Abandoned/derelict sites

graynomad

Photographer, traveller
congrats on the sale
Yeah.

I had a small gallery for a few years and often could not understand why some shots were popular and others not. Often I didn't much like the popular ones and my favourites would languish on the walls.

Go figure.

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader
I've stopped printing anything out in advance strictly because of that same reason Rob. We used to have a few dozen different images to pick from that we would keep printed out and available for sale. Sometimes you sit on images that people will comment on time after time, but never sell. Then you might have an image that I dont even like that much, but it sells again and again???

Now if someone wants something, I point them to my Smugmug page so they can decide for themselves

WininUtah

Adventurer
I Love the old car/truck shots, some interesting patinas. I didn't see where this has been posted, the "old drill rig" in Cathedral Valley, Capitol Reef N.P. Pardon my faux HDR.

medium800.jpg

graynomad

Photographer, traveller
I point them to my Smugmug page
I should set mine up properly for selling prints.

I found sales dropped off like they'd gone over a cliff about 4 years ago, $2000 one week and nothing since. I removed all the sales facilities from my site a year or so back when I moved to Smugmug but never really finished setting up my Smugmug stuff. Truth is I've been more into my electronics in the last year or so but that's about to change, I'm feeling the urge to get back into photography.

I know many photographers and they all say web sales have fallen off, too many bloody iPhones around probably :) I know when I had a gallery with real photos people could browse through I did pretty well, but living on the road doesn't really lend itself to that and the guys I know that built up their bricks-and-mortar gallery got bogged down in the business and hardly ever got out to take photos.

It's a tough life, but I'm managing to hold up.

Pardon my faux HDR.
Looks OK to me, maybe a little desaturated compared to what we normally see these days but possibly closer to the real thing.

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
Great thread.

These few are close to home. This is pretty much a deralict C-97. My father flew this and my mother served aboard as a flight nurse.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Old Ford found at the Castle Dome ghost town
Expoordition-Day03-04-X2.jpg

This door hardware certainly withstood the test of time:
Expoordition-Day03-11-X2.jpg

I might have posted this before, can't remember, but I like it a lot, so I'll post it again :)
Expoordition-Day03-07-X2.jpg

Old business building in Ryolite, near Death Valley, CA
IMG_3621-X2.jpg

Old cabin made a great campsite, Red Rock State Park
LRCSD-RedRock-2010-44-X2.jpg

LRCSD-RedRock-2010-45-X2.jpg

LRCSD-RedRock-2010-46-X2.jpg

graynomad

Photographer, traveller
My father flew this...
That actual plane?

Love the night shot of the mine or whatever it is. How did you light it, car head/spotlights?

Some pretty bold colours and shapes there nwoods. Even what's left of those walls would be welcome on a cold night with some wind.

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
Yes that actual plane.
The museum that has it reconfigured as a KC-97 but the CANG only operated C-97s. The only squadron flying them was out of Van Nuys which I can conclude was during my parents time of service.

WininUtah

Adventurer
That plane, which is amazing, reminded me of this relic. This particular "Arrow" is located in Hurricane, UT, there are more around the state but I've only seen this one. These were used to guide planes and were located about 10 miles apart. At night they would be lit by torches.

medium800.jpg

standard.jpg

esh

Explorer
I Love the old car/truck shots, some interesting patinas. I didn't see where this has been posted, the "old drill rig" in Cathedral Valley, Capitol Reef N.P. Pardon my faux HDR.

medium800.jpg

Cool! The old Pinkerton truck. (just like how that sounds) :D

I came across it randomly on a previous trip.

_MG_5931.JPG

_MG_5937.JPG

_MG_5940.JPG

the hills above it are pretty outstanding.. but I digress
_MG_5956.JPG

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I have a real hard time passing one of these old remnants of Americana without stopping to make a photograph. This is the old Twin Arrows Trading Post on Route 66 outside Flagstaff, Arizona.

View attachment 193626

I remember seeing this in 1978, when my family went to the Grand Canyon (I was 16.) I think it was still open then. There were still stretches of I-40 that had not been completed (mainly through the towns) and the highway would resume its designation of Route 66.

medium800.jpg

Is this in the town of Caineville, just East of Capitol Reef? I think I recall seeing this vehicle if it's the one in Caineville.

These few are close to home. This is pretty much a deralict C-97. My father flew this and my mother served aboard as a flight nurse.

Was this taken at the airport in Greybull, WY? I know there are (or were) a bunch of derelict C-97's in the airfield there, they call it the "museum of aerial firefighting" and it's a boneyard for former aerial firefighting planes.

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
Was this taken at the airport in Greybull, WY? I know there are (or were) a bunch of derelict C-97's in the airfield there, they call it the "museum of aerial firefighting" and it's a boneyard for former aerial firefighting planes.

This beauty can be located at Fox Field near Palmdale CA. I'd love to see a gaggle of C-97s. WY is far but when/if I get out there it will have to be a destination.

Rattler

Thornton Melon's Kid
That plane, which is amazing, reminded me of this relic. This particular "Arrow" is located in Hurricane, UT, there are more around the state but I've only seen this one. These were used to guide planes and were located about 10 miles apart. At night they would be lit by torches.

medium800.jpg

standard.jpg

I saw that story on the front of ExPo a bit ago about those markers. That would be a neat adventure finding a bunch of them!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3