Ace Vantura! ALLLLLLLLLLLRIGHTY then

ohpyramids

Adventurer
Ride report: this kit rules. Everyone says it- but I'll say it again- it rides and drives so much better than stock. The kit was meticulously installed by a 3rd party shop- Nemanich Automotive Concepts here in California and I am very happy. Even my fiancé loves it. Our first weekend was a trip to Joshua tree and we couldn't stop taking pictures.

We do have some extra things to do like steps and sliders, but the van is coming together nicely and I have tons of confidence in the kit.

eadce2d8995595c157d143ba2e04a316.jpg

0f0afea856fdb016a6860a62f790fb87.jpg

5d9796e404dde9c6731e50184a6eac70.jpg

tgreening

Expedition Leader
Chris does a nice kit. There's a difference between a man in business and a business man. He's a business man and it shows. Parts are quality, packaging is labeled and professional, and even how the boxes are sealed shows the attention to little details that separates a professional from an amateur. There are far too many of the latter who have put their name on a plate and declared themselves a business, when they really have no business doing any such thing. Kudos to Ujoint for standing out.

ADVW/Liam

Adventurer
Ujoint

I dont even have a van, and I'm impressed with this kit. Too bad he does not make something for an SAS swap on a Tacoma. Of course, if he did, I probably could not afford it right now anyway.

tgreening

Expedition Leader
I dont even have a van, and I'm impressed with this kit. Too bad he does not make something for an SAS swap on a Tacoma. Of course, if he did, I probably could not afford it right now anyway.

Jesus dont say that. I've got a Taco and last thing I need is another project to think about.

stormlover

Adventurer
It's nuts. Taller than I thought- looks like I could tuck 37"s hahah. I'm super happy and can't wait to put some more miles on it today.

914046c89189abebb2b84219961926d5.jpg

17" of articulation in the front.

Everything looks so damn ************. I'm gonna take her through the mountains and desert today- more updates to come.

I presume the articulation test was also to get differential fluid to the inner bearings? That is, I presume you put the axle back together dry or did you pack the bearings with grease? As I understand it if you pack the outer with grease it might block the diff fluid from getting to the inner bearing. Anyhow, I'm doing an axle swap and just had a diff place install an ARB locker and this is what they recommended for the bearings.

I'm curious how far down the Mag hytec tranny pan extends than the stock Ford pan?

Awesome looking rig. Well-played Sir!

ohpyramids

Adventurer
I don't believe that's why they articulated it- but I'm not even sure if diff fluid going into the inner bearings is a good or bad thing.

The mag hytec pan was a great upgrade for me. I'm seeing about 20-30deg cooler tranny temps across the same conditions. I was normally around 185deg, but now on my commute it's about 155deg. Here's an extra tranny photo I have. Hope this helps.

37089c7fb0e50d011b1dd4054aac1012.jpg

stormlover

Adventurer
I don't believe that's why they articulated it- but I'm not even sure if diff fluid going into the inner bearings is a good or bad thing.

The mag hytec pan was a great upgrade for me. I'm seeing about 20-30deg cooler tranny temps across the same conditions. I was normally around 185deg, but now on my commute it's about 155deg. Here's an extra tranny photo I have. Hope this helps.

It's a good thing as that is how they are lubricated. But it appears you have a semi-floating axle so it's not quite the same issue (ie., one set of bearings and not an inner and outer in a full float hub). I guess that's how the inner bearings can potentially burn out on a full floater is because the outer bearings were packed with grease. And, you've got the grease then changing the properties of the gear oil. Not sure if that's a big deal or not.

As for the hytec pan, those numbers are dramatic. I guess it's the combination of the pan being aluminum and also being able to hold xx amount more fluid? On my 6.0 I can easily get tranny temps over 200F.

ohpyramids

Adventurer
It's a good thing as that is how they are lubricated. But it appears you have a semi-floating axle so it's not quite the same issue (ie., one set of bearings and not an inner and outer in a full float hub). I guess that's how the inner bearings can potentially burn out on a full floater is because the outer bearings were packed with grease. And, you've got the grease then changing the properties of the gear oil. Not sure if that's a big deal or not.

As for the hytec pan, those numbers are dramatic. I guess it's the combination of the pan being aluminum and also being able to hold xx amount more fluid? On my 6.0 I can easily get tranny temps over 200F.

the rear is the stock semi float w a 4.10 arb air locker. front is a '02 f250 4x4 d 60. and cool on the lube.

yeah the tranny pan surprised me. climbing angeles crest mountain before the tranny pan i was getting temps well above 200. i had to pull over 3 times at around 210 deg to cool down. with the mag hytec pan (magnesium?) my temps never rose above 190. it also takes like 25qts of tranny fluid though.... so be ready for that $$$! haha

350outrage

Adventurer
Your van looks awsome. Good Job on the 4wd kit install! I know you will have a lot of fun with this vehicle. When I first got mine done, my wife thought I was crazy; now she loves it!

ohpyramids

Adventurer
Got the mg metalworks sienna seat adapter kit. Driver seat is installed and it's a game changer! I sit up about 2"higher and 2-3" further back. Much better visibility and comfort. Can't wait to install the passenger seat this weekend.

caf7335a576efe9e33d535d74ccebad2.jpg

4d87954441dac2e1a5122436b6babd9f.jpg

Depending on the steering wheel, there is kinda room for a driver side swivel too!

397101db59ff26e80675535c61bdf181.jpg

ohpyramids

Adventurer
wow - its been a while since i made big progress. time to document!

the last few months of work were brutal, but i managed to get some serious vacation time lined up before and during thanksgiving week. this resulted in an 11 day interior build immediately followed by 6 days of camping in the van.

this has all already happened, and im back at work, but i wanted to document the build process. ive gotten so much confidence and knowledge from people who’ve done the same, and i just want to keep that community feeling going.

as vacation approached, i was fairly nervous about what i was going to do, and how i was going to do it! it really helped when i finally decided -its just a van. and that if i screw anything up, i can probably fix it, and be ready to try again (eventually).

i like to research alot before i get into something. so- to prepare i read tons of threads between expo, the sportsmobile forum, and the sprinter forums. everything from electrical, to insulation, to cabinetry and interior layouts. i have limited experience building furniture, and no experience outfitting a van. i have a fair amount of welding experience though, so that was a big plus.

im still assembling photos and a writeup of the build process, so enjoy these photos of us the camping part!

b1712883f5f8baefbd5083bd0ceb1ac6.jpg

camping on the back side prewitt ridge overlooking a lagoon in big sur. the fog rolled in heavy as we finished lunch and started cocktail hour(s).

6ac39f38494d0e6a8a39a00a0ee9cfab.jpg

blasting a puddle of crud on top of prewitt ridge in bug sur.

eea6634360f86d6264f6f65b904beabc.jpg

enjoy the scenery on a cool road in big sur.

ohpyramids

Adventurer
Heres a list of things i grabbed for the build and trip that were super helpful:

camping gear:

IMG_5888.jpg

ninja prepper titanium insulated mug. used every day all day. worked awesome.

super small folding shovel. we stayed at some primitive campgrounds and it worked great to bury at least two poops. fits well in our bathroom bag.

OXO dustpan. very compact but super useful to keep the floors and hoop steps clean.

Mr Buddy Propane heater. This was the difference between getting a cold and having fun. Ace Vantura isnt completely insulated yet, so the gaps leaked tons of cold air while we camped at 28deg. Mr. Buddy was blasting while we hung out in the van during the frosty evenings and a fair amount while we slept. It worked really well. We got about 4.5 hours out of the propane canisters on the lowest heat setting.

camp chef everest 2 burner high output stove. this thing puts out tons of heat and starts on the first try despite elevation or external temps. we cooked 2 meals a day for 6 days and still had propane leftover. it gets dinged and scuffed fairly quickly, but we could have been more careful when storing it.

adventure medical kits bighorn kit. we actually used one of these on our last trip to help a camper that had been burned after falling into his fire ring. paramedics arrived 4 hours later. pretty complete kit for the size.

carbon monoxide alarm
. thought it was necessary because we sealed up alot of holes and were running a propane heater. wanted to make sure we weren't going to die from stupidity

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven