2017 Chevy Colorado ZR2

TwinStick

Explorer
"Rather see them do their own thing and pushed the HiLux, LC70, Patrol, etc...in the American market."

Me too. Would LOVE to see a diesel hi-lux here. If this truck takes off, we may see others throw their hat in the ring. Toyota already makes that truck. Ford still makes the Ranger, with 4 doors & a diesel.....just not avail here. We can only hope.

bhguy

Observer
But you don't on the Jeep. You guys are forgetting that Jeep is coming out with a pickup next year that will compete directly with this. It is going to have a diesel. Going to have lockers. And is going to be able to fit at least 33" tires with no modification. This is why they missed the ball.

The jeep that has been promised as long as the bronco.....2017 unlikely, i waited fornthe release for 2 years now i picked up a 4 runner trail...tired of the broken promises and refunded deposits

Clutch

<---Pass
"Rather see them do their own thing and pushed the HiLux, LC70, Patrol, etc...in the American market."

Me too. Would LOVE to see a diesel hi-lux here. If this truck takes off, we may see others throw their hat in the ring. Toyota already makes that truck. Ford still makes the Ranger, with 4 doors & a diesel.....just not avail here. We can only hope.

Time well tell.

Found an article on pickup sales, US vs Japanese: https://www.trucks.com/2016/08/05/america-loves-big-pickup-trucks/

CGS

Observer
I really like the idea of this truck but I just can't see it if the price is near Raptor territory. I'm honestly just happy that they delivered on the diesel at all. Local dealer has a few diesel Canyons that I want to go take a look at but they all sticker for over 40k and aren't fully loaded. I find it hard to believe the ZR2 would come in under 50. Probably just wishful thinking but I might get more excited about a diesel in a 4Runner or Xterra type package.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
I really like the idea of this truck but I just can't see it if the price is near Raptor territory. I'm honestly just happy that they delivered on the diesel at all. Local dealer has a few diesel Canyons that I want to go take a look at but they all sticker for over 40k and aren't fully loaded. I find it hard to believe the ZR2 would come in under 50. Probably just wishful thinking but I might get more excited about a diesel in a 4Runner or Xterra type package.

They'll deal on diesel colorados. 6k off is easy to find. You can get a 4 door 4wd diesel with options for 35k.

Clutch

<---Pass
They'll deal on diesel colorados. 6k off is easy to find. You can get a 4 door 4wd diesel with options for 35k.

Yep. Went and looked at this one to see if it really existed, and wasn't a fishing lure.

http://www.edmarknampa.com/inventor...-4wd-z71-4wd-truck-crew-cab-1gcptde11g1386043

$34,934 I dunno, still seems like a lot for truck that can't haul much.

26b0519fceda508e07da113a9dd2906c.jpg

Not much more and you can get a 3/4 ton. http://www.edmarknampa.com/inventor...00hd-4wd-4wd-truck-crew-cab-1gt12reg6gf221148

a800748be95d202b5943acb271c1a0f0.jpg

Last edited:

balexander87

Observer
Yep. Went and looked at this one to see if it really existed, and wasn't a fishing lure.

http://www.edmarknampa.com/inventor...-4wd-z71-4wd-truck-crew-cab-1gcptde11g1386043

$34,934 I dunno, still seems like a lot for truck that can't haul much.

26b0519fceda508e07da113a9dd2906c.jpg

Not much more and you can get a 3/4 ton. http://www.edmarknampa.com/inventor...00hd-4wd-4wd-truck-crew-cab-1gt12reg6gf221148

a800748be95d202b5943acb271c1a0f0.jpg

I think the reasoning is that there is some value, however intangible, associated with the "compact" vehicle. The load capacity of the 3/4 ton truck is traded off for the appeal of a smaller vehicle that is easier to pilot in tight areas, be it trails or an urban setting.

For example, for me, the extra size of a 3/4 ton would be less than ideal with my garage situation. And since I don't have a need for the capacity of the 3/4 ton, it isn't useful capacity to me. For me, the Colorado would be more valuable than the full-size.

njtacoma

Explorer
I posted this in another thread here, but I'm with Clutch. I had a 04 double cab tacoma and I sold it after 10 years, still low mileage, but the tradeoff in size vs economy wasn't there. I have been driving a borrowed crew cab diesel full size truck it gets the same mileage in town as my tacoma, and better on the highway. PLUS it has a ton of room.

The Chevy Colorado diesel is appealing, but the mileage isn't quite good enough to justify the smaller space in the cab. Now that the kids have experienced stretching out in the back seat of the truck I don't think they will ever want to go back to a smaller truck.

XJLI

Adventurer
How is the mileage improvement of the diesel not good enough? There are multiple outlets reporting 30+ MPG highway.

Clutch

<---Pass
I posted this in another thread here, but I'm with Clutch. I had a 04 double cab tacoma and I sold it after 10 years, still low mileage, but the tradeoff in size vs economy wasn't there. I have been driving a borrowed crew cab diesel full size truck it gets the same mileage in town as my tacoma, and better on the highway. PLUS it has a ton of room.

The Chevy Colorado diesel is appealing, but the mileage isn't quite good enough to justify the smaller space in the cab. Now that the kids have experienced stretching out in the back seat of the truck I don't think they will ever want to go back to a smaller truck.

Yeah, I can't justify the price of the midsizes anymore for what they are... I could see paying $25K for a little truck that can't haul much....but $40-50K...seems so out of line. Especially when you can get so much more truck for the same price.

Getting old I guess... ;)

I think the reasoning is that there is some value, however intangible, associated with the "compact" vehicle. The load capacity of the 3/4 ton truck is traded off for the appeal of a smaller vehicle that is easier to pilot in tight areas, be it trails or an urban setting.

For example, for me, the extra size of a 3/4 ton would be less than ideal with my garage situation. And since I don't have a need for the capacity of the 3/4 ton, it isn't useful capacity to me. For me, the Colorado would be more valuable than the full-size.

Yeah, it is all relative...but I am just not seeing the value of mid size trucks anymore, even if they get 30 mpg. For tight trail running, think you're better of on a bike, ATV, or Side X Side. ZR2 wouldn't even come close to to the off-road abilities of those.

Not that the ZR2 isn't cool, but the price of one ZR2, you could buy a 1/2 ton, trailer and a couple off-road toys.

njtacoma

Explorer
Yep, basically what Clutch said, I can have a better overall package for that money. Yes the mileage is incrementally better, but not when towing a trailer or toys. Sure the full size dips some, but I would bet the ZR2 will drop more, because it will be working near its maximum, whereas the Full-size will not, thus it may be a wash on the economy side.

I could be proven wrong, by the time I'm buying a truck next summer, we will have even more data on the new zr2 and the compact segment, so we'll see what happens.

Plus- I may end up with a dodge and a manual transmission, but I like lots of levers sticking out of the floor whether or not they are more efficient.

Clutch

<---Pass
Yep, basically what Clutch said, I can have a better overall package for that money.

yeah, that is how I look at things.. .have X amount of dollars what can I get for those X amount dollars....and me being the cheap SOB that I am, I just keep tossing it into retirement....as I already have the toys. anything new isn't going to be that much of an improvement...other than taking a ding out of the retirement fund.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Midsized is targeting lifestyle truck use. Someone who needs more load carrying ability over a Subaru, MDX, Ford explorer, honda pilot etc. And wants to still have parking ability and mileage. Thats where the midsized trucks are headed. Around here all the contractors drive compact rigs due to parking being a big issue! I grew up with big full sized rigs. Today I couldn't use one if it were given to me for free. The narrower width of the Midsized still fits the really tight parking we have. Which also is one of the largest Auto markets in the US.

You guys debating this topic who never park in public transportation lots, or have never spent 40 minutes looking for a parking spot 200+ inches long will never understand why smaller rigs have a big value in the top auto markets in the US.

If I lived in anyother place where land was cheap. Hell I'd have a F350 just to have one.

Clutch

<---Pass
Midsized is targeting lifestyle truck use. Someone who needs more load carrying ability over a Subaru, MDX, Ford explorer, honda pilot etc. And wants to still have parking ability and mileage. Thats where the midsized trucks are headed. Around here all the contractors drive compact rigs due to parking being a big issue! I grew up with big full sized rigs. Today I couldn't use one if it were given to me for free. The narrower width of the Midsized still fits the really tight parking we have. Which also is one of the largest Auto markets in the US.

You guys debating this topic who never park in public transportation lots, or have never spent 40 minutes looking for a parking spot 200+ inches long will never understand why smaller rigs have a big value in the top auto markets in the US.

If I lived in anyother place where land was cheap. Hell I'd have a F350 just to have one.

I dunno, midsizes aren't that much smaller than a 1/2 ton...maybe if we were talking about compacts I could see the advantages. Parked my 1st gen Tacoma next to a F150...yeah pretty big difference. 2nd gen Tacoma next to the F150 not so much, think the Colorados are slightly bigger than a Tacoma. Would have to look at the specs to be sure.

Test drove a new Tacoma back to back to a F150...the F150 didn't feel all that much bigger to me. Don't tell anyone, but I liked the F150 better.

Glad I live in Idaho....see an awful lot of 1 tons used as dailys... :D If I lived a big city (which I never will) but if I did, would use public transportation and a bicycle. Don't have to deal with parking at all then! The ex is from the Bay area, you don't even need a car there. Maybe for weekend excursions. We would ride bicycles over to the train into the city, then use buses when we got to San Fran, no stress of dealing with traffic or trying to find parking. It was really nice.

The little town where we live now, we are within bicycle distance from just about everything we need. Her work, coffee shop, bank, pharmacy, hardware store...and even have 3 grocery stores among other things that are within a 1.5 mile radius of the house. Recently bought a Kona UTE for running in town errands. I get like 100 miles per burrito on that thing! ;)

I just have to commute 30 minutes into the city for work....so when I retire don't even really need a vehicle where we are, just need one for getting out into the back country.

Last edited:

calicamper

Expedition Leader
The midisized rigs are the same width as my Subaru. Actually narrower than the new Pilot, highlander etc by a smidge. The F150 is a wide rig. I just took the kids to SF yesterday. Rode BART. It took two trips around the lot to find a spot we could wedge into. I had to laugh there was one full sized Dodge truck and a sequoia just like mine circling the lot trying to find a spot they could wedge into.

12yrs living in SF and a rental there having a vehicle is still nice. Length in SF is a factor. 190 inches was our max length out front in SF. Commuter and other parking lots width is a big issue. 74inches wide is about the sweet spot. Any wider and your passing up tight spots you simply cant get into and out of.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven