265/75/16 with a .75" spacer?

Lilbluerunner

Adventurer
I have a '06 LJ Rubi that is bone stock. I am wanting to add new tires since the factory MT/Rs are starting to show their age. I don't want to lift it anymore that I need to to fit a 32" size tire. I've been down the road of lifting Jeeps before and know the can of worms that you open when you lift them more than 3-4". I like how my Jeep drives stock I just want a little taller tire to keep the belly from dragging on the occasional trail. My LJ is mostly pavement duty with the intention of a light duty overland rig. I have a Bantam TC-3 that I will be pulling full of camping gear with it.

My question is this, will 265/75/16s clear with just a .75" spacer lift and stock rims? I guess worst case I put the spacers on, buy new tires and they rub a little at full stuff? I am a huge fan of big tires/low lift builds but I don't want to tear the fenders off of the Jeep or slice up $1000 worth of tires on the fenders either.

kayadog

Adventurer
I'm not sure about the 265/75r16's-- I've never had an LJ or TJ-- but have you considered 235/85r16? Taller and skinnier and will most likely fit.

mmmm gas

Here is my TJ X with the 265/75/16 tires on Rubicon rims. my lift is a little more than you are asking about(2.25 front 2.0 rear,both spacers) but it might help you out. I also have flat flares which makes it look a little more open in the wheel well.
expjeep.jpg

aajeepcoffee.jpg

Lilbluerunner

Adventurer
Well discount tire is running a special today and tomorrow of buy 4 Goodyears get $100 rebate. Use your Care Car One credit card and it's doubled. I ordered the 265/75/16 in Duratracs. If they do rub I can add a 1.25" body lift also.

1stDeuce

Explorer
I ran 285's for a while with about 1" of lift. It worked, but with the sway bar pulled, the tires really chewed on the front fender flanges when stuffed. I ended up adding a 3/4" body lift (To run a Nth Tummy Tucker) in the end, and I'm running Nth rear spring relocators and 1" front spacers. No spaced jounce bumpers, and no contact with fender flares anymore.

265's on factory Rubicon wheels will rub the lower control arm just a little at full lock. Easy to just back off the steering a tiny bit if it rubs. If you pull the sway bar when you wheel, and flex it up a lot, they'll also rub the fender flange where the flare bolts on. But you have to REALLY stuff it! A 1" or even 3/4" body lift will eliminate the fender rub for sure.

If you're looking to make your jeep MUCH better w/o a huge lift, a belly-up center skid is THE HOT TICKET. It will require a 3/4"-1" body lift, and a 1" MML should be used as well. If you want to space the suspension up 3/4" at that point, it would look fine, and work awesome!

If you're looking at body lifts, and you like the way your jeep rides now, go with the spacer version, not the tall poly body mounts. There's nothing wrong with using spacers and keeping the rubber mounts. The poly is rock hard in comparison, and you'll notice a lot more NVH transmitted into the body. I had a few 3" tall 2" dia spacers and I cut them down to 3/4" on my table saw. Then I bought grade 5 bolts about 1/2"-3/4" longer than the factory bolts. Body lift done. :)

Go buy some new 265's and you'll be fine, or you'll easily resolve what little rub is there.
C

Last edited:

monele

Adventurer
^^^ Totally agree, esp. with the tummy tuck. Not only is it a fairly affordable way to gain breakover angle, any of them will be way tougher than the factory shovel. My body lift is daystar spacers and they maintain the factory rubber. Had it for years with no issue.

Lilbluerunner

Adventurer
Going today to have the 265s put on. A really good friend used to make the aluminum pucks for Savvy Offroad. He hooked me up with a 1.25" BL in addition to the .75" spring spacers that I already have. The BL is a welcome addition so that I can run a Tummy Tuck later. :wings:

Rubicon4URE

Adventurer
I just bought and finished putting on a Day Star .75 spacer kit to give me a total of 3.25 lift, it was only 50$ with shipping! Best deal i could find. But i am running 285/75r16 on Moabs.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk