solenoid (IS) to a steel bracket we fabricated, then mounted the bracket in a nice clear location on the driver's side fender wall using a couple existing threaded holes. We wired the IS according the National Luna's recommendations, connecting positives first, negatives second, and the 12 gauge control wire last. Connecting the control wire got us the requisite single flash from the IS circuit board light, and we knew we were good to go. Next to the IS, we installed a 6 circuit Blue Sea fuse block. It too was mounted to a steel bracket and then mounted to the driver's side fender well. The fuse block how allows us to properly manage the secondary battery by circuiting each draw individually. Our first circuit - Fridge outlet. More on that soon.

NL Intelligent Solenoid and Fuse Block.JPGNL Dual Battery Controller.JPG

National Luna Dual Battery Controller

The final piece of the puzzle is to attach the National Luna Dual Battery Controller (DBC). We ran the control cable through the firewall, and routed it through the center console. A small hole was created to access the center console, and the DBC was connected. The vast majority of the time, I don't watch the battery charging. It is automated and out of mind. So storing this monitor in the center console makes sense to me. If you want to see the battery levels more often, there is nothing wrong with mounting the controller to your dash in some fashion.

The Intelligent Solenoid is the brains to the whole system. It monitors the charge level in each battery as well as the available current going through the system. Once it senses more than 13.1V, it activates a 5 minute timer leaving the main battery as the only battery charging for the first 5 minutes the vehicle is running. This is to recoup the charge in the main battery from the discharge of starting the vehicle. One that 5 minutes in up, the IS closes the contact in the attached solenoid putting the main and secondary batteries in parallel and the vehicle charges both batteries. Once the IS senses the voltage between the 2 batteries is below 12.7V, it opens the solenoid contact, isolating the batteries again. Sensing lower than 12.7V can happen either when the truck is turned off, or after the combined voltage of the two batteries reduces to lower than 12.7V. Sometimes with new batteries they keep a charge higher than 12.7V for a while. But once use of either battery draws them down, they isolate. Once isolated, you can draw on the secondary battery without worry of draining your main starting battery. This is a very nice set up when running a myriad of extra electrical products, namely fridges, lights, electronic chargers, etc.

The Dual Battery Controller (DBC) is connected to the IS and monitors the battery levels for you. It displays this on the face, in both voltage and percentage scales. You also have the manual control of the solenoid connection. This is very important. It allows you the ability to connect the batteries together for winching when the vehicle is off, or jump starting your own vehicle when the main battery is low. There are high and low voltage alarms as well.

All in all, I am very happy with the install. The battery is secure, the wiring is clean, the locations for mounting required no drilling at all, and we now have a live circuit management center under the hood. All monitoring is available from the cab. It is a tried and true system.

Cheers,

Lecoq

Explorer
Love the system. I've been researching the National Luna stuff for a while. Would this system bolt into a 4th gen 4Runner the same way?

CMiller

Adventurer
Love the system. I've been researching the National Luna stuff for a while. Would this system bolt into a 4th gen 4Runner the same way?

Yes it works in the 4th gen just fine. I have the same system in my 2008 4Runner. The spot for the aux battery is in the same spot for both vehicles, I even ran the control display to the same spot in the center console cubby. It is plug and play and can be installed cleanly in about 3 hours or so depending on how anal you are with routing of wires etc...

Equipt

Thanks for the help on the answer for the 4th Gen. I haven't had an opportunity to look under the hood on one yet. The location of the second battery is always the hitch here. The NL Dual Battery Kit comes with the IS, the DBC, 20' of each red and black cable, and more than enough hardware to install. But it doesn't provide the tray or battery. Here's the link to more on the kit.

http://www.equipt1.com/companies/Battery Systems/category-nl/120449-battery-systems

Cheers,

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
Enjoying the build so far Paul...that NL battery system really looks good.

One question...does the rack system offer a spot for the slide in table like the Frontrunner rack?

Thanks!

Pat

Equipt

EQUIPT plate

The 100 Series had the EQUIPT plate from Utah. So I thought it was fitting we got the EQUIPT plate from Arizona for the new truck. Honestly, I was amazed it was available. My lab Dezi needed a little representation too.

Equipt AZ Plate.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nepaltourism