A Hummer H3 built for everything.

ReconH3

Heavy Duty Adventurer
When I got back it was time to move out to NC. Like other times, ORE dragged their feet and didn't get things done on time. Rig had never been tested off-road, so we had no clue if it had any issues. Organized one outing to try to test both H3s since the H3T was also just getting done. The trip was a fluke. All the trails were closed so all we got to do was ride around snowy roads.

6a4e2563.jpg

I had to go to the SHOT Show before heading out to NC, so I took it to Vegas. The Outdoor Channel featured it on their Media Day at the Range, but I never got to see it. On the way back from Vegas, the truck shut down in the middle of nowhere. I linked up my iPhone to the OBD to see what was wrong, and there more issues than I could recall. I reset it, to see if it would start, and it did. I drove back to Cali, having to stop every 45 minutes, because it would go back into limp mode, and eventually shut down. I dropped it off at Tustin Hummer to see if they could figure it out in two days, because after that it was going on the trailer to NC. Unfortunately they couldn't figure it out. Despite having it for two days, they didn't charge me a cent. The guys at Tustin Hummer were amazing, and I was really going to miss them. So we were leaving Cali with an unfinished H3, with no UCP, and a fried electrical system. All courtesy of ORE. They do amazing work, but they also drag their feet and leave other things unfinished. I had no clue if I would find anyone decent in NC, so I left kind of unmotivated. :(

evldave

Expedition Trophy Winner
Glad to see you on expo Recon! I've followed your build on the other forums, keep the updates here coming!

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

ReconH3

Heavy Duty Adventurer
Thanks Dave. Little by little I'll be posting the build. It's still an ongoing project since I have so little time to work on it and testing.

"Ex Umbris Venimus"

Sent from my iPhone

brussum

Adventurer
That is one amazing transformation into a great looking rig. It's even better with the WWF sticker. Good job and keep the post coming!

yubert

Explorer
Wow ReconH3, I saw your truck at ORE a year ago and never expected it was owned by someone on ExPo. Bummer about the delays by ORE, I've talked with them several times about doing custom work for a Disco but each time they've rubbed me the wrong way.

Anyway, attached is a photo I took of your truck at ORE....

Photo Jan 24, 4 12 49 PM.jpg

ReconH3

Heavy Duty Adventurer
Wow ReconH3, I saw your truck at ORE a year ago and never expected it was owned by someone on ExPo. Bummer about the delays by ORE, I've talked with them several times about doing custom work for a Disco but each time they've rubbed me the wrong way.

Anyway, attached is a photo I took of your truck at ORE....

View attachment 80275

ORE does amazing work. Unfortunately their work ethic isn't the best. This project took a year and a half too long because of them. If that pic was taken a year ago, that means I had driven it there, and I was in the store. We may have crossed paths and not know it. :)

ReconH3

Heavy Duty Adventurer
First thing I did when the H3 arrived to NC from Cali, was to drop it off at the local dealer (Hendrick Hummer). I had heard good things about this dealer, and was keeping my fingers crossed that they would solve all the electrical issues caused by ORE. In the mean time I joined the local 4x4 forum (NC4x4) to see what I could find as far as quality 4x4 mechanics and fabricators. The guys on the forum were of great help. Found a tranny expert that wheels (Lee @ TLC Transmissions). The local 4Wheel Parts is actually a great place to get work done, and are very knowledgable. Then there was East Coast Gear Supply (ECGS). These guys came very highly recommended as far as any custom extreme fabrication. There were more, but all quite far away. Things were looking up.

Two days after having dropped off the H3 at the dealer, they call to say that they had fixed everything. Turns out that ORE had left unplugged parts of the wiring harness, and left it hanging over the exhaust. This had melted everything, and caused some serious shorts. Finally all the lights and warnings on the dash had been turned off. Only thing still on was the TPMS and the rear locker since it couldn't find the OEM one. A firend from the hummer4x4offroad forum had told me a quick easy fix to fooling the system into thinking the rear OEM locker was there. It worked. Only thing left is the TPMS, and pending for a solution still to date. I actually have one. I just haven't had the time to fabricate it.

On NC4x4 I had found out that a local 4x4 club, Mud Devil's Playground, was going to do a fundraiser, and that everyone was invited to ride their trails. It's on private property and usually not open to the public. I wanted to go but was skeptical with ORE's work. I didn't want to go all the way out there and have stuff blow up. I also had no UCP, because ORE had never done it as requested. I had an idea to go to the local 4Wheel Parts and test the suspension travel on their 20 degree ramp.

97758a0b.jpg

This was best thing I did. I got to see some issues, but nothing extremely serious. Things that ORE should have tested and solved a long time ago. The left side e-brake had been routed badly and would get extremely tight. The heim on the pitman arm was also at it's limit and could pop. Both the front and the rear axle were not centered, and were rubbing. Despite all that, the H3 was ramping very close to 1000! Despite all these minor things, and with no UCP, one of the guys from NC4x4 that owns a Hummer, convinced me to go to Mud Devil's Playground. We were going to take it easy, and test out the H3 without banging up the underside. Here are some pics some of the guys at NC4x4 took:

ada6a349.jpg

66beee50.jpg

7c63d993.jpg

9903643c.jpg

2c8c3ae5.jpg

4bf263f5.jpg

All in all it was a great day. Got to try the H3 for the first time on some real terrain. Nothing too extreme. It did well. It was my first time wheeling an auto tranny 4x4. Much prefer manual, but unfortunately the V8 version was only available in auto. Also the first time wheeling such a heavy vehicle. I had a great time. Finally starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

ReconH3

Heavy Duty Adventurer
After Mud Devil's Playground, I got Lee at TLC Transmission to put on an external tranny cooler. We isolated the OEM one so we wouldn't have any contamination issues in the future, if the factory one fails. I also installed my AirDoc I had ordered some time ago.

IMG_0372.jpg

About this time, I had to leave overseas again. :(

REDROVER

Explorer
whats wrong with you man? u keep blasting us with those sweet pics, :) that's one amazing hummer . i wonder what can be done to alpha T

ERIC

onelow1ton

Adventurer
When ever you get a chance and your around the h3 could you get me a few pix of the jk steering box like from above in the engine compartment and through the fender I'm trying to see what kind of room I would have for it on my truck because I would rather have it inboard the frame than outside like the yota box that I was thinking of using

Thanks Kenny

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk