2017 Chevy Colorado ZR2

Clutch

<---Pass
Yeah, I just tried again it wouldn't let me. IIRC I had to add some sort of trailer package to the WT to get it to allow a diesel but this morning it won't do it at all.

I honestly don't get the attraction to diesel if it's not for fuel range. That's why I want one, 30 MPG. It would seem for fleet sales having a diesel option on base and WT would be good. I dunno.

That is what I was thinking...fleet sales, you would think those guys would gobble it up...even then...if it I was the business owner penny pincher. Everyone one would be in the 2WD gasser for $20K, (can we get the price down to $17K a piece if I buy 30 of them!? ;) ) as modern diesels are making less and less a case for business. Too costly to maintain.

For a long time, RC 4 banger trucks were the auto parts runners staple...I am seeing more and more subcompact cars that get 40 mpg doing that duty.

Last edited:

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
My long term plan is a swing-out rear bumper for the spare tire and a transfer under the bed in the spare location.

Wasn't aware the 1st gen had a smaller tank. I have a 21 gallon tank now and my 1991 had 19 gallons, I thought it was 18 gallons on 1st gen 4WD XtraCab.

Clutch

<---Pass
My long term plan is a swing-out rear bumper for the spare tire and a transfer under the bed in the spare location.

Wasn't aware the 1st gen had a smaller tank. I have a 21 gallon tank now and my 1991 had 19 gallons, I thought it was 18 gallons on 1st gen 4WD XtraCab.

That was the other option, get a rear tank off of a Ford, and move the spare to a swing out.

Maybe the later models...while I have never ran it dry, (have come darn close) I can't get anymore than 15.1 gallons into. It might be 16.

Have a 20 gallon tank on the Trooper, can get exactly 20 gallons into it.

Last edited:

p nut

butter
Ford part in a Toyota? Wouldn't it spontaneously implode or something? :D
_
Range is definitely a draw to diesel, but just did a build on a Silverado 1500 WT regular cab/long bed, you get a 34 gal tank and 22mpg on the 4.3 or 5.3. That's a looong ways on the road. Plus you get the payload and that gorgeous 8' bed. $32k MSRP, which means you're looking at probably mid-$20k's. (yeah, I know, no stick)

1500wt.jpg

DaveInDenver

That truck is why the small trucks don't work for fleets anymore. What benefit is there to one for a construction company, government agency or whatever? Wouldn't work for me but as a company truck, it's a no brainer.

Clutch

<---Pass
Ford part in a Toyota? Wouldn't it spontaneously implode or something? :D

Ha ha!

You can get a 38 gallon rear tank for only a couple hundred bucks, sure you have to put in a fuel pump and plumb it in...still pretty cheap in comparison.

http://www.lmctruck.com/features/fc/FCGT3.htm
_
Range is definitely a draw to diesel, but just did a build on a Silverado 1500 WT regular cab/long bed, you get a 34 gal tank and 22mpg on the 4.3 or 5.3. That's a looong ways on the road. Plus you get the payload and that gorgeous 8' bed. $32k MSRP, which means you're looking at probably mid-$20k's. (yeah, I know, no stick)

View attachment 376795

c'mon Peeeeee-Nut! no one wants one of them because they taint kool! ;) :D

Ram V6 was rated at 25 HWY, since no one wants them...I have seen them around the $20K mark (and not above $25K)...with 4WD! Those have the same or better tow/payload ratings than the midsizes.

Yeah, bummer no stick...know I am being put out to pasture...sooner rather than later. :)

This is $23,122 if it is too small to read.

Screen shot 2016-11-28 at 11.09.14 AM.jpg

p nut

butter
That truck is why the small trucks don't work for fleets anymore. What benefit is there to one for a construction company, government agency or whatever? Wouldn't work for me but as a company truck, it's a no brainer.

Bah, yeah it'd work for you. A RZR will fit nicely in that bed. :D

p nut

butter
Ha ha!

You can get a 38 gallon rear tank for only a couple hundred bucks, sure you have to put in a fuel pump and plumb it in...still pretty cheap in comparison.

_

c'mon Peeeeee-Nut! no one wants one of them because they taint kool! ;) :D

Ram V6 was rated at 25 HWY, since no one wants them...I have seen them around the $20K mark (and not above $25K)...with 4WD! Those have the same or better tow/payload ratings than the midsizes.

Yeah, bummer no stick...know I am being put out to pasture...sooner rather than later. :)

This is $23,122 if it is too small to read.

That's a crazy nice deal. Almost makes me regret the $40k purchase, but there wasn't a single complaint on the 16 hr trip the past weekend from the girls, so that's worth $17k to me. :D

DaveInDenver

Still doesn't solve the parking problem and actually deepens the financial one. :)

As it is going from the '91 to the '08 meant I have to fold the mirrors and unload things from the cab before parking in the garage. I had to take off the bike trays from the roof rack after lifting 2" and going to 32" tires.

It's very tight.

I don't need 8' of bed, but do need extended cab (dog space, so it's not critical it's actually seating).

My reasons for getting that mini truck way, way back are still valid today. I'm not a contractor and just need enough truck not to get stuck in mud/snow/dirt without breaking the bank. Just that what is offered is no longer really meeting the need. The Hilux compared to a F150 back in 199whatever was less expensive, truly smaller, got better mileage.

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass

I have a hard time making a case for me buying a midsize, as I like the mini-trucks over the midsizes....if manufactures offered a mini, it would be a no brainer...now with midsizes close in fuel economy, size and price to full size, makes the decision harder. Test drove a Tacoma and a F150 back to back...I got say the F150 didn't feel all that much bigger, honestly liked the F150 better. Really like the Super Cab better than the Access Cab...with the doors on the Toyota not opening all the way to the bed, it was harder to get in there...especially trying to shove a MX gear bag back there. I brought the gear bag with me to see which one was better. Got some strange looks from the salesman. Hey man, I have to see if it is going to work for me. I'll be tossing this bag back there a couple times a week during peak riding season...which is damn near year round here!

For size reference...we have 2 of these that we shove into the extra cab. Toss them in the cab when we are out riding for added security.

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
That's a crazy nice deal. Almost makes me regret the $40k purchase, but there wasn't a single complaint on the 16 hr trip the past weekend from the girls, so that's worth $17k to me. :D

I know! Great price! My buddy had one of the extra cab Ram's....ok for gear storage...it was awful to ride back there. It was a 2500 8' bed. we could get 3 bikes in there, with the tailgate closed...that was fricken nice!

Lemme see if I can find a true crew cab at a reasonable price.

here you go, under $25K for the bigger cab.

Screen shot 2016-11-28 at 11.37.27 AM.jpg

Last edited:

DaveInDenver

1991 Pickup XtraCab (Wikipedia)
Length: 193.1"
Width: 66.5"
Height: 69.1"

Mine was longer with the front ARB and rear Marlin bumpers of course. It was quite a lot taller, but it fit in the same garage with the WilderNest and roof rack, so I know if was at or less than 80", probably a solid inch or two lower since 80" just brushes the rubber gasket on the door trim with about an inch to spare to the actual header.

2008 Tacoma Access Cab (approx actuals)
Length: 208" (stock bumpers)
Width: 75" (mirrors in)
Height: 80" (top of roof rack bars on camper shell)
MPG: 18 avg. (16/20 spec)

2013 Chevy Silverado Extended Cab (specs)
Length: 230.2"
Width: 62.4" (does not look to include mirrors)
Height: 73.8"
MPG: 15/21/17 (city/hwy/combined on the 5.3L V8 even)

Surprised to see a full size is so much narrower, they seem so wide. The length would be a problem since I already almost touch the back shelves in the garage with the overhead down.

Also was looking at the 2017 brochure and Chevy doesn't offer a regular extended cab, it's some silly 4 door long cab with rear clown doors. I like the suicide door configuration the manufacturers used (like the Access Cab Taco). That is pure genius. The lack of a 'B' pillar is awesome.

I never really looked but now I know just how much bigger the 2nd gen Tacoma is, so it's not my imagination that it's not really even mid size.

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
1991 Pickup XtraCab (Wikipedia)
Length: 193.1"
Width: 66.5"
Height: 69.1"

Mine was longer with the front ARB and rear Marlin bumpers of course. It was quite a lot taller, but it fit in the same garage with the WilderNest and roof rack, so I know if was at or less than 80", probably a solid inch or two lower since 80" just brushes the rubber gasket on the door trim with about an inch to spare to the actual header.

2008 Tacoma Access Cab (approx actuals)
Length: 208" (stock bumpers)
Width: 75" (mirrors in)
Height: 80" (top of roof rack bars on camper shell)
MPG: 18 avg. (16/20 spec)

2013 Chevy Silverado Extended Cab (specs)
Length: 230.2"
Width: 62.4" (does not look to include mirrors)
Height: 73.8"
MPG: 15/21/17 (city/hwy/combined on the 5.3L V8 even)

Surprised to see a full size is so much narrower, they seem so wide. The length would be a problem since I already almost touch the back shelves in the garage with the overhead down.

Also was looking at the 2017 brochure and Chevy doesn't offer a regular extended cab, it's some silly 4 door long cab with rear clown doors. I like the suicide door configuration the manufacturers used (like the Access Cab Taco). That is pure genius. The lack of a 'B' pillar is awesome.

I never really looked but now I know just how much bigger the 2nd gen Tacoma is, so it's not my imagination that it's not really even mid size.

Yeah, not much different in size. Get you on length and that is about it. Though I was maxing out my approach and departure angles yesterday...kept on wishing I was on my bike...only reason I wasn't is because it is down for its' winter overhaul. I find exploring in the truck a hassle. ran into a bunch of locked gates yesterday in tight areas...pain the butt...where if I was on the bike, just whip it around and zip back down the road...the truck is so damn slow. Kind of a pain in the ******** if you want to go climb up on a ridge road to have a look see....found myself...well I am not taking the truck up that! and turning around.

It is truck Dave, it is ok to park them outside. ;) I reserve the garage for the Sunday driver(s).

I like the F150 extra cab better (have a hard time with all the different names now, they will always be extra cabs in my mind)

...nice flat floor too.

fordf150supercabdoors_o.jpg

2013_toyota_tacoma_access_cab_sb-pic-5667052881221117288-640x480.jpeg

Last edited:

DaveInDenver

Yeah, not much different in size. Get you on length and that is about it. It is truck Dave, it is ok to park them outside. ;) I reserve the garage for the Sunday driver.
My truck is my Sunday driver. I get one about every 15 years and they gotta last. I had about a year of overlap between the two trucks in 2015 and the body on the 1991 degraded real quick in that year being parked outside 24/7/365. A fairly serious hail storm, normally snowy winter, mag chloride goop frozen solid, UV, bird poo, dust storms. I don't baby my trucks but they are a significant expense in my budget and I'm sold on keeping them inside if possible. I don't leave my motorcycle or bikes or tools outside for the same reason. Plus I don't like the damn hoodlums stealing stuff out of them.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
I have a hard time making a case for me buying a midsize, as I like the mini-trucks over the midsizes....if manufactures offered a mini, it would be a no brainer...now with midsizes close in fuel economy, size and price to full size, makes the decision harder. Test drove a Tacoma and a F150 back to back...I got say the F150 didn't feel all that much bigger, honestly liked the F150 better. Really like the Super Cab better than the Access Cab...with the doors on the Toyota not opening all the way to the bed, it was harder to get in there...especially trying to shove a MX gear bag back there. I brought the gear bag with me to see which one was better. Got some strange looks from the salesman. Hey man, I have to see if it is going to work for me. I'll be tossing this bag back there a couple times a week during peak riding season...which is damn near year round here!

For size reference...we have 2 of these that we shove into the extra cab. Toss them in the cab when we are out riding for added security.

maxresdefault.jpg
I bet everytime you go to the dealer they say oh gawd it's him again. Lolol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven