2017 Chevy Colorado ZR2

B

BPD53

The new Colorado sure has come a long way. I am jealous of the suspension setup. It is light years ahead of my torsion bar design.

My 2010 is waaaaay better though............because it's paid for.

Mine may not be packed with technology, but it isn't packed with debt either. These trucks have gotten out of hand with their prices.

balexander87

Observer

Mine may not be packed with technology, but it isn't packed with debt either. These trucks have gotten out of hand with their prices.

Ha! The thought I keep having is "I wonder how long I'll have to keep my paid-for car before I can afford one of these in the used market!!"

malibubts

Adventurer
The new Colorado sure has come a long way. I am jealous of the suspension setup. It is light years ahead of my torsion bar design.

The ZR2 is going to be expensive for obvious reasons. It's really unfortunate though how limited the Diesel is in this platform. You can only get the engine in the Crew Cab configuration and in the higher trim levels. You basically can't get a Canyon/Colorado for under 40k MSRP. I looked at this truck quite a bit before getting my EcoDiesel, but the financials just weren't there. With Ram you can get their Diesel in the lower trim levels, I ended up with a Full Size for probably 5-7k less than the Canyon/Colorado have been. Some would argue the smaller platform is a much bigger advantage, but for my uses the Full Size was for me. Very cool truck and I'd love to have one, but I'd guess the ZR2 will come with a 50k + price tag. Really glad they are actually going to build the concept though and they aren't just designs sitting on the computer.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Clutch

<---Pass

Ha! The thought I keep having is "I wonder how long I'll have to keep my paid-for car before I can afford one of these in the used market!!"

Paid for vehicles are the best kind.

I haven't had a vehicle payment in 20 years...I "almost" pulled the trigger this past week on a brandy new one, I just couldn't do it. Even low mile used ones are commanding outrageous prices. Kinda hard to drop the cash on something new, when I already have what I want and need.

The ZR2 is going to be expensive for obvious reasons. It's really unfortunate though how limited the Diesel is in this platform. You can only get the engine in the Crew Cab configuration and in the higher trim levels. You basically can't get a Canyon/Colorado for under 40k MSRP. I looked at this truck quite a bit before getting my EcoDiesel, but the financials just weren't there. With Ram you can get their Diesel in the lower trim levels, I ended up with a Full Size for probably 5-7k less than the Canyon/Colorado have been. Some would argue the smaller platform is a much bigger advantage, but for my uses the Full Size was for me. Very cool truck and I'd love to have one, but I'd guess the ZR2 will come with a 50k + price tag. Really glad they are actually going to build the concept though and they aren't just designs sitting on the computer.

That is the nice thing about the Dodge, can be had in the contractor model...they dropped the ball on payload and towing though (like the Colorado). Why put in a work horse engine, when you can't do any work with it???

$50K is awful lot to spend to only being able to carry a ground tent and cooler....

malibubts

Adventurer
That is the nice thing about the Dodge, can be had in the contractor model...they dropped the ball on payload and towing though (like the Colorado). Why put in a work horse engine, when you can't do any work with it???

$50K is awful lot to spend to only being able to carry a ground tent and cooler....

I was out the door at 36k, but if you option up you can easily hit that number on a Ram too. From a lot of what I've seen is the low towing numbers is due to the cooling system, or lack thereof. The intercooler and radiator are stacked and not sized appropriately making it difficult for the engine to shed heat. The low towing is due to the fact the engine temperatures will climb at high loads and grades, causing the ECU to derate the engine. I will not be towing max ratings on tough inclines, so it's a non issue for me. On the payload issue, I can see the concern as well. Again my plans are to keep as close to this number as I can, but I'm sure I've accidentally been over before. I plan on getting a cap here soon and build a sleeping platform, so I will need to keep an eye on the payload for sure. I don't think it will be too big of an issue as long as you aren't crazy over the payload by hauling around huge pallets and whatnot. My main draw to the setup was the fuel economy; I have an average of 25 MPG across about 30k miles and on a highway trip I can easily get 28-30 MPG. It sure beats the 16-17 I'd get in my old 5.3L GMC.

Clutch

<---Pass
I was out the door at 36k, but if you option up you can easily hit that number on a Ram too. From a lot of what I've seen is the low towing numbers is due to the cooling system, or lack thereof. The intercooler and radiator are stacked and not sized appropriately making it difficult for the engine to shed heat. The low towing is due to the fact the engine temperatures will climb at high loads and grades, causing the ECU to derate the engine. I will not be towing max ratings on tough inclines, so it's a non issue for me. On the payload issue, I can see the concern as well. Again my plans are to keep as close to this number as I can, but I'm sure I've accidentally been over before. I plan on getting a cap here soon and build a sleeping platform, so I will need to keep an eye on the payload for sure. I don't think it will be too big of an issue as long as you aren't crazy over the payload by hauling around huge pallets and whatnot. My main draw to the setup was the fuel economy; I have an average of 25 MPG across about 30k miles and on a highway trip I can easily get 28-30 MPG. It sure beats the 16-17 I'd get in my old 5.3L GMC.

