2017 Chevy Colorado ZR2

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I wont transport my family in Wrangler derivitive for one simple reason. Crash ratings. Also a big reason I haven't had much interest in the 4dr Pickups even though I keep trying to buy one every few yrs. The current Canyon/Colorado is about par to our Subaru on that aspect today.

I have seen far too many wrangler wrecks and know a few people caught in them its just not of any interest for this family guy. If I were a single guy or married with no kids. Those Jeep products are pretty cool I might have one.

rkj__

Adventurer
Yeah for that coin it needs to be pretty nice. (I am just giving ya hard time ;) )

For an off-road play rig...would like to have something super durable. Did notice that rubber flooring is an option, so that is cool

Chevy did really knock it out of the park for a turn key play truck. Everything else is just nit picking. If I wasn't such a cheap SOB, would love to have one. Really cool truck.

Tires-wise...are they really 31's? Because I am reading a 265 on the spare...can't see what the other number is. Usually 265's are 31.7 there abouts. Depending on the manufacture the difference betwee a 31 and a 32 is only a 1/2" or 1". Not going to matter much at the end of the day.

They are 265/65R17, not the more common 265/70R17. They are the same tires that came on the Z71 Trail Boss and Z71 Midnight Edition.

The ZR2 will clear 265/70R17 no problem, but that tire size fills the wheel well. To get a bigger tire than that, you have to lift it enough for the tire to start coming outside of the wheel well.

p nut

butter
Jeep will be coming out with their Gladiator, or whatever they choose to call their midsize pickup, in the next year. If, when the Gladiator is launched, it is substantially better than the ZR2 off-road GM will have made a mistake. Undoubtedly the ZR2 will be more comfortable on-road and get better fuel economy, but if it can't hang off road with the other options coming in the segment people won't buy the ZR2 package. Larger tires are very important to the buyers of this vehicle. Which, most of you guys don't seem to represent. It seems like most of you don't even have vehicles that are less than 6 years old. GM would have been wise to design this vehicle to have similar tire sizes available as the competitors who will be coming to the segment. Let's say that the Gladiator comes from the factory with a 420 FT/LB Ecodiesel, respectable payload, manual transmission, respectable towing, locking differentials and similar price. Would you choose the Gladiator Rubicon or the ZR2. I think I would choose the Gladiator.

No different than the offerings now in the SUV market. Are people choosing 4Runner Trails over Wranglers? You bet. Wranglers are nice vehicles for what they are. Would I buy one? Nope. I value personal comfort and more importantly, want to save my ear drums from the constant anguish from the wife and kids on trips. I'd rather tow a Rzr to the trails. I think it would certainly make a dent in the mid-size market sales, but not to the extent of complete domination, or even anything close that.

..It seems like most of you don't even have vehicles that are less than 6 years old...

What's that got to do with anything? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

RF2200

I wont transport my family in Wrangler derivitive for one simple reason. Crash ratings. Also a big reason I haven't had much interest in the 4dr Pickups even though I keep trying to buy one every few yrs. The current Canyon/Colorado is about par to our Subaru on that aspect today.

I have seen far too many wrangler wrecks and know a few people caught in them its just not of any interest for this family guy. If I were a single guy or married with no kids. Those Jeep products are pretty cool I might have one.

If you think that your Subaru is safer than my 8,000LB Crew Cab Power Wagon you must live on Mars. Crash tests do not take into account vehicle mass or vehicle compatibility issues which makes cars like the Subaru seem more safe than they actually are. If you crashed into my truck with your car you would have a bumper in the face. Same thing with my Jeep although it has less mass than the truck.

The ZR2 has 265/65R17 tires which are listed as 30.6" tall.

I witnessed a crash between a new Subaru Outback and a Ford F350 Crew Cab about two years ago. 55 MPH and the Subaru turned left at a green light in front of the oncoming truck. I should send you a picture so that you never want to get in your Subaru again. Horror show.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
If you think that your Subaru is safer than my 8,000LB Crew Cab Power Wagon you must live on Mars. Crash tests do not take into account vehicle mass or vehicle compatibility issues which makes cars like the Subaru seem more safe than they actually are. If you crashed into my truck with your car you would have a bumper in the face. Same thing with my Jeep although it has less mass than the truck.

The ZR2 has 265/65R17 tires which are listed as 30.6" tall.

I witnessed a crash between a new Subaru Outback and a Ford F350 Crew Cab about two years ago. 55 MPH and the Subaru turned left at a green light in front of the oncoming truck. I should send you a picture so that you never want to get in your Subaru again. Horror show.

I go by real data ie statistics. Which is why my current truck is a Sequoia. Pretty much the gold standard for zero loss of life. I have the Subaru because I've driven around and through accidents in progress in ways that no other Car would accomplish easily.

If I were as scared as you I'd stick to flying and walking.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
No different than the offerings now in the SUV market. Are people choosing 4Runner Trails over Wranglers? You bet. Wranglers are nice vehicles for what they are. Would I buy one? Nope. I value personal comfort and more importantly, want to save my ear drums from the constant anguish from the wife and kids on trips. I'd rather tow a Rzr to the trails. I think it would certainly make a dent in the mid-size market sales, but not to the extent of complete domination, or even anything close that.
The Gladiator, ZR2, TRD Pro, at some point it becomes too niche. A manufacturer can't possibly hit all the right things to satisfy people who by their nature have historically customized mass produced trucks for their need and taste. It's hard to argue against Multimatic and FOX 2.5" IFP, but there's a reason some guys choose King and Icon even on high end suspension. Tire size, tread, gearing, there's so many variables. I think what most of these special edition trucks are after isn't the market here at ExPo but the guys who are chasing a spec sheet for bragging rights and set of stickers. I dunno, maybe there is a formula to these things, a typical way things are done.

RF2200

What's that got to do with anything? :rolleyes:

Jeep sells well over twice as many JKs as 4Runners for reasons that are apparently oblivious to you guys. Toyota does not even offer a product to compete with the Rubicon.

To think that Jeep's truck will just make a "dent" in off-road midsize truck sales is naive.

Clutch

<---Pass

;)

someone-loves-you-drive-with-care-racine-im-single-nobody-2298111.png

They are 265/65R17, not the more common 265/70R17. They are the same tires that came on the Z71 Trail Boss and Z71 Midnight Edition.

The ZR2 will clear 265/70R17 no problem, but that tire size fills the wheel well. To get a bigger tire than that, you have to lift it enough for the tire to start coming outside of the wheel well.

Ahh...thanks. Tried zooming in on the spare, but it was too blurry to read.

Dalko43

Explorer
Jeep will be coming out with their Gladiator, or whatever they choose to call their midsize pickup, in the next year. If, when the Gladiator is launched, it is substantially better than the ZR2 off-road GM will have made a mistake. Undoubtedly the ZR2 will be more comfortable on-road and get better fuel economy, but if it can't hang off road with the other options coming in the segment people won't buy the ZR2 package. Larger tires are very important to the buyers of this vehicle. Which, most of you guys don't seem to represent. It seems like most of you don't even have vehicles that are less than 6 years old. GM would have been wise to design this vehicle to have similar tire sizes available as the competitors who will be coming to the segment. Let's say that the Gladiator comes from the factory with a 420 FT/LB Ecodiesel, respectable payload, manual transmission, respectable towing, locking differentials and similar price. Would you choose the Gladiator Rubicon or the ZR2. I think I would choose the Gladiator.

At this point you're arguing about vehicle and engine combo's that haven't even hit the market yet (and some which are entirely theoretical). Let's just take it easy for a bit and save the bickering over capabilities and performance for when these trucks actually get into consumer hands, when we'll have some real metrics and feedback to fall back on.

FWIW, 32"-33" tires seems to be the sweet spot for most people focused on long range, overland-type travel. If the ZR2 can accommodate that size of tire with little modification, then I think most buyers will be perfectly satisfied.

RF2200

I go by real data ie statistics. Which is why my current truck is a Sequoia. Pretty much the gold standard for zero loss of life. I have the Subaru because I've driven around and through accidents in progress in ways that no other Car would accomplish easily.

If I were as scared as you I'd stick to flying and walking.

Should have mentioned the truck driver walked away from the accident. The Subaru driver... not so much

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Jeep sells well over twice as many JKs as 4Runners for reasons that are apparently oblivious to you guys. Toyota does not even offer a product to compete with the Rubicon.

To think that Jeep's truck will just make a "dent" in off-road midsize truck sales is naive.
I believe Jeep will sell plenty of whatever they make. Britney Spears sold a lot of records, too.

Clutch

<---Pass

Should have mentioned the truck driver walked away from the accident. The Subaru driver... not so much

I have tried to convince the better 3/4's of getting a Suby for my daily, decent on gas, great in the snow...she won't let me, since my commute is filled with mostly 1 Tons and Semis.

This happened a couple years not far from the house.

That was a Subaru...

202114d1441752643-idaho-subaru-outback-unoffical-state-car-crunched.jpg

RF2200

At this point you're arguing about vehicle and engine combo's that haven't even hit the market yet (and some which are entirely theoretical). Let's just take it easy for a bit and save the bickering over capabilities and performance for when these trucks actually get into consumer hands, when we'll have some real metrics and feedback to fall back on.

FWIW, 32"-33" tires seems to be the sweet spot for most people focused on long range, overland-type travel. If the ZR2 can accommodate that size of tire with little modification, then I think most buyers will be perfectly satisfied.

The lockers are great. The suspension is great. More off-road oriented vehicles are great. GM missed the ball with the 30.6 inch tires. The restriction on upsizing tires will be off-putting to people who will actually buy this truck. I agree that 32"-33" tires are the sweet spot for this type of vehicle. And this truck has 30" tires. Too small. If it can fit a 285/70R17 without having to throw away that new suspension it should be a winner for the people who will actually buy this truck.

dman93

Adventurer
Returning to the ZR2, especially the diesel, this Toyota fanboy who has a 2016 TRDOR Taco sitting outside, is thinking maybe he should have waited.

Clutch

<---Pass
Returning to the ZR2, especially the diesel, this Toyota fanboy who has a 2016 TRDOR Taco sitting outside, is thinking maybe he should have waited.

Heck, those Tacos are worth more used than new! Shouldn't loose too much money on it if you decide to off it.

Maybe these things will sell like hotcakes, and the used Tacoma market will come down a bit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven