2013 Toyota 4Runner, Equipt Edition Build

Honu

lost on the mainland
same idea I want to do with our SP stuff get it under a shelf setup so easy to pull out etc.. looks great !

Jus4fun

Thanks for the Birthday wishes and all the cool stuff from Equipt Expedition Outfitters I have to get installed. I was going to make some aluminum spacers also. I built up the front mid section w/ screwed and glued Baltic birch under the same 3/4" floor. I didn't want to worry about the fridge and drawer weight.

All awaiting install. Not enough weekends!photo (6).jpg

Jus4fun

Holy smokes George! You better get busy.

I know!! I am in the middle of finishing the back w/ drawers and fridge slide. Then, the Shrockworks front bumper shows up(ordered back in early March). Any opinions on the Viking winch vs. Warn?

Equipt

Supporting Sponsor Presenting Sponsor of Overland
I really don't think you could go wrong either way on the winch choice. Both are great products. I have used Warn winches for decades now. The 8274 on my FJ40 is going on 30+ years of use, and the M12000 I had on my 100 saw a lot of use without an issue. I only use Viking lines and recovery gear now. Thor makes a hell of a good product, and nothing less. So I am sure the winch he offers is top notch. I guess it would come down to your person preference. A lot of help I am, huh?

Cheers,

Equipt

Tie Down Rail / Water Solution

Tie Down Rail / Water Solution

Tie Down Rail.

Loose gear in your vehicle quickly becomes a weapon out to hurt you when things go bad. An accident, a quick turn or stop, a roll over, etc. Unintended, and unexpected actions can make your tool box and tent poles lethal. You should always have a means of securing your gear. So for my 4Runner I installed slotted rail along both side of the IGT shelf. It has infinite adjustment for the spring release rings installed. Just right for the rear deck.

Slot Rail 1.JPGSlot Rail 2.JPG

Water Solution

Integrating a proper water solution in your vehicle is always a trick. Water is heavy and takes up a great deal of space. I have always found it to be a bit of a pain in the neck too, always having to lug it in and out of the vehicle. And it takes up valuable space on your table in camp as well. A necessity of overlanding, and so we labor for a solution. Much like the eternal search for the best camp chair. That is for another day.

So with these thoughts in mind, I set about creating a solution for the 4Runner. What I came up with was a fabricated bracket that mounts over my tie down rail, and holds a 4 gallon flat pak water container vertically. It allows me to leave the water in the truck, and access it from a custom spout. And it has the added feature of being a storage barrier, keeping gear from falling behind my fridge when I pull it out. I drew up my design and with the help of the local metal supply and Carlo at AT, I created the container storage bracket. It is fastened to the tie down rail with 4 adjustable studs with tightening rings.

Water Base 2.JPGWater Base Installed 1.JPG

The flat pak water container is something I have had for a while. I sourced it some time ago from Expedition One. The container came with a traditional pour spout and a small plastic cap. This wouldn't work, so with a little Ace Hardware adventure I was able to "invent" a spout solution. The container is secured to the bracket with a couple hard mounted bolts, fender washers and wing nuts.

Water Base Installed 2.JPGWater Spout 2.JPG

The end result turned out great! It fills an area previously unused as the space was needed as a buffer from gear against or falling behind the fridge. Removal for filling is easy, and access is very nice. When loaded with water, it does tend to wabble a bit. Though with gear stowed tightly against it, it doesn't move much at all. We will see how it holds up over time, or until I find the next great solution.

Cheers,

Attachments

• Water Solution 1.JPG
    Water Solution 1.JPG
    105.5 KB · Views: 171
  • Water Solution 2.JPG
    Water Solution 2.JPG
    126.2 KB · Views: 163
  • Water Solution 3.JPG
    Water Solution 3.JPG
    91 KB · Views: 162
Last edited:

Jus4fun

I really don't think you could go wrong either way on the winch choice. Both are great products. I have used Warn winches for decades now. The 8274 on my FJ40 is going on 30+ years of use, and the M12000 I had on my 100 saw a lot of use without an issue. I only use Viking lines and recovery gear now. Thor makes a hell of a good product, and nothing less. So I am sure the winch he offers is top notch. I guess it would come down to your person preference. A lot of help I am, huh?

Cheers,

Thanks Paul! Yes, I had an 8274 on my FJ45, and it never failed me. I know Warn pretty well and trust them but am always one to try new innovative products, as you now know. I may try the Viking GS-9, both lighter and lower amp draw than similar Warn. And as always, you were a help!

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
Really enjoying this build. It's clean and well though out.

My only suggestion would be to keep a close eye on the mounting of that water can. I've got a few good stories of what constant corrugations will do to bits bolted to the vehicle. Our trip up to Cape York QLD Australia in July 2012 highlighted a few such design and storage flaws. Would need a cozy camp fire and few drinks to properly discuss and analyse. :sombrero:

Cheers,
Pierre

Equipt

Thanks for the comments guys. The container holds 4 gallons. I personally think this is plenty for a weekend away. The general rule of thumb is 1 gallon per person per day. I am pretty sure there are lots of refreshment/hydration solutions in my fridge to compliment this water supply. The water is more for cooking/cleaning and an occasional water bottle fill up.

Cheers,

Equipt

Really enjoying this build. It's clean and well though out.

My only suggestion would be to keep a close eye on the mounting of that water can. I've got a few good stories of what constant corrugations will do to bits bolted to the vehicle. Our trip up to Cape York QLD Australia in July 2012 highlighted a few such design and storage flaws. Would need a cozy camp fire and few drinks to properly discuss and analyse. :sombrero:

Cheers,
Pierre

Thanks Pierre, and that is a very good point. Baja and Central America taught me a great deal about that too, but I understand Oz is a whole new level on vibration. I like to take a couple spanners on a walk around the vehicle every couple months just to check everything. It's about a 1 beer job.

Cheers,

4Rocker

Observer
Very nice build so far. Do you have any more details on the water spigot? I have been searching for a good solution for the Exp 1 containers for quite some time.

Equipt

Spout

The spout I built for the Exp 1 container worked out pretty well. I took the spout that came with the container and cut off the top end of it, creating a gasket. I sourced a 1-1/2" nylon washer and increased the interior hole to 5/8". The spout itself is a 3/8"ID / 5/8"OD straight valve, threaded on one side and quick disconnect on the other. A 5/8" rubber gasket and wide 5/8" brass nut tie the pieces to together. The valve doesn't fit through the black cap, so the parts go together in this order on the threaded side of the valve. Black container cap, nylon washer, rubber washer, brass nut, spout gasket. Tighten the brass nut, then attach cap to container. Align spout vertically and tighten. Voila!

Spout 1.JPGSpout 2.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77