A Hummer H3 built for everything.

ReconH3

Heavy Duty Adventurer
The day after I went to TLC Transmissions to do some drive line and alignment adjustments. Lee and his assistant were great. He also solved the bad e-brake cable routing. Whilst doing the drive line angles, he also mentioned the way too short drive shafts. He said I should got to Winston-Salem to get Oliver's Custom Driveshafts to fix everything. I called them and asked the if they could do an emergency fix if I came in the next morning. They said yes!!!

ReconH3

Heavy Duty Adventurer
OCD.jpg

Next morning I showed up at Oliver's Custom Driveshafts at 08:00. It was a 2:30 drive from home so I left early. I was there most of the day with temps well above 100. At lunch they asked me if I wanted anything, and had it brought over. As promised they redid both front and rear shafts. They even had them high speed balanced. The 2:30 drive back home I had a huge smile on my face. Between the custom shafts, and lee setting up the correct angles the day before, all the vibration were gone!!! Thanks guys!!

While I was there I had some Ridge Demon H3 frame plates welded on.

69c67134.jpg

021c54db.jpg

I had them welded on "upside-down". I did this because otherwise I couldn't remove my HMMWV winch plate. It's also better because the lower part is usually the part that hits the rocks, therefore making it stronger. I'm so glad I got these, because the OEM setup is so weak.

ReconH3

Heavy Duty Adventurer
After all these mods, and adding the limiting straps I figured I had lost some suspension travel. So to see how things were, I went back to 4Wheel Parts in Raleigh to try out their 20 degree ramp.

e394f735.jpg

Still hitting 1000! :) All the mods had been done so well it didn't affect any of the suspension travel. I also got to see that centering the axles will probably permit me to go up a couple of inches on tire size. That will have to wait till a later date. While I was there I ask some of the guys if they knew anywhere to get a custom exhaust. I hate the sound of the Flowmaster. Magnaflow is more my style. They suggest R&J Custom exhausts in Apex. He said many of his customers have been very happy with their work. So I zoom down there to talk to these guys and set up an appointment. Whilst I'm there, I find out that they don't do Magnaflow, but if I brought it in they would gladly install it. They even give me a number for Magnaflow dealer. Great guys! I set up the appointment for after the weekend.

ReconH3

Heavy Duty Adventurer
After all those mods got done it was time to hit the trails. I had been trying to organize an outing to Uwharrie National Park on July 16th with NC4X4 and Hummer4x4offroad forum members. Some had already planned going more south, but one Hummer owner (Griff), and a couple of guys from NC4X4 decided to join me. It was a great day. The local guy (Big Goofy) that was showing us around, brought us directly to the roughest part of the park (Daniel)!!! It wasn't what I had planned since I was still testing the H3, but it performed flawlessly. I couldn't push it too hard because I still didn't have bump stops. Here are some pics of that great day.

H3Ure01.jpg

H3Ure02.jpg

griffure.jpg

Griff in action. His completely stock H3 performed quite well, and he was willing to put it through it's paces.

URE.jpg

A nice scenery shot.

ure03.jpg

Another flex shot.

ure2136.jpg

More Griff in action.

bigoofy.jpg

Big Goofy in his WJ. He volunteered to be our guide for the day and turned out to be one of the best spotters. He lives 5 minutes down the road. Great guy and his wife wheels too. :)

Last edited:

ReconH3

Heavy Duty Adventurer
The Monday after Uwharrie, I had set up an appointment at R&J Custom exhaust shop in Apex, NC. I showed up with my Magnaflow and they installed it in no time.

RJ.jpg

IMG_0439.jpg

IMG_0440.jpg

They even fixed an issue with the ORE setup, where the pipe was banging a body mount every time I hit a bump. Turns out they build drag cars and will do any type of mechanical work. I know where I'll be going, the next time I get back to the US, to get my steering pump replaced.

ReconH3

Heavy Duty Adventurer
Expedition Hardware had a sale on Rigid Industries LED lights, so I jumped on the occasion. I wanted to get some additional back-up lights because the ones I have are pretty poor. The Duallys were the perfect setup. The only difference is that I was going to run them directly off the trailer hitch plug to avoid having to do a ton of wiring. I'm lazy like that.

IMG_0435.jpg

Installed them on my ARB bumper, right under the spare tire.

IMG_0434.jpg

Bought a spare trailer plug and wired the lights into the back-up pin.

IMG_0438.jpg

This is what my normal back-up lights would illuminate.

IMG_0437.jpg

This is what the Rigid Industries LED Duallys illuminate. What a difference!!!!

ReconH3

Heavy Duty Adventurer
Also a do not tailgate indicator. lol.

I thought of that too. :) I can't activate them whilst driving since I have to be in reverse. I actually have them pointed down so I don't accidentally blind anyone. Don't want to run into any issues with authorities.

"Ex Umbris Venimus"

Sent from my iPhone

ReconH3

Heavy Duty Adventurer
Before returning to the US this last time, I had Raingler make some safety nets for the interior of the truck. I'm big on safety and keeping everything contained in case of a roll or accident.

nets01.jpg

These are right behind the driver and passenger. I only use this one when I use the rear seating area to load gear.

nets02.jpg

The trunk space. Notice the two fire extinguishers on the roll cage. Can't get enough.

nets03.jpg

Two Master-Pull recovery gear military bags held down with one of the floor nets.

ReconH3

Heavy Duty Adventurer
This mod was just something I had to do. The factory antenna is 37" long. Every time I park in my garage, or go into a parking structure, I go smacking the antenna everywhere. This is something that drives me up the wall. Most people just get a stubby antenna, but I actually like having the antenna as a warning for low clearances so I don't go breaking anything. I found in Pep Boys a 31" antenna that looks identical.

4ea5cdd4.jpg

50434829.jpg

It comes with a bunch of adapters, but none work for the H3. The thread on the H3 antenna is M7-1.00. The thread in the new antenna is M6-1.00. What I did is go to Lowes and get a M7-1.00 x 25mm bolt. I then got an M6-1.00 threading die.

06229dc6.jpg

I left the bolt head uncut till the last step so I had something to hold onto when threading it. I grabbed the bolt in a 11mm wrench, and with the M6 die I started threading it. I made about 1/3 of the thread into 6mm thread.

c2c258e7.jpg

Here's a comparison of the before and after. The head of the bolt has already been cut off, but I would suggest not doing it until you have installed it on the new antenna. That way you can tighten it down. I added some loctite on the 6mm thread so it stays put in the antenna. You can then cut the bolt head off.

4a50157e.jpg

Here a comparison. Top OEM. Middle new antenna with modified 6/7mm thread. 7mm bolt.

ffd14bb2.jpg

Before with 37" OEM antenna. You can see how it hits the garage door.

c3a5399c.jpg

After with 31" antenna. You can see it clears the garage door, but is still tall enough to still serve as a warning if the clearance is too low. I had been wanting to do this mod pretty much since I got my truck, but since I couldn't find the right replacement antennae it never happened. Now it's done and one of my favorite mods. The reception is just as good as with the OEM one.

ReconH3

Heavy Duty Adventurer
That pretty much brings the build up to date. The H3 is far from done. The rig works very well, but like most builds, there a still things to make, and others to adjust. Here is a rough draft of what still needs to be done:

Hydraulic Bump stops. I have no bump stops whatsoever. I will be getting East Coast Gear Supply to install some Fox ones.

Ram assist skid plate. ECGS will also be fabricating a custom one.

Body protection. ECGS will also be doing some external tubing to protect certain body parts. Not an exo-cage. Something more along the lines what the Aussies do on their rigs. Trying to keep weight to a minimum.

Exhaust Wrap. R&J Custom Exhaust is going to do an exhaust wrap. It helps a lot with heat issues in the Alpha. Not doing it for performance reasons.

Power steering pump. R&J will also be swapping out a PSC pump. I want them to do it just in case it doesn't hold up. I had originally installed it, but it blew after 5 minutes of use. Had it rebuilt, and we'll see if this time it lasts longer. If not I'll do one of my rebuilds like I used to do to my TJ ones that have lasted forever after that.

EVAP relocate. I'm thinking of relocating it somewhere it's not going to get full of off-road debris. Also contemplating just putting it into a sealed tupperware like container, which in turn will have it's own breather/snorkel. The intake on the EVAP is too big to just add a breather to that. Will take some looking into and coming up with a solution.

Dual Battery setup. I have one from Artec but it is far from ideal. It's made for Optimas. I need to find a better solution. I really haven't had the time to look for battery alternatives that aren't Optimas.

Internal storage. The rear seats on the H3 come out easy, so I want to make a wood storage shelf/container that will help hold things on long trips. Mainly because that's where the spare will go. Want to bring the center of gravity down and forward.

MFC holder. Once the spare is inside, I will be making a MFC holder for two Specter containers in it's place. This keeps it low and outside if the vehicle.

Atlas transfer case. That's way down the road but something I would eventually like to do. Won't be any time soon though. The OEM transfer case is known to be weak, and I wouldn't like to be stranded in some remote place.

All these mods are things that I would like to do, but who knows when I'll get to doing them. Hopefully soon. The East Coast Gear Supply mods will be done in the following weeks. I already have an appointment setup. Can'y wait! :D

Saiyan66

Adventurer
I have a suggestion regarding the future exhaust wrap mod. I would recommend getting whatever part you were going to have wrapped ceramic coated instead. I have seen this done on motorcycles and vehicles with heat issues and it is way more effective than the wrap, looks way nicer, and wont eventually destroy your parts like thermal wrap does. It costs a little more, but you have enough $$ invested in this thing already and it looks like you are the kind of person who does things right.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
I've said it before & I'll say it again..... LOVE this rig!! I saw it in person last year, and hope to see it again some day. If you ever get up here to the Mtns please let me know!

Scott Brady

Founder
Incredible vehicle - I have never said that about a Hummer before.

Given your signature line, where do you plan to take it once complete?

Thanks for taking the time to document the project too - the attention to detain is awe inspiring.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal