A Hummer H3 built for everything.

barlowrs

Explorer
Thanks. I have no experience with the R700 stock, but my M1A stock is amazing. Once I tuned the barrel tensioner, I got sub MOA groups!!! Love it so much that I was thinking of getting a R700LA one down the road.

Well, I'll let you know how mine turns out when I get it so you can use it to decided if you want one. The technology is the same between the JAE-100 (yours) and JAE-700 (my future one), so your good review shows positive prospect for mine..woo hoo!

ReconH3

Heavy Duty Adventurer
Well, I'll let you know how mine turns out when I get it so you can use it to decided if you want one. The technology is the same between the JAE-100 (yours) and JAE-700 (my future one), so your good review shows positive prospect for mine..woo hoo!

Thanks. I'm actually very familiar with it. I see them every year at the SHOT Show. Their craftsmanship is second to none so I don't doubt it will perform great.

"Ex Umbris Venimus"

Sent from my iPhone

onelow1ton

Adventurer
I know I have told you before but man I love this build and hope to see it one day. Also this thread has the best detail on how it all came about, good stuff!

ReconH3

Heavy Duty Adventurer
Thanks 1ton. I get back to NC on the 8th of Jan, but won't be free till the 23rd. I have to go to the SHOT Show for work.

ReconH3

Heavy Duty Adventurer
H3snorkel.jpg

Time to get the snorkel on :) Will be color matched later on, and add a Syclone precleaner.

Ron B

Explorer
Like others...I have said this before but what a fantastic build! I never get tired of looking at the pics.

rb

ReconH3

Heavy Duty Adventurer
1f999f81.jpg

Now it was time to make a bumper and winch mount. I knew I wanted to get a winch with 12,000 lbs pull, since all the 9,000 lbs winches would eventually burn out with the weight of the H3. When we removed the whole IFS setup, we found a huge empty space in the frame rails. Perfect for tucking a winch in there. I called my friend at Warn with the measurements, to see what we could fit in there. He got back to me telling me that the best would be the HMMWV short drum M12,000. It was powerful enough and fit perfectly in the frame rails. The winch come with it's own bumper and mounting kit made specifically for the HMMWV. When it arrived, and we started to see how it would fit, we noticed that the whole HMMWV bumper/mount kit actually fit like a glove in the H3! Only difference is the side plate couldn't be bolted on, so we welded them in place. Once everything was in place, we noticed that the OEM body mounts and bumper bracket where sticking out and it looked ugly. To just hack them off, would require too much fabrication. The simpler solution was to make some brackets for the OEM fog lights. This way I would cover everything up, and at the same time have my fog lights back. Couldn't have worked out better than anything solution I could have come up with.

ReconH3

Heavy Duty Adventurer
The next step was the rear bumper. I went with the ARB bumper as a compromise, because ORE had dragged their feet for so long, and their solution was far from adequate. The ARB bumper is very well made, but has no provisions for mounting the factory back-up cam. We made a hole for it. Another thing we weren't going to use is the license plate mount, since mine sits in the spare tire. Without anything there it looked ugly, so I decided to add another OEM d-ring to balance out the look. Right now it's just for looks, because we didn't have time to tie it into the frame like the OEM one on the other side.

ReconH3

Heavy Duty Adventurer
7f07f8cc.jpg

Now that most of the last minute additions and fabrications were done, it was time to give it back to Duane and Bernt to finish things off to match the rest of the vehicle.

ReconH3

Heavy Duty Adventurer
8140d194.jpg

This is what it looked like after Bernt did his magic. We also added a Master Pull aluminum fairlead and winch line.

0a28e65d.jpg

Rear view where you can see the ARB bumper.

a469dc7d.jpg

Close up of the camera mounted, and the fabricated second d-ring in the place of the license plate.

ReconH3

Heavy Duty Adventurer
0a1b00d6.jpg

Got the ram-assist installed as well as the Currie anti-rock sway bar. The rear also got a Currie anti-rock, but I don't have any decent pics.

ReconH3

Heavy Duty Adventurer
By now I was off again. They asked if they could take the truck to SEMA. I agreed. A friend that was there took some pics. Here they are:

DSCF2111.jpg

DSCF2108.jpg

DSCF2106.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk