2015 Rubicon Hard Rock Build "Mjolnir"

toxicity_27

Adventurer
Well got the lift installed today. Still a couple things that I need to button up. I straightened the steering wheel a couple of different times and as soon as I started driving it wasn't straight, so I need to get that done. Also I have a suspicion that the front lower trackbar bolt isn't tight enough, got a couple clunks coming into the driveway at the apartment. I also need to find some longer rear sway bar links. I'll get some pictures posted up later of everything, I don't have one straight on from the side yet, so that'll come later.

toxicity_27

Adventurer
Well I said I was going to post some pictures of the install so here they are. In total it took about 9 hours start to finish to install the lift, front and rear trackbars, exhaust spacers and wheel spacers. Not too bad if you ask me.

My nephews and my girlfriend were helpers getting us wrenches and sockets as we needed them. My brother and I did most of the install, and a buddy of mine came over just in time to start the rear.

I gained about 3.5-4" up front and about 2.5 in the rear. It sits surprisingly level though.

Comparing stock to Rock Krawler.

Got the wheels off, and ready to start taking it apart.

I have no idea what exactly I'm taking apart here, but it's more tear down.

All removed.

Gotta love rust on a 3 week old vehicle.

New springs in.

New springs and shocks in.

Front done.

Rear all taken apart and ready to go.

Springs and shocks in.

Rear done.

View from the rear.

Still don't have a side shot. Hopefully get one soon.

azxr

Well I said I was going to post some pictures of the install so here they are. In total it took about 9 hours start to finish to install the lift, front and rear trackbars, exhaust spacers and wheel spacers. Not too bad if you ask me.

My nephews and my girlfriend were helpers getting us wrenches and sockets as we needed them. My brother and I did most of the install, and a buddy of mine came over just in time to start the rear.

I gained about 3.5-4" up front and about 2.5 in the rear. It sits surprisingly level though

Looking good. I sold my 2009 JKUR and think my next one will be a 2016 Hard Rock, perhaps a 75th anniversary model.

Curious what you think of the ride of the stock mod kit. I had a 2.5 X factor with 5100 Bilsteins on mine and thought it rode kind of harsh. However I had first generation control arms and second generation springs. Your springs should be the third generation. I didn't see anything mentioned for caster correction. Are you going to get a set of lower front controll arms or geo correction brackets?

If the RK springs are better I may go with the stock mod or possibly the AEV 2.5.

I also had the Shrockworks rock rail and will probably do those again; incredibly well built.

toxicity_27

Adventurer
Looking good. I sold my 2009 JKUR and think my next one will be a 2016 Hard Rock, perhaps a 75th anniversary model.

Curious what you think of the ride of the stock mod kit. I had a 2.5 X factor with 5100 Bilsteins on mine and thought it rode kind of harsh. However I had first generation control arms and second generation springs. Your springs should be the third generation. I didn't see anything mentioned for caster correction. Are you going to get a set of lower front controll arms or geo correction brackets?

If the RK springs are better I may go with the stock mod or possibly the AEV 2.5.

I also had the Shrockworks rock rail and will probably do those again; incredibly well built.

It's stiffer than the stock ride, but I still need to get everything completely dialed in too. I plan to do all 8 arms down the road. I'm going to ride like this for a little while and see if I want to run brackets until I can drop the coin on the arms or not.

onebuilder

Observer

The 5100s give a harsh ride. I have them on my '13 JKR with AEV 3.5

anviljk

Adventurer
Just curious, as to someone who just bought his JKUR and has a tad bit over 4,000 miles on it...what is your game plan if they deny warranty due to the lift? I know several lift friendly dealer, even the service manager at the local dealer wheels, but theres always that "if" in the back of my head that it gets flagged. I installed the evo skids, flipped the steering stabilizer, and evo 1.5" leveling kit but worried that if go higher or make it more noticeable it will void the warranty. My fear is that the trans goes out or something and they blame it on the lift. I work in service and see this happen all the time (Cummins is big on this).

toxicity_27

Adventurer
Just curious, as to someone who just bought his JKUR and has a tad bit over 4,000 miles on it...what is your game plan if they deny warranty due to the lift? I know several lift friendly dealer, even the service manager at the local dealer wheels, but theres always that "if" in the back of my head that it gets flagged. I installed the evo skids, flipped the steering stabilizer, and evo 1.5" leveling kit but worried that if go higher or make it more noticeable it will void the warranty. My fear is that the trans goes out or something and they blame it on the lift. I work in service and see this happen all the time (Cummins is big on this).

They would need to prove that it caused that issue. I was told that they'll cover mopar parts but nothing else and I was good to go. It also helps that my sister is a lawyer so if need be I've got that in my pocket too. I also worked with the sales manager before at a different dealership so I know that will help as well.

anviljk

Adventurer
They would need to prove that it caused that issue. I was told that they'll cover mopar parts but nothing else and I was good to go. It also helps that my sister is a lawyer so if need be I've got that in my pocket too. I also worked with the sales manager before at a different dealership so I know that will help as well.

Yea I was told the same thing and they would have to install it. I'm a service advisor at a dealer and I know how warranty works, it would be very easy to say "internals of the transmission broke due to stress caused by larger tires, we can prove this by stress marks on the main shaft" even if it wasn't the main cause (say it was due to improperly hardened materials), they would blame the tires. Or say steering box broke, it would be "improper geometry from the aftermarket lift kit causing strain". Maybe i'm paranoid but if it would be lifted I can easily see them pointing to that as the cause of failure.

toxicity_27

Adventurer
That looks great. Me and a buddy will be installing my OME springs in my JKU on Saturday. I'm guessing you used a spring compressor to get your springs off? If so, what kind?

I don't believe I used any taking the stock ones out and only needed to use them putting the new ones in since I also added bumpstops. I used some my brother had from harbor freight.

Yea I was told the same thing and they would have to install it. I'm a service advisor at a dealer and I know how warranty works, it would be very easy to say "internals of the transmission broke due to stress caused by larger tires, we can prove this by stress marks on the main shaft" even if it wasn't the main cause (say it was due to improperly hardened materials), they would blame the tires. Or say steering box broke, it would be "improper geometry from the aftermarket lift kit causing strain". Maybe i'm paranoid but if it would be lifted I can easily see them pointing to that as the cause of failure.

I guess in my mind most Jeep dealers kind of expect it. Talk to some of the Jeep guys where you're at and see where they suggest to go.

JKU87

Adventurer
I don't believe I used any taking the stock ones out and only needed to use them putting the new ones in since I also added bumpstops. I used some my brother had from harbor freight.

I guess in my mind most Jeep dealers kind of expect it. Talk to some of the Jeep guys where you're at and see where they suggest to go.

How'd you go about taking them out?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3