AEV Brute: The Ultimate Overlander?

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
The stretched JK chassis that AEV uses for the Brute could, with appropriate suspension changes, be fruitfully used as the basis for creating an EarthRoamer XV-JPS, a stretched version of the "within the JKUR footprint" mini-motorhome they made a few of. The stronger engine now available would be a considerable improvement over the original 202-hp version, and the extra length would allow for more flexibility in the layout and make it better for two people.

I'm not quite bored enough to Photoshop up the proposed example, but you can probably look at this profile of an XV-JP and imagine what it would look like if stretched out another 2.5 feet to match the Brute's length. This would allow the cabin length to be close to 8 feet, which is long enough to put lengthwise beds in it and perhaps replace the fold-over Loftop with a more straightforward way to get standing height.

ER05.jpg

toxicity_27

Adventurer
I think the Brute is great and would have no problem buying one if I had the money to do so. The biggest issues I see with it are the payload/towing and storage protection. I would like to see AEV's numbers on what they feel with the stretch, suspension and body changes it can safely haul and tow. Also with it being essentially a custom vehicle I don't know of any toppers or tonneau covers to protect any of your equipment in the bed from weather etc. I'm sure given enough time AEV could custom build something for you though.

Some other things I just thought of is the fact that a lot of the Brutes I see have the 6.4L engine. Which is fine, however I would also like to see the fuel mileage numbers they get, what I've seen hasn't been great. Sure you could stick with the 3.6L, but I'm sure someone who can pony up the money for a Brute would like more power. Now with that power I would think AEV would look into changing out the front and rear axles as well. Putting that kind of power with 35" tires on the factory Dana 44 axles seems to me to be begging for them to break. However if you were to keep the 3.6L I think it would be okay.

mikeJKUR

Adventurer
I love looking at AEV Jeeps but would never buy one. The want to much for want little thwy have done and I for one don't think one company makes the best parts for everything I would want on a vehicle.

That new Colorado has some potential. Really hoping it doesn't suck. . .
2015-chevrolet-colorado-side.jpg

I was hoping they would bring some of the stuff they had on the HT3 over and putmon the Colorado. Now that was a great truck.

Nissan is a doing a diesel this or next.

GR8ADV

Explorer
The stretched JK chassis that AEV uses for the Brute could, with appropriate suspension changes, be fruitfully used as the basis for creating an EarthRoamer XV-JPS, a stretched version of the "within the JKUR footprint" mini-motorhome they made a few of. The stronger engine now available would be a considerable improvement over the original 202-hp version, and the extra length would allow for more flexibility in the layout and make it better for two people.

I'm not quite bored enough to Photoshop up the proposed example, but you can probably look at this profile of an XV-JP and imagine what it would look like if stretched out another 2.5 feet to match the Brute's length. This would allow the cabin length to be close to 8 feet, which is long enough to put lengthwise beds in it and perhaps replace the fold-over Loftop with a more straightforward way to get standing height.

ER05.jpg

Wait, what? Did Hiscox just turn down a build??

aluke0510

Adventurer
In all honesty I struggle to see new Jeeps as true overland capable rigs. One big reason is the poor payload capacity. I believe you guys even did an article discussing that. What does AEV do to compensate for that in the Brute? I see the whole thing weighing more than the JKUR. Is AEV through their modifications able to list it as a higher GVWR even though it is the same basic chassis, axles, brakes, etc. as the JKUR?

I see if we are talking building a vehicle starting with newer models today to fully sustain 2wks give or take the way I see a lot of people building vehicles is to go with a full size truck. This makes the new diesel RAM a good option as well as the quite incredible payload ratings on the long wheel base tow package Ford F150's. If we are talking an ultralight minimalist overlander sure; but that is no fridge, no big bumpers or huge tires, no heavy roof rack roof top tent, no heavy and poor use of space drawers, no big propane stove. We are talking driving the vehicle and living out of it like you are on a backpacking trip as the payload gets consumed a lot by water, extra fuel and passengers...

Disadvantage with the full size trucks is they don't have the trail ability of compact vehicles; but it is really not too different from the Defender 110 and 130 or the Toyota 70 series trucks. That and they don't have that look most people are after.

Edit:
BTW I remember doing a comparison of a lot of vehicles when I was looking at what I would do. A high weighting on the comparison was balanced payload to a 700mile range. That is subtracting the weight of fuel to go 700miles based on the city mpg. Top performers were full-size trucks and the Toyota 4Runner. They trumped the Land Rover Discovery, Jeeps, Toyota Tacoma and 80/100/200 series by miles. I was flabbergasted by the performance of the 4Runner but somehow it gets like a 1500lbs payload and decent fuel economy smacking a lot of others in the face including compact pickups.

Last edited:

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
Truly one of a kinda and a beautiful rig. I have been in love with this since I seen it, I was even to the point of if I were to get a re-enlistment bonus I was looking to have this done to my JK. However with the economy and all re-enlistment bonuses are a thing of the past as not many people are getting out. But over the years I have started to grow away from this rig, I would rather have AEV over haul my 2012 JKU and keep the Wrangler body. The 4dr can be a little clumsy at times stretch it out even more ad I think it would be a little much. Also after seeing these rigs in videos off road (rocks) they don't seem as capable. Now I would love to have one for a daily driver.

Expedition Rig: I think it would do great, looks great, functions great really cool set up AEV has going.

Just a quick share.. I think this would as well function as an overland rig however on the trails, man it would be tight.
Looks like the Jeep swallowed a Suburban.

I've been lusting for the JK Six-pack since those pics came out. I'd love to crawl through it in person. It does need an extended height roof........and a couple of safari windows too!

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Wait, what? Did Hiscox just turn down a build??
I gotta get the family farm out of foreclosure first. :sombrero:

Actually, I seem to recall reading somewhere that AEV wouldn't sell the stretched JK chassis except as a finished Brute. And then there's the issue of what to do with the largely useless leftover JK if I disassemble my XV-JP to make an XV-JPS.

All in all, just a free idea for someone else . . . like EarthRoamer.

jscusmcvet

Explorer
Otherwise the Wrangler, and a utility trailer are more practical for my use.

I stand with this comment. Wrangler plus trailer built out for whatever your need of the trailer is about as good as you will get and for less than this rig. Again, as has been said I suppose that depends on how you are going to use it and what you call overlanding.

Sure is sweet looking though.

John

Maxcustody

Explorer
I would love to have one......but cost is definitely a factor!!! this is my setup
f9fede3f020f1abd335464c9d72207f2.jpg

ae97b13248b5a808b8edca3225eb8eb7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

goin camping

Explorer
I guess how you travel is the key.

Love the look and the ooh ahh factor but range is my concern. Also must point out I don't camp and roam with lots of stuff. Coleman lantern, stove, chair, sleeping bag, clothes and a couple of ice chests which all fits easily in the JKU. If extra fuel, fire basket and firewood are needed. The m101 comes along for that.

If I camped and roamed with fridges and a bunch of other stuff. I can't help but wonder if this vehicle would be large enough.

Last edited:

Scott Brady

Founder
It comes down to the utility and capability for me. I am finding the Brute to be incredibly versatile, yet significantly more capable than any pickup on the market. I don't pack heavy, so the payload is not an issue. It is the storage volume and flexibility that makes it so useful. I can mount a roof tent at bed height and still have enough room below for storage boxes. I can haul a light dirt bike on all of the trails now (if desired). I can even mount a Fourwheel Camper shell model and still have enough payload remainder.

Regarding a published payload number, AEV is understandably quiet on that subject. The Wrangler is rated to 1050, and that payload remains (officially) with the Brute. I would feel absolutely comfortable matching the payload of the Tacoma, around 1,400 pounds. The reason for this is the EarthRoamer XVJP. It is built on the same platform, and easily pushes that 1,400 lb. mark. EarthRoamer worked closely with Chrysler to comfortably hit those numbers. I owned an XVJP, and it never had an issue with the weight. The only factory limitation to the 1,050 is the rear springs. They are soft for ride comfort and articulation. The rear Dana 44 would support the 1,400 pound number, and does in other applications like the Titan.

Omar Brannstrom

Adventurer
I dont really understand the pickup thing for overlanding. I understand that the bed is great for farmers that hauls a dead pig or other filthy stuff that You dont want to bring into the vehicle:)

But for overlanding in bad weather the camping stuff could be wet and cold on the bed. If you have a top over the bed it will probably not be wet but cold but with freezing temperature your clothes, sleeping bags etc will be ice:snorkel: and it will probably not be so good for electronics like camera equipment, computers etc and the water cans will freeze.

Even if You have a top over the bed it will have high humidity in it in bad weather.

I do understand the bed would be great for bikes and such.

I dont think You can sleep in a pickup, as You can do in a 5 door Wrangler

155162087.jpg

Wathing video

152596013.jpg

Then some might think where do I put all my stuff when sleeping. I will put some stuff in the front seats and on the Front runner interior rack

Rack here

155855307.jpg

Omar Brannstrom

Adventurer
I see the bed side walls on the Brute are rather low or standard but anyway You have to make some safety arangement if You put stuff over the wall height.

In 5 door Wrangler You can put stuff upp to the roof

156605142.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad