2021 RAM 3500 Tradesman | AEV Prospector | FWC Grandby

ramblinChet

Today is the day that I will report my failure and lessons learned during my recent attempt of the Organs Loop trail just outside of Las Cruces, New Mexico. Here is a view of the 97-mile trail as found on Gravelmap.

The trail did not appear to be anything out of the ordinary so I performed just a bit of research. The only information I was able to locate appeared to be notes from motorcyclists which included, "that's a lot of climbing, I wanna there" and "I did the southern segment of this loop last week. I highly suggest >= 45 or 2 inch+ tires. I poorly routed my loop and ended up hiking through the desert for hours. Cat 1-3 gravel, sand, and clay-dirt. Stunning and vast views."
OL 01.jpg

Let's first back up and set the stage. Following my recent completion of the Cheeseburger Loop in Texas, Panhandle Adventure Trail in Florida, and Georgia Adventure Trail in Georgia - it felt as if I were back in the groove and looking forward to much fun in New Mexico and Arizona. All was going well - my AEV Prospector was serviced and although I had not completed a few additional modifications I was carrying the parts and tools and planned to complete these non-critical upgrades in the desert.
OL 02.jpg

When I rolled into Las Cruces, New Mexico, I was smiling so hard mt cheeks hurt. I found some great local food, gassed up my rig with at a TOP TIER Fuel Station, as I always do, and was ready for adventure. I noticed the Prehistoric Trackways National Monument was just outside of town so I decided to go spend the afternoon out there exploring some of the trails, searching for fossils, and just relaxing in the warm sun.
OL 03.jpg

The trail were lightly used and a bit on the rough side compared to those back east which were mostly dirt, clay, or small gravel. I was still at my 45 psi street pressure and just took my time - the ride was not that bad although I would have benefited from airing down. This was a short trail though and I was spending more time relaxing compared to exploring.
OL 04.jpg

Late in the afternoon I figured it would be a great time to shower up and change into some fresh clothes. I was just under a mile-high and there was no one else around so I stripped down, showered up, and dried off in the warm sun. Later, I fixed some dinner and decided to exit the area and head over to Organs Loop which was just a few miles to the west.
OL 05.jpg

Arriving at the trail I proceeded in a clockwise direction not realizing I had already made a few fatal mistakes. It was dark and I would be attempting a trail I was unfamiliar with. Add to that the fact that many of my recent adventures had been back east so my expectations regarding potential difficulty were somewhat skewed. I was also running street pressure and during the first few miles in on paved roads...I asked myself, when will the fun begin. Be careful what you ask for.

The trail became very rough only moments later with a wide assortment of fist and cantaloupe sized rocks, everywhere. Sure, some were smaller, but others were larger with some being like a soccer ball or small watermelon. I attempted to convince myself that the trail could only be like this for a short amount of time.
OL 06.jpg

Three miles in things became even worse as I began to drop in and climb out of steep gullies. This was not what I had been expecting. I began one climb in two-wheel drive and experienced much tire slip so I shifted into four-wheel drive. As I began the climb again in the loose fist-sized rock my progress halted and the front end began to pull over to one side. Gravity was not going to give me a break tonight and not I had myself in an interesting predicament. I was all alone, without cellular service, it was dark, I was not able to move forward, and did I mention I had earlier identified signs of illegal aliens passing along the trail?

I stopped to consider where I was and what I had done. It was time for me to set my pride aside and scrub this mission. As I backed down and backed up things went from bad to worse. I was climbing a narrow shelf-road and although I had my rear camera, even it was not enough in these conditions. During this process I scraped the harmonic balancer on my rear driveshaft on one of the larger rocks and now it was free. I walked the trail to locate the strip of rubber that is part of the assembly and then tied the ring back on the nose of the differential using zip ties. Time to tuck my tail and limp off the trail. This may note have been a significant failure but it was a clear sign that things were moving in the wrong direction and I better slow down and move away from this area.
OL 07.jpg

After scrubbing the mission I performed additional review and decided to cancel it entirely. Maybe someday I would reattempt but for now I would roll into Silver City, New Mexico, and relax for the day. This was a fin little town and I am looking forward to visiting again and staying even longer.
OL 08.jpg

Here is some colorful art painted on a wall downtown that I enjoyed while eating ice-cream after lunch.
OL 09.jpg

I am back on the road and heading in the direction of Sedona to meet friends and knock down some beautiful trails in the area.
OL 10.jpg

ramblinChet

I am glad you made it out safely. No shame in "retreating" when out alone. Stunning pictures otherwise. Do you feel this was more the unknown or did your truck did not meet the challenge and you would need even more clearance?

Looking at this as objectively as possible it seems like 90% of the problem can be attributed to my failure to perform the necessary research while also deciding to attempt the unfamiliar trail at night, alone. I am leaving 10% open for the possibility that the truck may not be capable of completing that particular trail although at this point, that is the great unknown.

Based upon the research I have conducted after the fact, I am unaware of anyone else ever completing the trail on a motorcycle, side-by-side, Jeep, or truck. If anyone in the Las Cruces area has a side-by-side or Jeep I would love to hear more about the trail although at this point I am not sure if I will attempt it again in my rig anytime soon.

DTAdventure

Looking at this as objectively as possible it seems like 90% of the problem can be attributed to my failure to perform the necessary research while also deciding to attempt the unfamiliar trail at night, alone. I am leaving 10% open for the possibility that the truck may not be capable of completing that particular trail although at this point, that is the great unknown.

Based upon the research I have conducted after the fact, I am unaware of anyone else ever completing the trail on a motorcycle, side-by-side, Jeep, or truck. If anyone in the Las Cruces area has a side-by-side or Jeep I would love to hear more about the trail although at this point I am not sure if I will attempt it again in my rig anytime soon.
Yeah, that is what scares me - arriving somewhere late in the day and then trying to find camp in a situation like yours. I think you did well the way you did and bailed. Your rig looks very much capable of doing that trail under better circumstances.

ramblinChet

As I worked my way north-west out of Silver City, New Mexico, I began to enter the Gila National Forest which then slowly turned into the Apache-Sitgreaves National Forests. You may wonder why I pass by some areas or spend time in others - very good question. The reason I travel this way is because I like to leave areas undiscovered so next time I am in the area, I have something new to explore. Yes, there is so much to see and learn about but I simply enjoy the somewhat random wandering.

So, as I am driving along I notice a sign for the Petrified Forest National Park and I immediately think back to my childhood and seeing a picture of a petrified tree in elementary school. As I fuel up and take time to search iOverlander and notice a free camping area at the southern entrance to the park. Perfect, I am as good as there. I met some cool guys driving a Sportsmobile Classic 4x4, which I toured Washington in a few year ago, along with others in trucks with hard-side campers.

As the sun rose I pulled up to the gate the moment it opened and the fun soon began. For those Power Wagon lovers I am happy to report that one of the official vehicles at the park was a RAM Tradesman which included the Power Wagon package. A perfect ride for the area!
PFNP 01.jpg

They has Westin HDX grill guards, Rigid LED light bars, along with lights and radios, but were otherwise stock. This was parked near one of the trails which permitted you to walk out into the various sections to see the petrified wood up close. I guess there is a huge problem with people stealing petrified wood which is unfortunate. If this continues then eventually there will be none left for future generations to see. It was easy to see the fresh breaks on some of the logs where someone had stole a piece.
PFNP 02.jpg

My only wish while taking these pictures and writing this is that you could have been there to observe this breathtaking beauty in person. I have never given a second though to visiting a petrified forest but right now I can say that one day I will return and I will take even longer. The drive through the park is only twenty-eight miles from north to south and if you stop at a few of the observation areas I guess you can pass through in half a day. For me it took closer to a full day and if I had someone else with me my guess is I would have spent a full day, or possibly longer, at the site.
PFNP 03.jpg

Here is a piece of petrified wood - as you may be expecting me to say, the picture does it no justice. The various colors in the crystal are created by contaminants such as: iron oxides (red, yellow, orange, and purple), manganese oxides (black and grey), or pure quartz (white). Whenever I see the words white and pure in close proximity, I always wonder why most brides still wear a white dress, which historically represented purity and innocence. How very far we have fallen - myself included.
PFNP 04.jpg

Visiting the Petrified Forest National Park is kind of like a two for one special since it also contains the south-east corner of the Painted Desert. I stood speechless after taking this picture...
PFNP 05.jpg

During one of my stops I noticed a raven hanging around my AEV Prospector and Four Wheel Pop-up Camper. I watched and he realized I was watching - it was funny. He actually tried getting into my camper through the fan on top. Since I was taking my time I decided to be a bit playful and talk with him. As I walked and talked he replied. Nature is funny.
PFNP 06.jpg

This was taken with my phone camera being held in my hand so you have an idea of just how close this raven was - I laid down and this curious bird flew down to see just what I was up to. My late father had a relationship with ravens also. The people there must have thought I was crazy but if you know me, I truly don't give a damn what others think of me - I am a free man, take it or leave it, I'll just be myself. Thank you. What's even funnier is I swear this same bird followed me to several other stops along the way. Maybe I am wrong, or maybe I am crazy, lol.
PFNP 07.jpg

These hills speak and tell a story. The only sound was sound was the occasional light wind through - it was very quiet. If you have not been west of the Mississippi, you must visit the area. Every time I visit I tell myself I will eventually move out here and I believe some day I will. When I was a boy I remember my father sharing stories about his time spent in the Nevada desert. He did his best to explain but there are no words which accurately describe the feeling out west. He concluded that I just need to visit and see for myself. Dad, you were correct, once again.
PFNP 08.jpg

Up at the north end of the park is the area where old Route 66 passed through. I have been around the world and there is not another country I have visited that is even close to these United States. If you are considering exploring you should already be on the road doing so. I am here to tell you that playing by society's rules and conforming to these new strange plans such as school, work, consume, family, consume, and death, will leave you lying on your deathbed wishing you had lived a very different life.

The people who purchased this car when it was new are forgotten, their car is now junk. Their grandchildren knew a bit about them, their great-grandchildren really have no idea who they were or what they stood for, or what they did. The successive generations may see them as a picture on the wall and not even know their names. All of their property will either be owned by someone else or decaying in a landfill. They have been forgotten by all except God. Stop working like a slave to purchase expensive items which are slowly transformed into rubbish that no one wants. Stop planning to do something soon, or next year. Lean forward and break the rules - live life and create memories.

And in the streets, the children screamed
The lovers cried and the poets dreamed
But not a word was spoken
The church bells all were broken
And the three men I admire most
The Father, Son, and the Holy Ghost
They caught the last train for the coast
The day the music died

And they were singin', "Bye-bye, Miss American Pie"

PFNP 09.jpg

Last edited:

ramblinChet

Part 1 of 2

Next on the list was a trail selected by Dennis, a buddy of mine from Delaware, who I have been sharing trails around the country with for around five years. The trail he selected was the Sedona Backcountry Trail as found on Overland Trail Guides. This 250+ mile trail should take four to seven days and is composed of "graded dirt roads, and occasional rocky Jeep track." In my opinion it was a very nice trail with a mixture of conditions in addition to a wide variety of scenery.

As described on OTG, "Explore the Red Rocks and allure of Sedona's canyon country. Deep into the mountains and overlooking Sedona and the Verde Valley region, the Sedona Backcountry Trail provides the perfect mix of recreation, relaxation and rejuvenation."

SED 01.jpg

Our initial heading was east as we departed Sedona and began the rocky climb up Schnebly Hill and into the Coconino National Forest. The trail here is busy and bumpy and even aired down you are usually only moving along at 2-3 mph while dodging pink Jeeps. It was interesting to crawl behind a load of tourists and what I noticed is there always seemed to be one who was really interested in studying this AEV Prospector and Four Wheel Camper combination. Even more surprising, the majority of time it was a female. It is exciting to know that more are becoming curious of the overland lifestyle and it is my belief that the "trend" here in these United States is still in its infancy.
SED 02.jpg

This is a majestic view of the red rocks of Sedona from an overlook near the top of Schnebly Hill. This is approximately where the pink Jeeps stop and unload before turning back down the hill. It was also a point along the trail where our pace picked up slightly. The opening of the Sedona Backcountry Trail is slow and rough so I would highly recommend airing down for comfort. I climbed out in two-wheel drive with barely a slip.
SED 03.jpg

Yeah, after nearly 55,000 miles on my BF Goodrich All Terrain KO2s, I am exceptionally happy with their performance. They are a premium tire which other companies use a benchmark and after two years of use and abuse, I fully understand why. In case you are interested, during normal driving I inflate the tires to 3 atm, or 45 psi, according to the sticker placed in my door jamb by AEV. If the trail has some rocks and is occasionally rough for short sections, and there are other short sections where I will be on paved road for a few miles, I will run at 2 atm. If I find myself on a trail that is over 100 miles long and there will be extended sections where it will be rough, I run them at 1 atm.
SED 04.jpg

This trail may not appear to be too rough but after a dozen miles you will re-calibrate your thoughts and be happy with the flex and sidewall strength of an aired down premium tire. I would not have felt as comfortable running a cheaper tire since I would have been concerned with damaging a belt or sidewall. Select a great tire and minimize your risk on the trail.
SED 05.jpg

As expected, we came across a few downed trees and a few sections where the standing trees were so close together we were not able to navigate our adventure vehicles between them. Dennis and I both are comfortable with only an inch or so on each side before our campers impact the trees but some areas were just too tight. One in particular forced us to double back although we located an excellent camping site because of that.
SED 06.jpg

If you follow the route in an anti-clockwise direction, as designed, make sure to top off your fuel tank when crossing Interstate 17 near Kachina Village. There is only one fuel station there and it seems too early but once you begin to venture west it will be a very long time before you are anywhere near a fuel station again. It was really cool to be wandering through the mountains and then to roll into these high grasslands.
SED 07.jpg

Fires are a major concern out west when compared to the forests back east. The trails were different, we were at much higher elevations (5,000-7,000 feet), and there were somewhat different concerns. All I can say is just be responsible out there, be sure you completely extinguish all fires, and pack out your trash. Burning plastics and metals in a fire is not disposing of trash in a responsible way. Many of the fire pits we came upon had garbage in them. I am not tree hugger but I don't think its asking too much to at a minimum, leave an area in the same condition as then you arrived.
SED 08.jpg

One of the nicest things was to come upon camp site surrounded with downed trees just begging to be cut up and split. We had so much firewood we left quite a bit for the next adventurer. Dennis has an electric chainsaw which I am totally sold on - maybe if they have a sale soon I will finally pick one up. After cutting the logs I took off my shirt and began grunting a performing that strange male ritual where we swing heavy things with a sharp end and make big chunks of wood into smaller pieces. It really felt good swinging my Fiskars X25 Splitting Axe and blowing apart wood.
SED 09.jpg

My final picture was taken at a spot where I stopped on the trail and watched Dennis and his wife disappear into the distance. First I lost sight of them, then the sounds they were making were absorbed by the silent forest, and then they were gone. It's nice to be in a group in the forest but then again, it's also nice to be alone. I enjoy stopping at a beautiful place and catching up later. This moment was so peaceful, so beautiful, so natural, so...real. The picture you see is an electronic image - it is false. The reason you will never feel the same feeling I felt when I was alone in the forest is because it is impossible. I can share pictures, tell a story, but all of that falls short.

I take these photographs and write these paragraphs to inspire others to begin truly living life. I hope my children will someday stumble upon this collection after I am long gone, and they may decide to visit the same places, and feel the same feelings. For the average person you have approximately 4,000 weeks of life to live. How many do you have left and how will you spend them?

I have decided to live life and ignore the false promises of the ruling class...
SED 10.jpg

FAW3

Adventurer
An excellent informative series of reports. The tech talk and actual trip documentation is very useful. The great photos are just a bonus. Thank you for the effort!

I'm looking forward to next Spring...going to do a month or so out West. My initial target is Amarillo (was an AF brat...we were stationed there) and then generally northwest.

ramblinChet

Part 2 of 2

This is a continuation of my previous post on the Sedona Backcountry Trail.

At this point we were approximately half way through this 250+ mile trail and really enjoying the adventure. We were still in the Kaibab National Forest and it was easy to find camping spots large enough for both of our trucks and wood was plentiful. The nights were just slightly on the cool side so a fire was perfect. We had initially planned to meet in Arizona in September but my schedule forced us to slip to November which we both felt was really pushing the limits of good weather. As it turned out, the first few weeks of November were absolutely perfect temperatures during the day and night.
SED 11.jpg

I was our lead navigator and I used Gaia GPS on my factory Uconnect 4 with 8.4" touchscreen. The map layer I use most often is the Gaia Topo and one of the details I like is the fact it shows the locations of springs. Although the trail had been dry we encountered this wet area near a spring so I took the opportunity to assess the conditions and drive through in two-wheel drive without spinning an all-terrain tire. Dennis was running a hybrid AT/MT and opted to engage his Atlas transfer case and crawl through without slipping either.
SED 12.jpg

We stopped by Sycamore Falls for a short hike and sightseeing. The geological formation here was much different compared to what we had been experiencing the past several days and was a pleasant surprise. During my adventures I always make an effort to schedule in short hikes each day although I have much room for improvement. Navigating a trail for most of the day coupled with breaking down and setting up camp, add in a few meals, and maybe a stop here or there...exploring can become busy. My target goal is to incorporate a total of one hour of walking in per day.
SED 13.jpg

Amidst all the grey rock and brown trees was some interesting green growth on a few of the rocks in the area. It stood out to such a degree that it appeared to be out of place in the midst of everything else. With the sunlight hitting parts, this bright color was quite attractive. Again, the seemingly randomized natural beauty of nature simply can not be duplicated.
SED 14.jpg

Here was a mistake in the making. We had been on relatively flat roads for quite some time and Dennis wanted to spice things up after lunch so he selected a four-digit forest service road to have some fun on. While talking over our radios I made sure to confirm that based upon my map, this was a high-clearance 4x4 road and looking out in front of me, it was barely visible and appeared to be unused for an extended period.

I suggested Dennis lead if he wanted to tackle this trail and early on all seemed fine. It didn't take long until it began to become a guessing game of where the actual trail was and I began to feel a bit uncomfortable. A short time later Dennis halted forward progress and stepped out to scout ahead - I jumped out also and after searching high and low, it appeared that we had wandered slightly off of a seldom used trail. Dennis spotted a connecting road just a hundred meters or so away but it would be necessary to clear a path of some small trees and bushes. I strongly suggested that our best choice was to double back and get out the same way we came in. It was longer but I was against cutting or running over anything unless it was an emergency. We had made a mistake exploring this trail and it was long past the time to correcting it.
SED 15.jpg

Continuing south we dropped down into the Prescott National Forest and were simply stunned by the rapid change in scenery. Within just a few hours we went from a forested area to wide open high-desert where everything seemed to be miles away. Honestly, if you are looking for one trail which will show you the many different faces of Arizona, I would recommend the Sedona Backcountry Trail be placed on your short list. Along this part of the trail we enjoyed shelf-roads and stopping into the former mining town of Jerome complete with a nearby ghost town.
SED 16.jpg

Here we are running the power lines north of Cottonwood, Arizona late at night. If you are interested in this trail I would strongly suggest you top off your tanks in Cottonwood as there no more opportunities to fuel up until you arrive back in Sedona. It was fun to travel at night and exercise our off-road lights although the reason we were traveling so late was not planned.

When we stopped to fuel up I began talking with a German family (ourlifeisaholiday) exploring these United States in a really cool vehicle. It is common for me to strike up conversations although this time was somewhat different since Dennis and his wife elected not to join in. Dennis departed after mentioning they were "heading to the first place on the right that we saw driving in" for dinner and I figured I would catch up in a few minutes. Minutes later I departed and drove to the location Dennis mentioned and they were not there so I called out on the radio and received no reply. After a few more attempts I tried calling Dennis' phone but there was no answer. I then began driving up and down the road we came into town on, stopping at every restaurant, and still was unable to find them. Finally, with very broken communication on the radio I continued to repeat "phone." Dennis had left his phone in his truck and they decided to go to a restaurant in another part of town. Dennis heard me say "phone" so he retrieved his phone, called me, and communications were reestablished.

To make the evening even more interesting, when we began to head north out of Cottonwood, all of the former disbursed campsites along the trail were marked closed along with threats of significant fines. After hours of driving we ended up parking in an approved large dirt parking lot in the middle of the desert with thirty other freedom lovers. Over the years, as this lifestyle grows, it is clear to me that our corrupt politicians and dysfunctional government bureaucrats are continually closing down camp site, access roads, and prohibiting human travel in natural areas.
SED 17.jpg

The next day most the trails were sandy and fun - we could tell we were closing in on Sedona when we began to see those beautiful red rocks, pink Jeeps, side-by-sides, etc. A nice place to stop for lunch was the Honanki Heritage Site which was more or less stones piled up near a mountain. While reading the descriptions of these "complex societies," I often consider other advancements in other areas of the world such as mechanical clocks, massive churches with stained glass, books, etc. What's so complex with regards to stacking stone and packing them with mud?
SED 18.jpg

As we closed in on Sedona there was an optional spur for high-clearance 4x4 vehicles called Devil's Bridge that ended at Vultee Arch. It was a fun trail but keep in mind that since it is close to Sedona there are many other users to include pink Jeeps, side-by-sides, hikers, etc. The trail was busy and although it was fun, it was a bit too crowded for my taste. Of course, the more crowded a trail is, the more dust there is and with the sun setting, vision can be obscured. Mix that with folks on vacation renting a side-by-side and you can see where I am going - it's a tough call but I ran with my lights on and kept a slow pace.
SED 19.jpg

We successfully completed the Sedona Backcountry Trail in four days which I consider an absolute minimum. Six or seven days would have been perfect although Dennis only had a few weeks and we wanted to knock out a number of trails together in Arizona. If you have a 4x4 vehicle you should be fine on 99% of the trail and if you come to an area that is too challenging, there is often a go-around. I must admit, it was quite fun driving an AEV Prospector into old mining towns along the way.
SED 20.jpg

Last edited:

ramblinChet

While searching for camping spots with flush toilets and hot showers you might have guessed that this naturally excludes disbursed camp sites that have no electrical or water hook ups. Since I plan on spending the winter here in the south-west and some of that time may be in campgrounds where my only choice is to pay for a site with electric I might as well take advantage of the power provided to keep my house battery charged.

On that note I performed some research and decided to purchase an extension cord manufactured by US Wire. It is a 12-gauge 25-foot rated for 15 amps at 125 volts and has a SJEOW cord jacket rated for used from -94° thru 221° Fahrenheit. Here are some of the manufacturers notes:

All US Wire cord sets are double insulated - individually insulated conductors surround by an outside jacket - with solid molded plugs. Outer jacket will not mar floors or walls and is resistant to abrasion and deterioration from moisture and sunlight.

The EXTREME All-Weather Extension Cord is constructed of 100% TPE (thermo-plastic elastomer) compound which allows the cord to stay flexible in the most extreme climates without effecting the cord's performance.

Furthermore, the TPE compound provides a lightweight, tangle-free construction to the EXTREME cord, not commonly found on most standard PVC cords. Tested in some of the harshest weather conditions in Alaska, the EXTREME All-Weather Extension Cord is designed for durability to last a lifetime.

US Wire 2.jpg
US Wire.jpg

I also watched this informative video while performing my research:

ramblinChet

Our next trail in Arizona was the Bloody Basin Trail which is a 36-mile out and back trail that should only take a single day. We decided to extend the trail and continue south to create a one way 57-mile trail which took us two days to complete. In summary, most folks stop at Sheep Bridge on the Verde River and then turn around. We decided to spend the night on sleeping on the river and then when we woke up we decided to continue south until we hit pavement. The map below displays out complete 57-mile route. PM me for the complete KML file.
BBE 01.jpg

The Bloody Basin Trail begins just off Interstate 17 (exit 259) just north of Phoenix at the entrance to the Agua Fria National Monument. Dennis located a great dispersed camp site right near the beginning of the trail so we basically woke up, enjoyed breakfast as the sun slowly rose, and hit the trail for another awesome day filled with adventure!
BBE 02.jpg

Since this "appeared" to be a short and easy trail we were not in much of a hurry and early on we stopped by Pueblo La Plata Cultural Site to explore the ruins. Earlier, we noticed many nearby dirt parking lots were filled with tow vehicles and side-by-sides. These vehicles are optimized for high speed travel over rough terrain so it was not unusual for us to pull to the side so groups were able to pass. What we didn't realize is that only the first five miles of Bloody Basin are maintained and beyond that the road becomes rough and progress slows significantly.
BBE 03.jpg

Miles later when we began to hit the rough section that would extend until the end we began to notice the toll the rough road took on other vehicles. We took notice of three broken vehicles along the way. This one was abandoned after being used in a training exercise for vehicle ambushes - just kidding. Miles later a full sized truck was pulled off to the side of the road with the front end on jackstands and one of the front tires removed. It appeared the front axle shaft had broken and my guess is the owner would return soon to complete the repair. Another newer SUV was pulled off to the side and buried in the sand with large parts strewn about - like the rear hatch assembly.
BBE 04.jpg

Spending time along the border in Texas I am accustomed to seeing Prickly Pear Cactus but this might have been the first time I came face-to-face with Saguaro Cactus. Here I was out in the desert, acting like a child - looking at these strange plants and wondering all about them. Maybe it was watching the Road Runner and Wile E Coyote in "Cactus If You Can" or "The Duke," John Wayne in El Dorado, but I think cacti are pretty cool.
BBE 05.jpg

Near the end of the day we came upon the Verde River deep in the Tonto National Forest. Since the ride in was much slower than anticipated we decided to unpack and spend the night at this location. I noticed an area across the river that looked great as a campsite so I took the opportunity to cross and scout the area.
BBE 06.jpg

Early the next morning I decided to take a walk before breakfast and enjoy the sunrise. The night before a family had been on the shore fishing and listening to music together. It's always nice to see parents and their children out having fun in nature. One of my biggest regrets as a young father with a stay-at-home mother was working far too many hours believing I was doing something good for my ex-wife and children. I deeply regret not breaking away earlier from the work and consume mentality and not just taking my family out into the wild to live and play. If you have a family, and especially children, get out and explore the outdoors this weekend. Just do it.
BBE 07.jpg

The road south of Sheep Bridge on the Verde River was quite smooth and travel was fast and easy. And for those who are curious, yes - the bridge was built around a century ago so sheep were able to cross the river. Here is a shot with my AEV Prospector in the lead and Dennis' Power Wagon picking up the rear amidst a sea of cacti.
BBE 08.jpg

Near the very end we had one final water crossing which was shallow but interesting. For just a minute it felt like I was crawling through a jungle. The plants were not heavy and it was almost like they were cleaning away the dust prior to us jumping back onto the paved road - it was a nice ending to two wonderful days of exploration.
BBE 09.jpg

Here is one final shot of me playing in the Verde River. Remember to scout a river crossing prior to attempting - taking your trousers off and getting your legs wet is a small price to pay compared to a hydro-locked engine or a vehicle totaled because it was submerged. Brief the crossing and have recovery gear readily available - only cross one vehicle at a time. . Shift into low range and use second or third gear to keep your engine RPMs up as you cross at 3-5 MPH. Your goal is to create and maintain a bow wave in front of you while crossing. When your crossing is complete, inspect your vehicle for any water intrusion.
BBE 10.jpg

Last edited:

ramblinChet

This is what an ARB tire inflator looks like after being driven over at camp. The inflator was part of an ARB twin motor portable 12v air compressor and was left on top of a tire while breaking down the compressor, wrapping up the air line, etc. Unfortunately, none of us noticed and as we were departing camp, the inflator rolled off the tire as the vehicle backed up and was driven over. Surprisingly, the inflator still works as advertised and that includes the bent gauge.
BBE DEN.jpg

Since I am in the process of designing and installing a complete onboard air system I though this would be a great time to make my final decision on some of the components and place orders. My goal is always to strike a balance between rugged industrial parts, their associated prices, and how much do I really require the heavy duty parts. By default, I lean towards the safer side of any decision since I never know where I'll be in a year.

With that in mind I selected a Milton Single Head Air Chuck Inflator Gauge. If you have spent any time in an industrial setting or automotive garage it is highly likely you have seen one of these. It has a full swivel chuck head so it will clip on to the valve stem and I also selected this specific one with a three-foot hose so I am able to stand near the tire as it inflates. As I grow older many of my injuries from my younger years are becoming increasingly worse so I am doing my best to preserve what still remains.
MIL 00.jpg

Look at that beautiful heavy duty EPDM rubber hose which two braids for kink resistance and will remain flexible in extreme temperatures. Maximum working pressure is 250 psi and burst pressure is 1,000 psi.
MIL 01.jpg

The internal gauge ranges from 10-160 psi in two pound increments. This will easily put me in the ballpark and then I will use my Longacre Racing Products Magnum 3-1/2" tire gauge for final adjustment.
MIL 02.jpg

I am not much of a fan of gauges on air inflators but I expect this one will be just fine for my application.
MIL 03.jpg

Here is that magnificent 7/16"-27 TPI UNS single head grip air chuck. I strongly considered the Kwik Grip Safety Inflator Gauge although while researching the product I found many examples of the chuck only being useful on exceptionally long tire stems.
MIL 04.jpg

While perusing the Milton site I also searched through their many blow gun options and decided on this Safety Blow Gun and 10" Extension. When I pull into a camp site after spending 100+ miles on a dusty trail it is very nice to use onboard air to blow the dirt and dust off the rear of the camper. Another use is opening the rear door and blowing out sand and dirt off the floor of the camper. There are many other models ranging from four to fifteen inches. She gets all excited when she begs for my big ten inch.
MIL 05.jpg

Receipt for records.
MIL REC.jpg

Last edited:

givemethewillys

Jonathan Chouinard
This is what an ARB tire inflator looks like after being driven over at camp. The inflator was part of an ARB twin motor portable 12v air compressor and was left on top of a tire while breaking down the compressor, wrapping up the air line, etc. Unfortunately, none of us noticed and as we were departing camp, the inflator rolled off the tire as the vehicle backed up and was driven over. Surprisingly, the inflator still works as advertised and that includes the bent gauge.
View attachment 808787

Since I am in the process of designing and installing a complete onboard air system I though this would be a great time to make my final decision on some of the components and place orders. My goal is always to strike a balance between rugged industrial parts, their associated prices, and how much do I really require the heavy duty parts. By default, I lean towards the safer side of any decision since I never know where I'll be in a year.

With that in mind I selected a Milton Single Head Air Chuck Inflator Gauge. If you have spent any time in an industrial setting or automotive garage it is highly likely you have seen one of these. It has a full swivel chuck head so it will clip on to the valve stem and I also selected this specific one with a three-foot hose so I am able to stand near the tire as it inflates. As I grow older many of my injuries from my younger years are becoming increasingly worse so I am doing my best to preserve what still remains.
View attachment 808788

Look at that beautiful heavy duty EPDM rubber hose which two braids for kink resistance and will remain flexible in extreme temperatures. Maximum working pressure is 250 psi and burst pressure is 1,000 psi.
View attachment 808789

The internal gauge ranges from 10-160 psi in two pound increments. This will easily put me in the ballpark and then I will use my Longacre Racing Products Magnum 3-1/2" tire gauge for final adjustment.
View attachment 808790

I am not much of a fan of gauges on air inflators but I expect this one will be just fine for my application.
View attachment 808791

Here is that magnificent 7/16"-27 TPI UNS single head grip air chuck. I strongly considered the Kwik Grip Safety Inflator Gauge although while researching the product I found many examples of the chuck only being useful on exceptionally long tire stems.
View attachment 808792

While perusing the Milton site I also searched through their many blow gun options and decided on this Safety Blow Gun and 10" Extension. When I pull into a camp site after spending 100+ miles on a dusty trail it is very nice to use onboard air to blow the dirt and dust off the rear of the camper. Another use is opening the rear door and blowing out sand and dirt off the floor of the camper. There are many other models ranging from four to fifteen inches. She gets all excited when she begs for my big ten inch.
View attachment 808793

Receipt for records.
View attachment 808794
I have a Milton tire inflator in my shop and love it. Wish I had gotten the one with the clip-on inflator though - it seems like half the time I use it I need 3 hands.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle