2013 Toyota 4Runner, Equipt Edition Build

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
Amazing build.
I need a battery set up like that. The one-off mount is great.

Can those racks be mounted to Yakima tracks? I would love one small enough to fit at the back of my FWC and have the table too. Very nice stuff.

Equipt

Supporting Sponsor Presenting Sponsor of Overland
Thanks for the kind words. Yes, I do leave it on the vehicle full time. I had this model on my 100 Series for years without any signs of wear at all. Mounting to a set of Yakima bars would be a bit tricky, as there is not much to attach to on the end of the bar. The awning requires a flat vertical surface to attach to, and the goal is to have the attachment points as close to the ends of the awning as possible for stability. I believe that Rhino Rack makes a mount designed for the purpose, but I don't know much about whether it would cross fit to Yakima.

Cheers,

Equipt

Amazing build.
I need a battery set up like that. The one-off mount is great.

Can those racks be mounted to Yakima tracks? I would love one small enough to fit at the back of my FWC and have the table too. Very nice stuff.

Thanks. The mounting rail for the K9 Roof Rack is proprietary to this system, so unfortunately the feet would not mount in the Yakima track. But there are a couple options possible here. We have small platforms available, starting at 50"W x 55"L. And you could replace the Yakima track with the K9 rail using the same mounting holes. Or you could mount the platform to your Yakima load bars with a set of Yakima Universal Snar mounts. The drawback to this would be that the Yakima cross bars would conflict with the mounting of the table mount. The table mount mounts to the bottom of the rack and with the cross bars mounted there already the table mounts wouldn't fit. The other interesting detail is that you could mount the Yakima cross bars to the top of the platform using the Yakima feet that fit in the Yakima track. That is because the slots in the K9 platform run front to back like the track. Then you would have the ability to attach all your Yakima equipment to the Yakima bars above the platform when you needed to. So there is no need to scrap your entire existing system. Hope that makes sense.

Cheers,

Blackwater

Im getting old! :(
Hey Paul,

On the camp table mount does the table stow right side up also? Or would the legs unfold as you bump down the road? I see yours is stowed upside down.

I have the eezi awn rack setup on my 100 series and have been waiting for these accessories from you guys.

The upside down logo would be a little disappointing considering the price though not the end of the world. Also if only mounted upside down it seems as though rain/water would be caught up in the underside of the table awfully easily.

Any insight? Thanks Paul

Last edited:

Blackwater

BTW, its been a month or so since ive stumbled into your build thread.

Awesome work, keep up the great progress!! :beer:

Equipt

Thanks for the comments.

Yes, the table does store upside down only. The table mount is curved to accept the rounded edge of the table in that direction. The reasoning for this position is to keep the legs from becoming an issue with your roof. There is the possibility of rain or snow gathering in the table bottom, but it would not stay for long. The corners of the table are riveted into place, and any water that would stand in the table bottom can clear itself through the corners. I have had the table in several rain storms during the monsoon season in Arizona this year and haven't seen any concern at all.

The logo is a catch 22. Set up the table and the logo is correct. Store the table and the logo is upside down. So the best answer is to store the table with the logo facing forward. Hence no visible label. It is riveted on, so if you chose to invert it you could.

Side note: I am traveling in South Africa, Botswanna and Namibia until early August. I will be adding more to the truck build when I get back, so stay tuned.

Cheers,

Blackwater

Paul I sure appreciate the quick reply!!

Regardless I still plan on ordering the table and mount.. I just cant decide between the medium and large.. I will be in touch

Safe Travels in South Africa.. Let me be the first to say we expect pictures!! :D

stioc

Expedition Leader
Paul, now that you've done some upgrades and have spent some time using the truck how would you compare it to the LC-100? Do you find the room inside adequate compared to the LC? How about the power, comfort, capability?

TravelTacoma

Observer
Paul,
Any issues with gearing after the tire upgrade? I have a Chaser and was wondering if you had any problems towing without swapping gears? My JK is a pig when I'm towing the trailer so I'm looking to upgrade. Thanks for your reply and safe travels in Africa.

Equipt

South African Adventure

Well, made it back in one piece. I had a chance to tag along with the Expeditions 7 crew on their African leg of the 7 continent exploration. We launched in Johannesburg South Africa, visited the Okavango Delta in Botswanna, Sossusvlei Dunes and the lower Skeleton Coast of Namibia. After the E7 trek, a couple of us went on another adventure to Madikwe and Kruger National Parks in South Africa. The latter trip was guided by Jess Stuhler of Eezi-Awn. An incredible time. Here are a couple shots.

P1000759.JPGP1010031.JPGP1010477.JPG

Dune crossing on the Skeleton Coast, sundowners on the guide vehicle at Thakadu River Camp, 70 Series Eezi-Awn trucks.

It was a lifetime type of trip. I feel pretty fortunate to be able to experience adventures like this.

Cheers,

Equipt

Here are a few of the animals we saw along the way.

P1000229.JPGP1010145.JPGP1010326.JPG

Elephants, wild dog, cape buffalo, rhinos, cats, giraffe, warthog, croc, hippo, and the list goes on. It was amazing to experience these magnificent beings on their turf.

Cheers,

Equipt

Paul, now that you've done some upgrades and have spent some time using the truck how would you compare it to the LC-100? Do you find the room inside adequate compared to the LC? How about the power, comfort, capability?

It has been a bit of a transition to get used to, changing from the 100 to the 4Runner. The 100 Series was pretty much a leather lined tank. Everything about it was over built, and I had an incredible amount of gear bolted onto it. 275K miles and very few issues at all. I have had the 4Runner for just shy of 6 month now, and I love it too. It is a slight bit smaller. More the size of an 80 Series. Everything about it is a bit lighter too. Body panels, interior, etc. It's 850 lbs lighter in stock form, so the weight came from somewhere. The size hasn't affected me at all. I am 6'4" and 240 lbs, and I fit inside just as well as the 100. The 4Runner handles better on and off road. It's tighter and more agile. Power is not an issue, even with the tire upsize. And it pulls the Chaser without a problem at all. Steep ascents slow it a bit, but so did the 100. The 4Runner has a more sports car feel to it than the 100 did. Now I don't know if this would be true if I add another 1,000 lbs of gear on it. We took a quick trip up into southern Utah in it, full rack/rtt/full rear/chaser in tow, around 300 miles of dirt road. It handled it all as well or better than the 100 would have, and I got 15 mpg. The 100 would get 10 on a good day. All in all, I am very happy with the truck. I think it was a good choice to move from the 100 to the 5th Gen 4Runner. We have a lot of things to do on it to get it where I want, so time will tell. But so far I am very pleased.

Equipt

Paul,
Any issues with gearing after the tire upgrade? I have a Chaser and was wondering if you had any problems towing without swapping gears? My JK is a pig when I'm towing the trailer so I'm looking to upgrade. Thanks for your reply and safe travels in Africa.

I increased the tire size about 1-1/2"or so over stock, and a 3" OME. I went from light duty Michelins to BFG All Terrains. Honestly, I saw no difference in power and the ride improved. I have no scientific data, just seat of my pants feel. I simply haven't felt any change in the power band. I am sure there is, somewhere. Increasing the size and weight of the tire will do that, but I can't feel it. I don't have any plan to re-gear right now. Toyota spent a lot of time engineering the drivetrain to where it is, so that is good enough for me. The 4Runner tows my Chaser trailer as well or better than the 100 did. Keep in mind the 4Runner is much much lighter in current form, so that isn't a fair fight. But it has 35 more hp than the 100 did, and close to the same torque. I am seeing a 50% increase in fuel economy too. I would highly recommend test driving one for yourself.

Cheers,

stioc

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the info on the Hundy vs. the 5th gen. I think the 5th gen 4Runner is just about the perfect size both inside and out with all the right offroad capability to boot.

Great pics from S. Africa btw, what a great place to visit for a vehicle based expedition trip.

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
Paul,
Great to hear you are enjoying the move to the new 4Runner. I'm green with envy when I see your E7 posts and the trip you were able to experience. The E7 crew are doing some amazing journeys. Looking forward for the future work on the new vehicle.
Cheers,
Pierre

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77