The $50k remark was towards the ZR2...cool truck but an awful lot to spend for a vehicle that can't haul much. Think it was P-Nut saying it would be great for hauling a ground tent. ;)

Yeah, if you keep them light...they should be pretty good. I have looked at the Rams, with the thought of 4Wheel Camper, but you're over payload pretty quick. I see guys do it all the time with the Tacomas, but they are over loaded. I like to be below the legal limit, even if the vehicle can physically handle it. Cops generally ignore over loaded pickups, but if you ever wreck it while being over limit...might cause issues with the insurance company.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Talked to our local GMC dealer neighbor. He said they sell them at or near invoice to buyer who negotiate. He said they still dont have a over supply like pretty much all other models, but said they dont have a shortage either. Far far far easier to get a canyon slt diesel under 40k today than a few months ago. His shop had 5 diesels and 6 gassers on the lot. The large toyota shop bigger place only had two new tacos and two used. But that dealer also is part of our Toyota Monopoly dealer network which meters out specific models to help perpetuate limited availability. The import lot near where I keep my boat has about 2 acres of Tacos parked on it. ;-) yea they'er really hurting for tacos... Not.........

p nut

butter

That's what I've been seeing as well.
_
http://media.chevrolet.com/media/us.../Pages/news/us/en/2016/nov/laas/1115-zr2.html
_
Again, +1 sizing should be easily fitted, which is what most people would be happy with. I got to a lot of places on 265/75/16's on my old Tacoma. Actually had 31x11x15 tires for a while that also did very well.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Side note on buying new.
Dealers know that if your serious about buying and tell them your only paying invoice. And they let you leave that they just lost a sale, 99.9999% of the time that buyer buys within a couple of days from a different dealer at invoice...

Honda around here especially for the pilot is nearly as bad as the Taco regarding dealers acting as if they are gold.

I coached a friend on his shopping last week. 184 pilots showed up on a 70 mile search - take away.. They are not rare items.
He walked in said Invoice for the White one. Sales person laughed and did the song and dance how in 5yrs hes never seen a pilot sold at invoice. So my budy stood up started walking out the door. Wait wait let me go ask the boss.
Comes back $1500 off msrp. My budy just smiled and said I already told you what I'll pay. The sales guy no joke was chasing him through the parking lot as he drove out. At the driveway the manager called the sales guy on his cell. Sales guy hollers OK invoice as my buddy started pulling out of the lot.

End to end 40 minutes to be driving off in a new Pilot at invoice.

Go to the farmers market sometime. Only about 2% of Americans attempt to negotiate prices. Our dealers know this and take most buyers to the cleaners...

malibubts

Adventurer
Yup, definitely do your research before you buy. I bought middle of 15 so any GMC diesel would have been an early buy, so no one was budging on the price. I ended up a good deal under invoice and took most of their hold back by playing the game with Ram. Get competing quotes and be ready to walk out. As soon as you walk out the door, especially at the end of the month or quarter, the dealer will get desperate. I think sticker on my truck was 42 or so and before taxes and fees I was out at 34. But that whole strategy gets a lot tougher when the truck is rare, I was fortune to have 5 of the exact same trucks spread across a few dealers with the only difference being paint color.

And to the payload point, I think as long as you are not doing anything crazy with a pickup you won't have issues. Simple camper top and a little over, you won't draw attention. Huge slide in camper or pallets of bricks and a sagging suspension, you will. My plan is to be part of the first crowd.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Last edited:

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I've never bought a brand new vehicle from a dealer like that calicamper, but I did buy my Tacoma from a dealer. For used it helps to have the Internet as a baseline, even if Toyota and dealers are in collusion it's hard for them to argue against a 250 mile cars.com and Craigslist used search for a realistic price (which for me was about $2K lower than blue book). I had a fairly specific truck in mind so rarity actually did work against me (Access Cab, 6 speed stick) so I missed out on a couple, one private and one at a dealer. When I found this one I don't think they foresaw me writing them a check for the negotiated price. "No, actually, I'm not trading in my old truck and I don't need to talk to your financing guy."

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I've never bought a brand new vehicle from a dealer like that calicamper, but I did buy my Tacoma from a dealer. For used it helps to have the Internet as a baseline, even if Toyota and dealers are in collusion it's hard for them to argue against a 250 mile cars.com and Craigslist used search for a realistic price (which for me was about $2K lower than blue book). I had a fairly specific truck in mind so rarity actually did work against me (Access Cab, 6 speed stick) so I missed out on a couple, one private and one at a dealer. When I found this one I don't think they foresaw me writing them a check for the negotiated price. "No, actually, I'm not trading in my old truck and I don't need to talk to your financing guy."

Bought the wife a 2016 Fusion Energy last Sept. It was the same sort of dealer game. Only they started with 2015 at msrp. Ha ha ha ha!!!
I said wow your a collector should I go someplace else where they sell cars? I've never seen a sales manager look as if hes going to go supernova like that. 3 days later I called asked if he was selling or collecting today because I was buying today. 30minutes later we picked up our 2016 $300 below invoice exact car we wanted.
He wanted $2600 for a 5yr 100k warranty. I bought from another Ford dealer online 125k 6yr for $1275! In 5 minutes online. Finance guy looked like he was going to jump out the window.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven