AEV Brute Expedition Build in Dubai

Oman4x4

Laurie Bridger
Today's update! Got the rear axle in place and the arms fitted. Got the springs and shocks in. Front lower control arms are in but still pending is the front upper control arms - need to do the truss / axle housing modifications for the upper mounts.

Plan is to have it sitting on wheels and then put the body back on for a final alignment / fitment / clearance check and set some of the remaining body mounts in place.

739969_10151715119827647_402308605_o.jpg

1401569_10151715119832647_1265148132_o.jpg

Oman4x4

Laurie Bridger
The shocks? :) There'll be two more concealed up front too :)

The magic is in the double extension of the shocks, giving more travel, with the reservoir chamber to boot.

6PakCutAway.jpg

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
I understand the theoretical benefit of that shock design but is it really worthwhile given the increased complexity, packaging size, and actual weight of that central valve body? Truthfully they look like something a kid would have sketched up on paper without much actual R&D.

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
The increased travel is lost if it is more than the articulation of the axle allows, or even more significant - if you're running off-road sway bars. The sway bar only allows you to use what is useful extension, not just because you have it available.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I agree the shocks look overly complex, but I will wait and see how they function. The quality and thought put into this build is obviously huge. I think my main issue with the shocks is the size and all the hardware festooning them. The salt would turn them into garbage here in one winter. My 5100s were rusted in one month! Not much of an issue in Dubai!

Oman4x4

Laurie Bridger
The increased travel is lost if it is more than the articulation of the axle allows, or even more significant - if you're running off-road sway bars. The sway bar only allows you to use what is useful extension, not just because you have it available.

I have an aftermarket front swaybar - the ORO SwayLoc with in-cab selection between stiff and soft. Also there are multiple attachment points - so I can move it to the "softer" points which will articulate better at the cost of a bit of increased body roll.

Oman4x4

Laurie Bridger
On the edge of my seat in anticipation of some updates!

It's been a bit quiet - been travelling for work - but now we're getting back on to it! At the moment just doing a bit more work on the door gaps as it looks good from the side - but when you look along the body the doors are out a bit on the bottom. Need a bit of tweaking so it's flush all the way around.

Then will be finishing up the front upper control arm attachments - and set the body mounts straight and hang the front fenders and test the articulation...

Yuman Desert Rat

Expedition Leader
Subscribed. Love what you're doing? What are your plans for all of that bed space?! I have an LJ with a lot squeezed into it. Are you doing the cage with a canvas type soft cover or a tonneau cover with open space? Seems like a shame to let all of that space not get used. Can't wait to see what is next!!

jtpaintball70

Adventurer
Damn... I remember following some of your earlier builds on JF and was amazed... Those were nothign compared to how amazed I am right now!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad