3rd Gen Toyota Pickup - Budget Expo Build

shmabs

Explorer
For 8k, I think you are going to have quite the setup!

More importantly, you are going to have an 8k truck that is mechanically sound and "fresh", capable of what you are planning to do with it, and most importantly (in my mind) a vehicle you know inside and out.

Mike

DeskToGlory

Adventurer
Looking good my friend!!! Now let's see some living quarters plans :lurk:

Soon Luis, soon! Our master bedroom (CVT Mt. Bachelor) is currently being shipped so that should be here sooner rather than later!

Now that the truck and all of the accessories are in the same place I'll be able to lay them out and see what actually works where (I've spend enough time mucking around in AutoCAD 3D to have a general idea at least...).

On another note... is it time to leave yet? Itching to get on the road!

DeskToGlory

Adventurer
What gears are you running and what kind of mileage are you seeing with the 265's?

Right now it's has 4.10s but I'll most likely be swapping to some 4.56s before heading out. I can't afford to regear
to 4.88s so I'm going with the lowest stock gears available. I've put about 180km on the truck and used a 1/4 tank of fuel so far... mileage numbers will come eventually!

blakeape

Adventurer
Right now it's has 4.10s but I'll most likely be swapping to some 4.56s before heading out. I can't afford to regear
to 4.88s so I'm going with the lowest stock gears available. I've put about 180km on the truck and used a 1/4 tank of fuel so far... mileage numbers will come eventually!

4.88's did come in a lot of the 4runners and some pickups from 89-95 with the 31 inch tire package and and auto trans. Might be worth a little junkyard diving??

NorthernWoodsman

Adventurer/tinkerer
4.88's did come in a lot of the 4runners and some pickups from 89-95 with the 31 inch tire package and and auto trans. Might be worth a little junkyard diving??

Yep, this is what I did since I run 33x10.50x15 BFG AT's. 4.88's are actually rather easy to find. I ordered mine from a Toyota recycler in Oregon. I don't remember the exact price, but they were not that expensive to purchase and have shipped.

I can't recall if you're also running 33's on your truck, but if you are, 4.88's would definitely be better than the 4.56's. There are some threads on here, somewhere, that talk about all of the tire/gearing stuff and IIRC, 4.83 would be exactly what you need to run 33's on our trucks, but since they don't make them...4/88's it is. 4.56's will leave you still a little underpowered and with lower mpg's.

Let me know and I will dig up the receipts and get you prices and the contact info of the recycler.

DeskToGlory

Adventurer

Good to know, guys!

The tire diameter measures out just short of 32". I'll definitely keep my eyes open for some 4.88s now. Thanks blakeape and NorthernWoodsman.

Ruined Adventures

Brenton Cooper
The tire diameter measures out just short of 32". I'll definitely keep my eyes open for some 4.88s now. Thanks blakeape and NorthernWoodsman.
Axle code G144. I may have finally found a set for ours, but sadly it'll have to wait until our 4Runner is home again :smiley_drive:

Keep up the good work and go easy on that budget! Your truck sure has been looking sharp lately.

RedSR

Axle code G144. I may have finally found a set for ours, but sadly it'll have to wait until our 4Runner is home again :smiley_drive:

Keep up the good work and go easy on that budget! Your truck sure has been looking sharp lately.

4.88s only came on the V6 Autos w/ 31" tire package FWIW.

For the 4.88s you need to get/buy the full third member for the rear (front diff has standard gear setup). The 4.88 third member can't be regeared for other gears like your stock 4.10 or 4.56 ones can (e.g., if you want to go to 5.29 eventually, you'll want to keep the third member you pull off of your current rig).

Read more: http://www.yotatech.com/f116/how-rare-4-88-factory-gears-82122/#post858181

Your rig's lookin good!

xlcaferacer

Adventurer
Great build thread! For factory 4:88 geared diffs check out the web site: http://www.jimsgotparts.com/Yoda_Jims/Home.html
These guys are a Toyota truck/4runner/landcruiser salvage yard in Denver, Colorado and are great to deal with. I bought a 4:88 geared stock front diff from them as well as a few other things and was very pleased with the price and service. Keep up the good work.

rickashay

Explorer
Just stopping by, loving the progress.

Yes, I definitely considered a swap... but I have swapped enough engines/transmissions in the past to know I didn't have enough money or time to execute a swap on this truck with our time restraints. The biggest problem would have been finding an engine that actually had low mileage and right now I'm happy I know exactly what the condition of the engine is. Gotta keep it simple! Plus, I really wanted something I could deal with myself in a small town in the middle of Central America if **** hit the fan.

We are planning on heading east into Alberta before heading south so I'll let you know if we're heading through Nelson. The plan now is to take the Number 1 through Revelstoke since we haven't been that way before, but we do love Nelson! (We're actually considering a move to Nelson after our trip if we can scrounge up some employment!)

Totally get your train of though there...

Nelson rules, I won't argue but employment can be difficult. Although it depends on the industry I guess.

9624970674_f163336e7b_c.jpg

I keep looking at the word "Budget" in the thread title. I'm not sure if I said anything about this yet, but this thing isn't necessarily going to be cheap by the time we're on the road. I guess it's all going to depend on what you're comparing it to. By the time it has all the overland goodies installed (RTT, fridge, inverter, solar, dual battery, etc) we're going to be into it for about $8000...

Even for $8000, that is one of the coolest looking pickups I've seen. LOVE the stance. It sure is making me miss my old burgundy 93' Pickup.

FWIW, another source for Toyota truck parts in Coaldale Alberta (10 minutes outside of Lethbridge) is 4xToys. Mike (owner) has started to crush most of his inventory as he's getting more into the salvage business. However, I scored a set of 4.88's from him in the past and it wouldnt surprise me if he had more in his inventory. Worth a shot.

DeskToGlory

Adventurer
rickashay, good to know about 4xToys... we'll be driving past there on our route so I'll keep it in mind!

On another note, I'll be picking up the truck from www.disturbedindustries.com in a couple of hours. Lots of work was done to tune the truck up (valve adjust, injector clean and balance, MAF sensor, O2 sensor, coolant temp sensor, all fluids) and tighten up the chassis (idler arm, ball joints, brake calipers), but it should be ready to go mechanically now. Good thing since we're scheduled to leave in 2 weeks!

rickashay

Explorer
rickashay, good to know about 4xToys... we'll be driving past there on our route so I'll keep it in mind!

On another note, I'll be picking up the truck from www.disturbedindustries.com in a couple of hours. Lots of work was done to tune the truck up (valve adjust, injector clean and balance, MAF sensor, O2 sensor, coolant temp sensor, all fluids) and tighten up the chassis (idler arm, ball joints, brake calipers), but it should be ready to go mechanically now. Good thing since we're scheduled to leave in 2 weeks!

No problem. Is it weird that I'm excited for you to leave in two weeks? It's like I'm going to be living vicariously through your trip or something...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77