2017 Chevy Colorado ZR2

Clutch

<---Pass
The midisized rigs are the same width as my Subaru. Actually narrower than the new Pilot, highlander etc by a smidge. The F150 is a wide rig. I just took the kids to SF yesterday. Rode BART. It took two trips around the lot to find a spot we could wedge into. I had to laugh there was one full sized Dodge truck and a sequoia just like mine circling the lot trying to find a spot they could wedge into.

12yrs living in SF and a rental there having a vehicle is still nice. Length in SF is a factor. 190 inches was our max length out front in SF. Commuter and other parking lots width is a big issue. 74inches wide is about the sweet spot. Any wider and your passing up tight spots you simply cant get into and out of.

Between the Colorado and Silverado 1500 double cab short beds, track width is only 6" difference, (ZR2 knocks that track width even closer) and wheelbase is 15". Not much in my book.

SF is fun to visit, no way I could live there....too claustrophobic. Too many gaaaad damn people.

Clutch

<---Pass
That's how I feel about pretty much everywhere. My wife thinks I'm crazy.

Mine agrees with me, awfully nice to be on the edge of the least populated areas in the Lower 48. Had a client in today, they just moved here from Philly, said the vastness
freaks them out here. Makes me quite comfortable....crowds however...

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Between the Colorado and Silverado 1500 double cab short beds, track width is only 6" difference, (ZR2 knocks that track width even closer) and wheelbase is 15". Not much in my book.

SF is fun to visit, no way I could live there....too claustrophobic. Too many gaaaad damn people.

Grew up as a country boy horses the whole bit. We kept our SF place because we loved living there. We'll be back after the kids move out.

Clutch

<---Pass
Grew up as a country boy horses the whole bit. We kept our SF place because we loved living there. We'll be back after the kids move out.

I did the big city thing in Pittsburgh, PA for 3 years, liked it at first but it worn thin after awhile. I am just not a city person, nice to be back in a small town...reminds me how we grew up, though we lived in the country outside of town. My dad built the house we grew up in, several friends their fathers built their houses too. I don't think that happens too much anymore, kinda like trucks...there was a time when people used trucks as trucks...not so much anymore. ;) :D

While not a huge city by any means, had to go to Tucson last fall for a wedding and to check on my rentals. I forgot how fricken loud that place is, here it is so quiet at night you can hear the blood pulsating in your head.

XJLI

Adventurer
Midsized is targeting lifestyle truck use. Someone who needs more load carrying ability over a Subaru, MDX, Ford explorer, honda pilot etc. And wants to still have parking ability and mileage. Thats where the midsized trucks are headed. Around here all the contractors drive compact rigs due to parking being a big issue! I grew up with big full sized rigs. Today I couldn't use one if it were given to me for free. The narrower width of the Midsized still fits the really tight parking we have. Which also is one of the largest Auto markets in the US.

You guys debating this topic who never park in public transportation lots, or have never spent 40 minutes looking for a parking spot 200+ inches long will never understand why smaller rigs have a big value in the top auto markets in the US.

If I lived in anyother place where land was cheap. Hell I'd have a F350 just to have one.

This.

If I lived out west I'd have a 3/4 ton diesel rig with a camper on it and a dirt bike. But where I go camping and exploring a full-size would get slammed between trees all day. Sure, the extra capability is great, but the size in every day lift and for what I actually need it's too much truck. I don't need to tow 12,000lbs every day. I don't need S-class rivaling rear legroom every day. I also can't use a side-by-side without driving a couple hours and going to a friend's property. There's nowhere around to legally ride a bike or ATV without going to a track and I'm not interested in that.

This size truck is perfect for what I need every day, and has the capability to take me on pretty much any trail in the country, stock; while getting commuter-car levels of fuel economy. Is $45-50K a huge amount for a truck? You bet it is. But this is a truck I'll have for at least 15 years. Will I miss the "extra space or capability" of a full size a couple times during that time? Sure. But the other 90% of the time this truck will do the rest perfectly.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Depends on what you mean by out west. The pines and aspens are dense, so mini trucks just get Colorado pinstripes, full size get dents.

Plus it's only been recently they even paved the streets and put in garages in the cities, so we don't have to always tie up our trucks outside anymore.

But they still like to hang outside when they can.

IMG_0941_mid.jpg

Full size. Nope.

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
This.

If I lived out west I'd have a 3/4 ton diesel rig with a camper on it and a dirt bike. But where I go camping and exploring a full-size would get slammed between trees all day. Sure, the extra capability is great, but the size in every day lift and for what I actually need it's too much truck. I don't need to tow 12,000lbs every day. I don't need S-class rivaling rear legroom every day. I also can't use a side-by-side without driving a couple hours and going to a friend's property. There's nowhere around to legally ride a bike or ATV without going to a track and I'm not interested in that.

This size truck is perfect for what I need every day, and has the capability to take me on pretty much any trail in the country, stock; while getting commuter-car levels of fuel economy. Is $45-50K a huge amount for a truck? You bet it is. But this is a truck I'll have for at least 15 years. Will I miss the "extra space or capability" of a full size a couple times during that time? Sure. But the other 90% of the time this truck will do the rest perfectly.

Depends on what you mean by out west. The pines and aspens are dense, so mini trucks just get Colorado pinstripes, full size get dents.

Plus it's only been recently they even paved the streets and put in garages in the cities, so we don't have to always tie up our trucks outside anymore.

But they still like to hang outside when they can.

Full size. Nope.

Had a F250 when I lived in PA, wheeled the heck out of that thing...out here there are some spots where the Tacoma barely fits. It is all relative. If I lived back East would do what I do out here, just get street legal dirt bike, that way you can ride to the trails explore back country roads. Heck, the bikes are coming street legal from the factory now. Though you could't pay me enough to move back, might consider Maine though.

http://www.ktm.com/us/enduro/500-exc-f/

Speaking of F250's...isn't Main Line Overland from PA? :D

ARB_MLO_Campers_WIDE_1_1024x1024.jpg

XJLI

Adventurer
There isn't one legal "trail" I could ride that is under 3 hours away. I need a long-range midsize truck.

Clutch

<---Pass
There isn't one legal "trail" I could ride that is under 3 hours away. I need a long-range midsize truck.

I couldn't live there, would feel like I am in a prison. Have a riding area 10 minutes from the house, 25 minutes from a trail head that is at the head of 2.5 million acres with not a whole lot of anything people-wise. Was out there yesterday in the truck. Went out for a quickie little drive...and end up on dirt...have a knack for doing that.

15178256_10154823280054630_4610498063909751334_n.jpg

15220123_10154823284709630_8074053379078418630_n.jpg

15267844_10154823280154630_8528671218199073317_n.jpg

If GM ever offered the diesel in the dirt bag WT model, extra cab 6' bed...I might consider it. Can't see spending $40K to save on fuel...when you can get a Tacoma 4 banger for $25K that will get 25 mpg HWY. Want more range, a couple jerry cans or a Transfer Flow if you're afraid of getting your hands dirty.

Have found Ram Ecodiesels Tradesman model around the $25K mark...that seems very reasonable to me for a truck that can't haul much. That with a Flip Pac would be a great setup...can't bring myself to buy a Chrysler product.

DaveInDenver

If GM ever offered the diesel in the dirt bag WT model, extra cab 6' bed...I might consider it. Can't see spending $40K to save on fuel...when you can get a Tacoma 4 banger for $25K that will get 25 mpg HWY. Want more range, a couple jerry cans or a Transfer Flow if you're afraid of getting your hands dirty.
That is my main beef with the GM truck. You can get a diesel with the WT trim (pretty sure I was able to build one at least) but the engine seems to only be available in 4 door trucks. I would be seriously interested if I could get the extended cab, 6' bed with a diesel.

Clutch

<---Pass
That is my main beef with the GM truck. You can get a diesel with the WT trim but the engine seems to only be available in 4 door trucks. I would be seriously interested if I could get the extended cab, 6' bed with a diesel.

Thought the lowest trim level was LT for the diesel? Tried building one on the website it wouldn't let me build a WT. Not sure why they don't offer it in the extra cab....they do in the ZR2. Of course they make all their money off of all the fluff ad-ons. Darn near impossible to get a bare bones pickup anymore. It is those 72-84 month loans they are handing out like candy. Maybe because I would pay cash and not see it as monthly installments, I find the prices appalling.

The yearly fuel cost between 20-25 and 30 (HWY) isn't all that much...the buy in cost of the diesels over the gasser....maaaan, that buys an awful lot of fuel. Maybe I am just out of step with the rest of the world, but spending that much to save on fuel, seems wacky to me.

p nut

butter
I will say having a bigger tank has been very nice. Driving for 8 hours without stopping, holding in #1, sometimes #2 for 3 hours--talk about an adventure!
_
Jerry cans don't bother me, either, though. Except since I've got a bed cover, everything starts to smell like gas after a while. My only gripe.

DaveInDenver

Yeah, I just tried again it wouldn't let me. IIRC I had to add some sort of trailer package to the WT to get it to allow a diesel but this morning it won't do it at all.

I honestly don't get the attraction to diesel if it's not for fuel range. That's why I want one, 30 MPG. It would seem for fleet sales having a diesel option on base and WT would be good. I dunno.

Clutch

<---Pass
I will say having a bigger tank has been very nice. Driving for 8 hours without stopping, holding in #1, sometimes #2 for 3 hours--talk about an adventure!
_
Jerry cans don't bother me, either, though. Except since I've got a bed cover, everything starts to smell like gas after a while. My only gripe.

I have a dinky 15 gallon tank on my 1st gen. Have been debating on either a bumper swing out or a Transfer Flow, would loose bed space if I did the Transfer Flow, don't really want to do that. But like having the weight midship over hanging off the back...everything is a gaaaad damn compromise, taint it!? :D

The majority of the time I have my moto trailer with me, usually where my jerry cans end up, don't like them in the Wildernest...as you said, everything smells like gas.

Cost is about the same between the two. Will probably have to get a custom tank made as I don't see that Transfer Flow has one that will fit the Tacomas.

http://www.cbioffroadfab.com/produc...-rear-bumper-trail-rider-1-0-base-swing-away/

TrailRider_1.0_swing_away_FRONT.jpg

I dunno...all my crap is paid for....the money I save by not buying a new truck...keeps the ol' gal running for a long time. (as I have played that record over and over... ;) :p )

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gotfuzz