2020 Overland Explorer Vehicles (OEV) CAMP-X pop-up slide-in pickup camper (renamed "Back Country" as of 2023)

PaulPritchard

ArizonaPaul
Where did you get the hooks for the L track? Nice set up.
31unF-Cqs-L._AC_.jpg

Thanks. Cargo Equipment Corp via Amazon; small size.

Chadx

♫ Off the road again. Just can't wait to get...
31unF-Cqs-L._AC_.jpg

Thanks. Cargo Equipment Corp via Amazon; small size.

Took a few searches to find them, so for everyone's clicking pleasure...https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MW8RNWY/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A2S5B6THPJKA58&psc=1
(Odd. The site converts my link to blank if I make it a clickable link. Sorry, you'll have to copy and paste)

I love the idea of Ltrack. Our CAMP-X has no MOLLE rack and I don't see the need to add it, but been thinking of adding some strips of L track which would allow me to add on some things without the expense/need for a full MOLLE panel. Hardest part for me is mentally overcoming my hang up on envelope penetrations (drug my feet on adding rooftop solar for the longest time because of that. Ha.

Last edited:

Ninelitetrip

L track supplier and accessories.

Even have small length L track as anchor points.

Chadx

Yea, drilling and tapping threads into the aluminum extrusions is what makes me a might nervous. It's the best spot and what the factory MOLLE panels bolt into, and is how all the add-on L track is being mounted. I have not reached out to OEV and asked if the composite panes would support X amount of weight if one affixed the L track through them. Maybe sandwiched the composite between both inside and outside L track so you have L tracks both inside and outside. Or add additional strip of backer for a larger footprint. Weight would probably be more limited than tapping threads into extrusion, but if one was going to put on light things like hooks, trash carrier, shovel vs something heavy like rotopax/Jerry cans, propane tanks, bicycles, etc. Haven't thought it through enough at this point to ask OEV. I'm sure they first recommend installing their MOLLE panels and if not those, then drilling and tapping into the extrusions rather than bolting/supporting racks only through the panels. Though they very well may take the weight/bouncing of some applications, the next thing you know, someone will mount a spare tire to a bracket only supported by the panel and without adequate backer plate and tear up the panel.

Last edited:

Ninelitetrip

Back in 2021 mix flip on YT spoke with Arnold. Starts around 8:15

He talks about the panels and strength around 15:00

Exoskeleton is 5052 Aluminum

Chadx

Nice core sampel
I had the pleasure of drilling a large hole in my CAMP-X for an exterior outlet. This is what a panel cross-section looks like.

Nice 'core sample'. I assume it's a 120v outlet coming off your inverter? Would be interested in seeing which outlet you chose and where you located it (to keep grime out of it and still be convenient). I don't have a inverter in our CAMP-X, but am getting to the point where I've thought through it's placement and use cases and an exterior 120v outlet would definitely be part of that. I'd mostly be using it to charge boat trolling motor batteries, electric dirtbike, eMTB, etc. but would also be handy for other around-camp needs or could even supply limited home power-outage backup duties. To avoid an inverter, I've also considered a heavy duty DC outlet and then I'd use a dedicated DC-DC converters, which would be more efficient, but necessitate the use of a DC-DC converter with variable/adjustable voltage output since all my battery charging needs are various voltages (24v, 56v, etc.)
Please elaborate on your 120v outlet install and use case. I'm interested! Thanks.

MisterSmith

Nice 'core sample'. I assume it's a 120v outlet coming off your inverter? Would be interested in seeing which outlet you chose and where you located it (to keep grime out of it and still be convenient). I don't have a inverter in our CAMP-X, but am getting to the point where I've thought through it's placement and use cases and an exterior 120v outlet would definitely be part of that. I'd mostly be using it to charge boat trolling motor batteries, electric dirtbike, eMTB, etc. but would also be handy for other around-camp needs or could even supply limited home power-outage backup duties. To avoid an inverter, I've also considered a heavy duty DC outlet and then I'd use a dedicated DC-DC converters, which would be more efficient, but necessitate the use of a DC-DC converter with variable/adjustable voltage output since all my battery charging needs are various voltages (24v, 56v, etc.)
Please elaborate on your 120v outlet install and use case. I'm interested! Thanks.

I needed an external 120v outlet and wanted it near the back for easy access.

20230519_191737s.jpg

$18.97 on Amazon

eBike charging and Starlink are the main uses for my inverter.

Ninelitetrip

Yea, drilling and tapping threads into the aluminum extrusions is what makes me a might nervous. It's the best spot and what the factory MOLLE panels bolt into, and is how all the add-on L track is being mounted. I have not reached out to OEV and asked if the composite panes would support X amount of weight if one affixed the L track through them. Maybe sandwiched the composite between both inside and outside L track so you have L tracks both inside and outside. Or add additional strip of backer for a larger footprint. Weight would probably be more limited than tapping threads into extrusion, but if one was going to put on light things like hooks, trash carrier, shovel vs something heavy like rotopax/Jerry cans, propane tanks, bicycles, etc. Haven't thought it through enough at this point to ask OEV. I'm sure they first recommend installing their MOLLE panels and if not those, then drilling and tapping into the extrusions rather than bolting/supporting racks only through the panels. Though they very well may take the weight/bouncing of some applications, the next thing you know, someone will mount a spare tire to a bracket only supported by the panel and without adequate backer plate and tear up the panel.

I spoke to Arnold. He said the L track is attached to the extrusion by drilling to the depth of the extrusion only, no need to go into the panel, fill the hole with Sikaflex, and use 3/8 th cap screws.

He was there with his personal rig, and there was a customer with an HB. The HB had L track installed on the extrusions.

sumnrfam

Just got back from a seven-day, 2,000 mile trip from Arizona through New Mexico to Texas and Big Bend National Park. The Camp-X was flawless despite surviving a severe thunderstorm with hail, very strong winds, and five hours of rain.

Thought I would post pictures of our Molle panel with new attachments - thanks to the Molle nuts from MisterSmith. I attached two L-Tracks to the driver side panel, from which I can attach / detach different devices, like hooks to stow away the ladder while on the move or wet towels when camping.

I use the passenger-side panel for traction boards and gas for the portable fire ring.

Awesome Job!

Shawn M

Well, I need to replace the fan. Can anyone recommend a tape and sealant for installing the new fan? Also, it appears some of the interior screws holding the existing fan are not biting into the panels very well. Basically stripped out of the panel?? Is there an epoxy or something I can use to fill in the whole and re-tap? Or maybe screw into wet epoxy and let it setup? I'm surprised screws hold up very well in these panels.

ITTOG

Most use butyl tape and then a UV compliant caulking. I am not a fan of butyl tape so I like to use an adhesive. My new adhesive I like is Sikaflex 252. If I were going to tape the topside it would be Eterna-bond.

On the screw hole it depends what you are screwing into. If wood, fill the hole with wood glue and toothpicks. Or epoxy instead of wood glue. If metal, you will have to tap it.

Shawn M

The screws will go into the panel material of the Camp-X, the foam core panels. Existing screws that attach the fan to the foam core on the inside of the camper are loose, so when I remove the existing fan, I know there will be very little for the new screws to bite into when I install the new fan into the Camp-X foam core panels. I'm curious if I should fill the old screw holes with epoxy prior to screwing the new screws into the foam core panels on the interior to attach the new fan.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DQblues