A Hummer H3 built for everything.

ReconH3

Heavy Duty Adventurer
I have a suggestion regarding the future exhaust wrap mod. I would recommend getting whatever part you were going to have wrapped ceramic coated instead. I have seen this done on motorcycles and vehicles with heat issues and it is way more effective than the wrap, looks way nicer, and wont eventually destroy your parts like thermal wrap does. It costs a little more, but you have enough $$ invested in this thing already and it looks like you are the kind of person who does things right.

I thought about. I actually have a Buell with a ceramic coated exhaust. If I can find a local shop that does it, I'll go ahead. If I don't, I can't be without my H3 while the exhaust gets shipped out. It's my only car in NC. Thanks for reminding me.

"Ex Umbris Venimus"

Sent from my iPhone

ReconH3

Heavy Duty Adventurer
Incredible vehicle - I have never said that about a Hummer before.

Given your signature line, where do you plan to take it once complete?

Thanks for taking the time to document the project too - the attention to detain is awe inspiring.

Thanks. I would like to take it to some event. Unfortunately first I have to figure out how to waterproof the BCM. The PCM is waterproof but not the BCM. Another thing to take into consideration is how complicated it will be to remove carpeting. Of it's not glued down it will be ok. Can't be getting into crazy water crossing and having the carpets stay wet and turn moldy. :)

What I would really like is to see an event like the ones I've done, but in the US. I've always been amazed with all the capable people we have in this country, and not one has organized an adventure competition. Not even a weekend winch challenge which is a small version of the big ones. Here it's either protruck, rockcrawling, King of the Hammers, or geocaching. Nobody has thought of putting all this together in a well rounded competition that encompasses all these skills. The closest thing that I know of was the Warn Safari Challenge. Hopefully one day.

"Ex Umbris Venimus"

Sent from my iPhone

ReconH3

Heavy Duty Adventurer
Finally! Nice job. I guess we'll be seeing you in Flagstaff this May at OX12?

Unfortunately I won't be able to go to anything this year. I have to leave overseas again till after the summer. Next year may be another story. That will also give me more time to organize a trailer and better camping gear.

"Ex Umbris Venimus"

Sent from my iPhone

ReconH3

Heavy Duty Adventurer
I've said it before & I'll say it again..... LOVE this rig!! I saw it in person last year, and hope to see it again some day. If you ever get up here to the Mtns please let me know!

If I have the time I would love to come up. Especially because Uwharrie is closed this time of year.

"Ex Umbris Venimus"

Sent from my iPhone

HARDTRAILZ

Certified
Dual Battery setup. I have one from Artec but it is far from ideal. It's made for Optimas. I need to find a better solution. I really haven't had the time to look for battery alternatives that aren't Optimas.

I would suggest you look at the DieHard Platinum series.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Well, I just spent the last 2-3 hours reading the build thread and must say that is one impressive H3, although there isn't much "H3" left of the original product. I love the slant back design, reminds me of my days in the Army, glad you found such a great shop that got things right. ECGS is one of the best axle builders in the country in my opinion and I will be ordering a few things from them in March. Do you work for a defense contractor that keeps you traveling all the time? And sorry ORE screwed you over, another of many reasons I do my own work as much as possible. I haven't met BigGoofy in person yet, but on other forums he seems to really know his stuff, glad he was able to help you out. Wow, I just read through this posting and realized how tired I am judging by its randomness. You should plan a trip out to Moab for the Fall.

lmcanje

I just wanted to say that this is one epic build. I am really impressed with how it has all come together. I think the idea of matching the paint to something you can get in a spray can is genius.

ReconH3

Heavy Duty Adventurer
Thanks guys. I'm not in the military. I tried to enlist in the Marine Corps after 9/11 but they said I was too old. :( So I decided to help out in another way. I work with many fundraising organizations to try to provide the troops we all their needs, so as to make their service less "uncomfortable". I also freelance for a company that sells US weapons to European military. I teach them how to use and maintain these systems.

The paint thing was just a consequence of the circumstances. The guys doing the painting ended up doing it way ahead of schedule. I was overseas. It was always from day one going to be in Coyote Tan. The problem was how was I going to get a sample out to them? One option was to send a piece of gear to them, but that would have been too expensive. Then I remembered that Brownells had a spray paint that matched the color, and since I have an account with them, I had them send out one. Coincidentally I can also use it for touch ups and paint small parts. :)

"Ex Umbris Venimus"

Sent from my iPhone

Last edited:

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Very nice. I love the M996/M1025 (Hatchback military hummer) look of your H3. Can't figure out why GM didn't make a slant-back version since that is by far the "Sexiest" of the HMMWVs out there.

Ala5ka

VX'er
Beautiful, truly an inspiration to start cutting up nice rigs :) Thank you for your service, our guys need as much support as they can get.

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
What I would really like is to see an event like the ones I've done, but in the US. I've always been amazed with all the capable people we have in this country, and not one has organized an adventure competition. Not even a weekend winch challenge which is a small version of the big ones. Here it's either protruck, rockcrawling, King of the Hammers, or geocaching. Nobody has thought of putting all this together in a well rounded competition that encompasses all these skills. The closest thing that I know of was the Warn Safari Challenge. Hopefully one day.

"Ex Umbris Venimus"

Sent from my iPhone

Sure people have thought about it, even discussed it, for a long time. I have a video from 1994 where Mike Warn is talking about this very thing. At the time his company (Warn Industries) was wanting to put an event like those you have participated in together here in the USA. As Mike pointed out in the video, we don't really have tracks of land in the USA open to the public to host this kind of event. Sure we have the Rubicon or Moab or Badlands but these places don't fit a winch challenge type event. And are these locations large enough if they could be the location for this type of event? As you know better then any of us these kind of events cover many hundreds of miles, so I think it simply comes down to us having a place here in the USA to do an event like this. In the video I mention Mike talks about wanting to do an event in the USA and his company working on that but the main hurdle being a location. I think this is still true 18yrs later.

On top of this you have the issue with the tree huggers and greenies here in the USA. That is not so much of a problem in other countries.

I know it sounds odd living in such a large country and not really having a place to host this kind of event. Yet, if I am wrong here I would love to be shown that! Meaning, if anybody knows of a location to host this kind of thing, please share! ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal